PDA

View Full Version : MommyTays declutter and simplify accountability thread

mommyTay
11-29-2007, 07:24 AM
I need to get my house in order, things need to be simplified so I have more time to enjoy the kids. 3 of my fosters moved last week, so it should be easier to pull things together. My house has 10 rooms, a basement and the barn that need to be decluttered and more functional.

The Plan:
start with the couple easiest rooms so it feels like accomplishment, then attack one of the worst areas so its easier to maintain.

Goal #1 Main Bathroom
We just finished remodeling it this weekend. Dh took out everything down to wall studs and bare plywood floor.
1. sort all previous bathroom contents and get rid of the unnecessary items
2. organize storage cabinets for easy access and usability
3. establish bathroom cleaning routine (the big items have been in place for a month, with 7 children things need serious cleaning already)
~wipe down everything
~~tub & sink
~~swish toilet
~~clean mirror
~~locate and freshen toothbrushes (how do they keep losing those things?)
~hang towels
~collect laundry
~mop floor

I should be able to get most of this room done today. The preschoolers go to school at 10:30am and I will have about 5 hrs to get it done.
Will check in tonight to update and decide whats next.

joyful mama
11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
oops wrong smilie...

I meant :hug good luck! sounds like a good plan.

tempus vernum
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
:yes Sounds like a good plan. WHen we painted was THE best time for us to declutter and organize and simplify. It worked really well because it looked so nice :heart Then it was so pleasing to the eye I wanted to keep it that way :tu

crunchymum
11-29-2007, 11:33 PM
:tu

i highly recommend coming up with goals for each space... as in "how do i want this room to function? how do i want to feel in this space?" that seems to really help simplify, when there's a clear purpose for each space. :smile

mommyTay
12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
:woohoo The main bathroom is finally organized!!!!

Next is the Kitchen and Dining Room. there is a huge opening between the 2 rooms, so I will be working on both at the same time. There are a lot of things that are shared between the 2 rooms.

Goals
~Get rid of stuff that is rarely or never used and sort the plastic storage containers. I don't think 1/2 the lids in the kitchen belong to the containers. :hunh
~organize pantry and storage areas. Too much stuff gets bought and lost in the back of cupboards. DH keeps telling me he can't find any LightBulbs and goes out to buy more. :idea I already pulled those together this afternoon. Just wait till he sees how many we really have! :jawdrop :roll
~get a better system for preparing meals and snacks (probably do bento for the kids). Also need to have good menu WITH sufficient supplies for tastier healthy meals. we are so tired of the quick & easy..same-old same-old. :no2
~The coat/boot/shoe area is in the dining room. need to fine tune that area and find a way to hold the kids to doing there part putting things away. :doh

Off to clean a cupboard or two while I am cooking dinner. :yes