PDA

View Full Version : electronics feng shui

Iveyrock
11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Help me think this out, please
Which would you rather have in your main living area, tv or computer? Or both?

we are considering moving our computer to the living room, which is in the center of the house. Would that be good, since we spend more time online then watching TV? Or bad, since it will be easier for me to pop on GCM? :think

We are considering then getting a new monitor, and a tv card, so that we can get rid of two computers (one just doesn't work) and combining it all onto one desk, in the living room. So, my issue with that is, occasionally Ian watches TV while I'm on GCM, nursing Chava to sleep. However, I'd like to limit that anyway... whatcha think?
The monitor will be smaller than our current tv monitor.

There will be some initial cost, but we will sell our old stuff, including sound equipment and entertainment center, and we will save on electricity (we would get an LCD screen).

What am I not thinking about? What am I not seeing? I hate spending money, I hate making major changes without feeling like I've considered every tiny detail...

loveberry
11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't have my computer anywhere but the main living area. I am on it pretty much all the time (WAH) and I like being in the thick of what's going on. :)

RiverRock
11-30-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm not a feng shui expert, and I could go both ways on this one. On one hand I would like to have a tv in my kitchen so when I'm prepping meals I can get caught up on Oprah or the news, but in reality, we don't have a tv or computer in our main living rooms (tv in a rec. room, a smaller one for videos-yep we still have vhs-in the toy room, and computer in the home office). Our living room has a woodstove, and books so we curl up and read there. Even our stereo is housed on shelves in a closet.

I know one family that keeps it's computer in the kitchen so the teens who use it are able to be monitored. Until recently I think a parent even had to log the teens on. For safety and accountablility I can see having a tv and computer in common areas.

Now I'm dreaming about a small flat screen in my kitchen again... :shrug