PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide what is to be hung and what isn't?

naturallia
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Over Thanksgiving week, I've been over at a lot of people's houses and I got glimpses into their closets when putting our coats up and I'm surprised at what is being hung up...

So how do you decide which clothes you hang up in the closet and which clothes you fold to put away in your dressers?
:shrug

LadybugSam
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I always folded, but i own too much clothes now, so i hang all of my shirts except my undershirts and nightgowns.

Undies and regular pants go in the drawer, pants i have to iron get hung up.

HTH

Rabbit
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I hang everything that will go on a hanger and still fit in the closet. There's no space for pajamas, so they have to go in drawers. Bras and panties don't hang well, so they're in the drawers, too. Socks pretty much stay in a basket on top of the dresser, as I never quite find the time to fold them often enough to claim they go in a drawer. ;)

The children's clothes don't fit on adult size hangers very well, and we don't have a separate closet for them. So Samantha's dresses are all that get hung up of the children's stuff. They have the rest of their stuff folded into drawers.

I hang so much because it's a lot faster than folding, and it puts everything where I can see it, instead of stacked up in drawers.

2sunshines
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
depends on how much drawer space I have. When I am low on drawer space, more gets hung up. :shrug

AdrienneQW
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Me: everything is folded except dresses, skirts, and blouses

DH: only underwear, t-shirts, and sweats are folded - everything else is hung

DS: everything is folded except polo shirts and button-down shirts

DD: everything is folded except dresses

We use Joy Mangano's Huggable Hangers in all our closets, and the kids have the kid-sized hangers. :tu

Mother of Sons
11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I hang almost nothing. It takes too much time. Mostly just dress shirts and my dresses. Folding is faster.

cybelle1980
11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
When I was growing up, I had more drawer space than hanging space, so pretty much everything except my few dresses, skirts, and collared shirts got folded. Then, from college onward, hanging/folding space has been more balanced, so now I fold my undies, bras, socks, undershirts/camisoles, PJs, jeans, sweaters, and workout/lounge clothes (i.e., sweats and gym shorts). I hang my dresses, skirts, pants that aren't jeans or sweats, and all shirts that aren't sweaters or sweatshirts. :)

ETA: I forgot to address your question of how I decide. Undies/bras/socks get folded because they don't hang well. Camis, PJs, and jeans could be hung but it's easier to fold them if I have the space. Same with sweats, plus sweatshirts tend to stretch out on hangers. T-shirts aren't as bad about that, maybe because they aren't as heavy. :shrug Anything that might get wrinkled if folded (and on which wrinkles matter) get hung up. I like no longer having fold creases and wrinkles in my t-shirts! :tu

hey mommy
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
All shirts(except exercise shirts and pajamas) get hung up. Pants/shorts, etc. get folded and put in the dresser(or, on top of it, since we need new dressers).

greendelight
11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I hang up everything except sweaters, socks, undies, bras, swimsuits, shorts, and pjs.

Rabbit
11-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I hang almost nothing. It takes too much time. Mostly just dress shirts and my dresses. Folding is faster.

That's hilarious to me. Folding takes me FOREVER. And it's never "right" enough for me to like them folded anyway.

mom2threegirls
11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't like folding either. I hang everything except jammies, underwear and socks, sweaters, swimsuits, and sweats/junky clothes (like loungey pants and tee's- stuff we might wear when we're lounging around the house all day and not going out). We have more hanging space, though, and I find that the kids don't mess with the clothes as much when they're hanging. If they're nicely folded in drawers they get messed up. Not to mention it's WAY easier for me to fold a whole bunch of clothing pieces than fold :yes. If I can keep a big bulky dresser out of a room by using the closet space that is already there, built into the room, than I will definitely do that! I like to use half of the kids dressers for the non hangable items, and the other half for small toys.

tempus vernum
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
WHen I fold, everything is in constant dissaray from people digging through their piles :/ Then it's all wrinkly and messy ALL THE TIME. SO if I can hang it, I do. :) Since dh built our upstairs we have nice closet organizers so we have plenty of hanging space :)

I only fold p.j.'s and pants because they don't need ironing (I don't buy clothes that need ironing). Well, I don't hang undies or socks :giggle I batch the socks and toss undies right in the drawer

interesting question. Never thought of it much. But now that you mention it, it's very interesting :)

naturallia
11-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Wow, nobody is saying the same thing :roll

I guess it's up to us.

RachamMama
12-01-2007, 08:55 AM

That's hilarious to me. Folding takes me FOREVER. And it's never "right" enough for me to like them folded anyway.

This is me Natalie...I noticed that you have ADHD and OCD listed in your siggie. Is that referring to you? I deal with these issues (personally) and it plays majorly in how I keep house. Looking through a dresser for clothes completely freaks me out... :doh

That said, we hang everything that will be worn in public and fold/stuff anything leftover. It's easier for the kids to put things in their dressers vs. reaching the higher rods in their closets.