PDA

View Full Version : realistic expectations for siblings

Tengokujin
11-19-2007, 05:24 AM
I think I need a reality check. I have an almost 8 month old and a 4 yr old. They do pretty well together, and I notice a lot of affection. :heart But my older son gets definitely frustrated with sharing his mother, and now, with the baby's mobility, I realize that I have NO IDEA how to help them both with the whole "he touched my toys" issue.

I talk with Jason about how to give David other toys, how to speak "not for David" as he gives the baby an appropriate toy, etc. He can do this, but doesn't always. I know that is reasonable--he is learning not only how to give him toys, but also how to deal with his own frustration.

But beyond that--are there strategies I can employ to make this less of an issue? We cosleep as a family, so the living room is the primary interaction area, and it is where Jason really wants to be when he plays--with all of us. We did set up a room that will eventually be the boys' bedroom as a toy/playroom, but Jason doesn't use it that much. He really wants to be with us, and that's good. I don't like the idea of " if you don't want the baby in your stuff, go to another room" kwim?

I try to keep living room clutter to a dull roar. Meaning, about once a day most of the toys are put back in the playroom, or the baby's toys go into small bins in the living room. There are a couple of Jason's toy sets that "live" in the living room. It didn't seem right to me that none of his toys be allowed to be there continuously. But there are certain toys that always must return to the other room, like Legos. Trains and train tracks must be played with in the playroom.

I am just tired of turning my back, and hearing a scream as the baby is hit in the head for using a toy car as a teether. It just doesn't seem possible for Jason to keep all his toys out of reach during the day.

I know, this is not the most unusual situation. It is boringly normal. But I could use some insight in terms of strategies and what I can reasonably expect with these brothers.

CapeTownMommy
11-19-2007, 06:38 AM
No advice, but :hug2

Heather R
11-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm surprised this has not generated more discussion, as I'm sure most mom's of more than one child can relate. My dd is 3 years old, and my ds is almost 8 months, so I'm right there with you. I have used most of the same strategies you've mentioned. One thing I've heard about, but haven't tried, is using a playpen - NOT for the newly mobile baby, but for the older child to be "protected" in while doing puzzles, building legos, etc. This way their stuff is "off limits" to the baby, but the older child can still be in the main living room. Granted this only works for things that don't require a lot of floor space, but it might solve some of the problem. And maybe if the baby sees his big brother playing in the playpen, he might be willing to spend some time there himself. (Just to be clear, I'm NOT advocating Ezzo-style "playpen time").

At our house, I use gates in a similar way, ie, gate the baby in the kitchen/dining room with me, so Faith can play freely in the living room.

I hope you find something that works. I'll post again if I discover some miraculous solution.

expatmom
11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Honestly, our most difficult 'adjustment' time after having baby #2 was when he became mobile. Dd1's world as she knew it came to an end once he became mobile. She is such a kid of ordered play & he, well, just isn't. ;) It was a tough time until he was old enough to truly interact & play with her. (That is supposed to be reassuring that it is indeed time limited & will end eventually.)

What about table time for your older ds? Can he sit at the table with some of his toys, out of reach of your younger one?