PDA

View Full Version : what should i do for a window treatment?

GrumpyMom
11-23-2007, 06:22 PM
We just had a new picture window in. I used to have three long windows exactly the same size on one wall. The room was a little gloomy so I made the center window big and with no sticks. It looks nice and lets in a lot more light (I was surprised at how much since it's indirect light). Anyway, when the windows were identical I had wood blinds on all three (my wood trim in the house is dark oak and the blinds match that color). The blinds looked nice, especially since they carry a kind of "library look" through the room (we have a wall of dark oak built-in cabinet/bookcases around the fireplace)...but they did cut about 20% of the light AND they'll block the view out of the picture window (not that the view is much right now with the leaves down and it's kind of bleak outside...but in the summer I plan on having a nice flower garden). I had a woman out to measure for window treatments and she suggested the generic sillouettes (sp?) to give privacy and keep the light, but 1) they are very expensive, 2) the baby is likely to play with them and tear them, and 3) I'm not sure that's the look I'm going for anyway. I'd like something with a little more texture, maybe bamboo shades? My husband likes the idea of roman shades. The easiest (and cheapest) would be to get wood blinds to match the existing but I'm really afraid of cutting the light, and they'd be a pain to draw completely in the summer when I want the view. Cellulars would be affordable and also give complete light during the day and privacy at night...but they aren't very exciting. There is about a foot or so of wall between each window so I could do some panels? In the adjoining kitchen I have red floral balloon valances that I love (from Target :shifty), so any fabric would need to coordinate with that. I have neutral carpet and walls (kind of a butterscotchy, goldish) and dark brown leather furniture.
Has anyone had good experiences with bamboo or roman shades? I'm in need of some advice! TIA!

Hermana Linda
11-23-2007, 09:27 PM
A big picture window sounds so nice. :yes We had one growing up.

Well, I don't really know anything about window treatments. I usually go with homemade curtains while I wait for dh to buy something, which he never does. :giggle

AmyDoll
11-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a window like that in my living room too - I like sheers. I have embroidered sheers over each of my side windows and a loooooong scarf over the middle window with a pair of sheers. The side windows have holdbacks

GrumpyMom
11-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Is the scarf made of the same sheer material? Is everything on the same long rod or separate rods?

jewelmcjem
11-24-2007, 01:27 PM
We got some bamboo roman shades fairly inexpensively at Home Depot that still let a lot of light in -- in fact, I'm going to line mine because they let too much light in!! They weren't in the custom window treatment area, they were in the aisle with the mini-blinds. I'm not sure how wide they go -- they had several widths though.