PDA

View Full Version : First Time Grocery Shopper

Serendipity
11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Tomorrow, I will be doing my first grocery shopping ( yes, I have grocery shopped many times before for my parents and grandparents but not for myself) !! So besides the obvious-food, what kind of things do I need...Can you please help me develop an afordable list

Here is what I have thought of so far...

Flour
Sugar
Milk
Butter
Olive Oil
Sea salt/Pepper
eggs
Bread

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

rstump
11-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Do you have a meal plan done yet?

Will you be eating 3 meals at home? Making lunches for work?

Doing baking?....thinking you will want vanilla, baking powder, baking soda

Fresh fruits, veggies, salad stuff, salad dressings (or good oil, lemon, vinegar, dried herbs)

cindergretta
11-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, you'll want some fresh fruits and veggies, but only enough to last a few days. You don't want them going "off" before you eat them.

Get some frozen veggies to have on hand. They keep, yk? :wink

Peanut butter, jelly, cheese, lunch meat, etc if you are a sandwhich person, maybe tuna? (If you opt for tuna, get mayo! :grin )

Rice and/or noodles

Pickles? Crackers? Tea bags? Coffee? Cocoa? Cereal? Oatmeal?

Ok, that's some of what I thought of.... :mrgreen

mybodymyself
11-09-2007, 09:51 PM
heartofanurse,

Ditto with what Rennee said to you on this. Plus, I will look for deals as well.

:ty

Serendipity
11-09-2007, 09:53 PM
ooh good ideas!!! I'm not a picky eater so keep em coming

I will tell you what I wont eat

PICKLES...I'm a pickelphobe and am litterally scared of them!!!!!! :sick

Serendipity
11-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Do you have a meal plan done yet?

Will you be eating 3 meals at home? Making lunches for work?

Doing baking?....thinking you will want vanilla, baking powder, baking soda

Fresh fruits, veggies, salad stuff, salad dressings (or good oil, lemon, vinegar, dried herbs)

Yes, I will be preparing 3 meals a day, 1 is a packed lunch for work...

I really struggle with healthy breakfast ideas...I'm not a huge cereal, oatmeal fan....don't want to eat eggs every morning any ideas?

cindergretta
11-09-2007, 09:59 PM
OK-- NO PICKLES!!! :giggle

Do you eat meat? If so, you'll want a few packages of meat. They can be frozen- hamburger (IMO, the leaner the better) chicken, ham, steak, pork chops, etc.

If you don't eat meat, perhaps several kinds of varieties of beans- kidney, white, northern, pinto, etc. (Love beans!! :yum ) They make great soups with veggies and tomatoes! And barley! Oh, I love barley, too!! (Yeah, gettin' hungry here....)

Do you enjoy spaghetti? Tacos? French toast? Pancakes? Meatloaf? IOW, think of yoru favorite dishes and get those ingredients.

Yogurt and muffins are good for breakfast. Bagels w/ cream cheese, English muffins, etc.

rstump
11-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Our breakfast range from...

Pancakes, waffles, quiche, french toast (all freeze great so you can make different batches and freeze part for another day.

Rice Pudding, Toast w/ nut butter, eggs w/bacon or sausage.

Baked Oatmeal, Oatmeal Pudding (porridge), Cheese Toast, muffins are great and you can do so many different ways.

hmm...I know there is more. Just can't think of it now.

I second the frozen veggies, canned beans and canned tomatoes (my FAV are the fire roasted). Lentils....so yummy.

Grains.....Rice (Brown, Wild, Basmati, Sushi), Quinoa (whole protein), Corn meal, Polenta, Hulled Buckwheat,

Niphredil
11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
If it were me - ;) - I'd buy enough food for ten basic meals that you could make any times (even if it's canned goods & frozen meat) just for a bas... you'd always have back up- if you didn't what was planned or if you don't get a chance to shop or it a rough spot in your budget. Beans, rice, pasta make great things to have on hand. You can make several different meals with a can of corn, come black beans and flour tortillas as a base.

EVOO... minced garlic... beef or chicken broth... spices... Worcestershire sauce

Munchy stuff like popcorn... applesauce... grapes... pretzels... cheese cubes

Hot chocolate, coffee & tea for winter.

Hmmm, sounds fun!

cindergretta
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, sounds fun!

It does! Kinda makes you want to go out and start your own kitchen, brand new and fresh! :giggle

Serendipity
11-10-2007, 07:18 AM
OK-- NO PICKLES!!! :giggle

Do you eat meat? If so, you'll want a few packages of meat. They can be frozen- hamburger (IMO, the leaner the better) chicken, ham, steak, pork chops, etc.

If you don't eat meat, perhaps several kinds of varieties of beans- kidney, white, northern, pinto, etc. (Love beans!! :yum ) They make great soups with veggies and tomatoes! And barley! Oh, I love barley, too!! (Yeah, gettin' hungry here....)

Do you enjoy spaghetti? Tacos? French toast? Pancakes? Meatloaf? IOW, think of yoru favorite dishes and get those ingredients.

Yogurt and muffins are good for breakfast. Bagels w/ cream cheese, English muffins, etc.
:smile :hkiss :oreo :cookie2 :watermelon your making me hungry! mmmmmmmm

allisonintx
11-10-2007, 07:20 AM
you don't have to eat 'breakfast food' for breakfast.

HomeWithMyBabies
11-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Something to remember to keep costs down--many store brand products taste just as good if not better than the more expensive brand names.

I'd get some cinnamon, too. :yum You might need it for your desserts/baking this time of year.