PDA

View Full Version : what is a good digital camera?

Texas_Mom
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
We have had an Olympus and Fuji digital camera. The Olympus was okay, but it broke so we got a Fuji becuase it took the same memory card. Well it has now broken, one to many falls I think? :shrug Does anyone have a good camera that they have gotten recently they would recommend? We don't really have a price range at this point as they have come down so much since our first one and second camera's.

cmecu2
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
We really like Nikon alot. We had a Nikon Coolpics camera which is great for a little digital camera. They aren't real expensive and small enough to carry. I think Sony is a good brand as well.

We gave the coolpics to our oldest dd and went ahead and bought a digital slr camera. We got a Nikon D40, spent about $500 on it and have 2 lenses but this will be the only camera we buy forever now. My dh loves it!

Lavender Lily
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Olympus I heard is the best digital camera.

cmecu2
11-15-2007, 11:38 PM

That was our first digital camera and I wasn't crazy about it.

Mother of Sons
11-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I only buy nikon or canon. I've heard good things about the sony cybershot but I haven't tried it personally. I'm interested though because I want to get a little purse camera since I hate pulling out my slr for snapshots.

Lavender Lily
11-16-2007, 04:53 AM

That was our first digital camera and I wasn't crazy about it.

I have a canon myself. A camera repair guy (you think he would be the one to know) told me that Olympus was the best b/c the lense doesn't come out so if you drop it while using it, it won't break.......like my canon did. :doh

musicmama
11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
I love love love my Canon S1!

I *am* looking for a smaller camera for my diaper bag/purse though. I want to get a Sony Cybershot WSC-XXX one. Natalie has one and it's fast, easy and takes awesome pictures. I think the WCS-300 is out now?

I've had a bad experience with an Olympus :duck

inesperada
11-16-2007, 07:39 AM
We have a Canon Powershot A710 IS and it's perfect for a point&shoot - it has everything I wanted: Image Stabilization, 6x optical zoom, etc.

AdrienneQW
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I was a diehard Canon girl (PowerShots, Rebels, digital Rebel) until my mom let me borrow her Fuji FinePix point & shoot. The low-light capabilities completely sold me, so I bought one and haven't looked back. She had the F10; I bought the F30 for me and the F31d for MIL; I believe they're now up to the F50. I *adore* my F30 and haven't picked up either of my Canon point & shoots in over a year.

lmgeenw
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you looked at Consumers Reports? Maybe you have to be a member, but my mom has an account so I was just looking there today. They don't really say one brand it better than another. It just depends on what you are looking for and what features are the most important to you. I can tell you their "best picks" if you IM me. :)

Marielle
11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
we just decided on a canon s3 IS to upgrade from my crummy 2mp sony cybershot with only digital zoom. :shifty

Can't wait to get it and this camera was less than we paid for said crummy cybershot about 5 years ago. This time I want to learn more than just "auto" mode so I'm picking up a few well recommended books and vowing never to butcher photography again LOL.

BeckaBlue
11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
ive stuck with olympus since the pictures ive taken with it ompared to any other came out so much clearer, even with the same specs

2sunshines
11-25-2007, 07:03 PM
There's not going to be a "best" camera. It depends on what features are most important to you and how much you're willing to spend. The best camera for me may be different than the best camera for you if we want different features, kwim?

Do you care about size?

Optical zoom?

Megapixel?

What kind of pics do you hope to take? What do you hope to do with your pics?

domesticzookeeper
11-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I love my Canon Powershot A520, it's really great for a point-and-shoot :rockon (though I have my heart set on a Nikon DSLR :heart)

2sunshines
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, I forgot to say, we have a sony cybershot and have been very happy with it.

at the next upgrade I'll be going with something different only because a higher optical zoom is really important to me. :yes

TinyTotMommy
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I love my Canon Powershot A520, it's really great for a point-and-shoot :rockon (though I have my heart set on a Nikon DSLR :heart)

Not that happy with our A520. Lots of missed shots as a result of shutter lag. What do you think we're doing wrong? Is there a secret button on this thing that allows for faster shots? I have an active 2-year-old who doesn't like to sit still for long and so we end up with a turned head and closed eyes quite a bit.

domesticzookeeper
12-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Well, admittedly, I do not have a toddler :shifty So while my shots tend to be successful, that's probably because my subjects are rarely wiggling and on the move. You're right, the shutter delay on the A520 can be pretty slow :shrug

Ima LeShalosh
12-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I was a diehard Canon girl (PowerShots, Rebels, digital Rebel) until my mom let me borrow her Fuji FinePix point & shoot. The low-light capabilities completely sold me, so I bought one and haven't looked back. She had the F10; I bought the F30 for me and the F31d for MIL; I believe they're now up to the F50. I *adore* my F30 and haven't picked up either of my Canon point & shoots in over a year.

:rockon
I just bought the FinePix s700...if you want a point and shoot, but still have the manual modes and lense options of an SLR, then the S series is the way to go :yes