PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sites do you allow and not allow you kids go by themselves

mybodymyself
11-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Wondering about for a some time now.

:ty

BriansLovie
11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
My son is only 18 months old so he's not allowed on the computer yet. :giggle

2sunshines
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I actually have a great browser that someone recommended her that only allows predetermined sites. So the child cannot go beyond those sites. That has worked really well for us. :yes

mybodymyself
11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
2sunshines,

:ty and thats a great browser for sure.

AdrienneQW
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
My son is only 5½ so he is not allowed on the internet unsupervised. He can use his software CDs independently, but if he's online he must have supervision. :)

cmecu2
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Our girls have their own profiles on our computers with their own bookmarks. They like the Disney site and things like that. But we also have this awesome program, it's like net nanny but it's better. If the girls are doing a search on Google or if they type their own link in, it blocks ANY adult site! I thnk it's called Open DNS Guide. Not sure I'd have to ask DH about that. But it's the best around he thinks and he's a computer guy!

HomeWithMyBabies
11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
We have a filter that I can set for different users. Ds is only four, so he's not experienced with surfing the net, but he does like to type words into the search engine. With the filter I feel safe letting him play like that just in case he presses the enter button. Usually, though, I just open the pbskids.org site for him to play with.

loveberry
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
If you guys with good internet nanny programs could post the names, that would be great. So far Alex is doing fine (except he found a site where he can listen to 50cent and Beastie Boys :/) but I have been thinking about adding something for when I can't be right next to him.

FTR, he likes and is allowed to use without specific permission: Pandora (music), AdventureQuest RPG, the National Geographic site, googling images of animals, orisinal, gamefaqs, gmail, and homestarrunner.

Homestarrunner is really kind of inappropriate for kids and I am not going to go into why I allow it but I didn't want to leave it up there as something a typical 9yo should be watching.

HomeWithMyBabies
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Jess, we have SafeEyes, which lets you determine how long the user can be online, what kind of content is available to them (you pick from a list what can be allowed, blocked, or what you will receive an alert about if that user attempts access to specified content/sites), what sites are always permitted, and there can be more than one user created. I really like it.

ellies mom
11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I actually have a great browser that someone recommended her that only allows predetermined sites. So the child cannot go beyond those sites. That has worked really well for us. :yes

What browser do you use? We would like something like that for DD.

J3K
11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
My teens are allowed just about anywhere they want. The rule is that I must view a new page with them for the first time. I will sit with them while they browse and determine if that is something that I want them to view. It usually is because they know what I do and don't allow in the home.

My ten year old usually has an older child helping her and stuff.

cmecu2
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll ask Travis in the morning what the name of the program is. He's asleep right now. But I know he thinks it's the bomb and it works extremely well. And it's not something you install on your computer, if I remember correctly it's installed on the router. But I will ask him in the morning and post it.