PDA

View Full Version : clean laundry is still stinky--help!

schmamy
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I just washed a load of whites--undershirts, socks, etc--pulled them out of the dryer just now and noticed that the armpits of DH's undershirts smell bad (like BO)! I've never noticed this before. I've never, ever noticed *him* having BO--and with the shirts "clean" it's not overwhelming, I only smell it if I stick my nose right up to the underarm of the shirt. But I don't want him to have to wear stinky shirts! Don't know if it's all the shirts or just the one. (And it's not one of his oldest shirts that just needs to be replaced--it's a fairly new one.)

Anyone ever have this problem? What did I do wrong/how do I fix it?? :scratch

rstump
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I use a little vinegar in the rinse cycle on mine....helps with odor and fabric softening. If you washer doesn't have a rinse cup than you can use a downey ball but just add half vinegar.

dovergirl
11-15-2007, 04:17 AM
I use a product called Bac Out, made by Biokleen. You just squirt some on, let it dry, then wash again. It always works. I've also used full stength Citrasolv. That works to but it s bit harsh. (my husband works in road construction - can you say dirty, stinky laundry? :no2) The Bac Out is also the best thing I've ever used to clean the toilet. I highly rec. it.

MarynMunchkins
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Did you wash on hot? That usually solves that problem - especially with whites. :)

Marielle
11-15-2007, 08:03 AM
I soak whites overnight in hot water with a healthy scoop of oxyclean. BUT, hubby had an issue with yellow pits in his undershirt when he used a clear gel like deodorant (mitchum I believe).

The oxyclean/hot overnight soak has kept whites the best I've seen them.

Psyche
11-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I second the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

schmamy
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Did you wash on hot? That usually solves that problem - especially with whites. :)

yep.

I soak whites overnight in hot water with a healthy scoop of oxyclean. BUT, hubby had an issue with yellow pits in his undershirt when he used a clear gel like deodorant (mitchum I believe).

The oxyclean/hot overnight soak has kept whites the best I've seen them.

We have the yellow pits issue too--hubby uses the clear gel, that's what he likes best--didn't know the two were related. I'm not all that concerned about how they look, as long as they smell clean. I mean, we throw them away if they get nasty, but a little yellow doesn't bother me or DH. :shrug

I did run another wash cycle and put vinegar in the rinse and it seemed to help. I'll have to remember to do that every time.

Marielle
11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
sorry I didn't clarify - for hubby the yellow pits issue was not only the yellow color but that the deodorant was causing a buildup so that the pits were also stiff in his shirts.

He's switched to another solid though and with the oxyclean/hot water overnight soak you can't even tell his shirts have been worn.

Myrtle
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
If you've used vinegar before and it's worked for you, that's great. You'll know it's a good option. But I used vinegar for a long time b/c I didn't want to use the chemically stuff, and I noticed my whites were getting dingy. I think someone on here said it was b/c we have hard water. I don't remember. I just know I don't use vinegar in my wash anymore b/c it made my whites not so bright. I do like soaking in OxyClean, though. It's a little pricey, but it works and has saved many of my children's outfits, too.