PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bathroom!

benica312
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Okay, so we just bought a house and our bathroom is really deep purple! It has kind of grown on me so I cant decide if I want to change it not. What do you think? I have these awesome pictures that I put up but they are pink and black and kind of vintage looking. They dont really match but I love them! (they aren't pictured) Have any good ideas? I wanted to do a pink and black bathroom...but not sure... :scratch :shrug3

:help

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z12/benica312/P1010084.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z12/benica312/P1010083.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z12/benica312/P1010082.jpg

mom2threegirls
11-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I like it! It's a nice shade of purple- about as neutral as purple can be ;). If your DH is ok with it and you like it I'd definitely keep it! The black would look AWESOME in there, not sure about the pink though :think.

Congrats on the new house!

benica312
11-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I just have always dreamed of a pink bathroom ;) - I wanted to do a really soft pink, something that dh could handle. but I am on the fence, it would be a lot of work to re-paint all of that...maybe I will keep it, I just need to learn how to use accents...

OH and you cant see it in the pictures but it has this crazy flower border - I want to replace it :think

Calliope
11-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd get rid of the flower board but the purple is rad. :rockon Purple's an "it" color. Neither warm nor cool, neither masculine nor feminine. It rocks.

Personally, I would never make my DH try and get business done in a pink bathroom, soft pink or otherwise. But then, I spent years trying to come up with non-plaid, non-flowered bedding because I think it's mean to make him try and sleep in a flowered bedroom. :shrug

A creamy, shell pink with lots of other neutral tones incorporated might be okay. I'm a big fan of spa-like neutral-toned bathrooms.

Herbwifemama
11-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I love the purple, but if you want a pink and black bathroom, that's cool too. If your dh doesn't care, then go for it. My dh wouldn't care about how the house is decorated, though I do consult him, he usually just looks confused and tells me to do what I want. Or unsure, and then says he trusts me. :giggle But if he's really opposed, compromise on the master bath, and make the guest bathroom black and pink. I think the guest bathroom is where to put the real style anyway, because that's what people see. (We were going to do a Chat noir black and cream color scheme, but now we're not moving there.)

benica312
11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, dh doesnt really care about the bathroom because I *let* :giggle him do the guest bathroom has *his* bathroom. He painted and did it all Penn State....there are Penn State paws painted everywhere and a Penn State rug, shower curtain, the works! I am not sure how I feel about it now since it is the bathroom that guests are going to see/use but its done now...but it made him really happy so... :shrug so I feel like I have free rein over the master bath. He told me that he didnt care about the pink but I still feel a little guilty about doing that to him....I just wanted it to be one of those bathrooms where you walk in and its just like your own little spa, a beautiful room while you are getting beautiful!

erinwtx
11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I say paint the walls the soft pink you desire and then bring in the black with accesories. For ex. get a pink and black shower curtain you love and match the pink to the pink it in. You can do black and pink towels, find some black bathroom stuff like a cup, kleenex holder, soap dish, etc. Do some black and white pictures or other pictures with black frames. Sounds cute!! Maybe I should change mine!

BHope
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I love that purple, so I'm sure I'm no help. I could see dressing it up with some black and white or doing some tan and brown...

I will say that painting over the deep purple with light pink is going to be a PITB.

mom2threegirls
11-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I KNOW my DH would make a fuss about a pink bathroom, unless it was ONLY for the kids ;).

Good luck taking that flower border down! :shifty I just took down a bunch of wall paper borders in my house and they are SUCH a pain :yes2. I went crazy with borders the first year we lived in our current house and they're so style specific that we outgrew them fairly quickly. I've already made DH promise to remind me how hard they were to take down if I even MENTION putting up a border in our new house ;). They do really pull a room together quickly- just NOT fun to take down. Fabric softener mixed with water in a spray bottle works great, though- just rip off the parts of the border you can and spray that on the rest and it softens it and makes it easier to take down. :yes Wallies, OTOH, are super simple to take down and achieve the same affect :yes. Anyways... ;)

ITA that painting light pink over the darker purple would be a pain but I also really like the purple so I'm not really any help either :shrug :giggle.

erinwtx
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
We painted a lighter tan over a dark mauve and yellow over white and black and red (it was bad) and it just took 2 coats and some spot painting. We didn't have to prime or anything.

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
you could totally do pink and purple with black accents. Those purples would look nice with a darker shade of hot pink. If you could find a shower curtain with those colors in it,it would be easy to tie it all together :think

bbl when i have more time..

righteous mama
11-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, really your choices are...

#1. Make the purple work. It's a beautiful purple and you could bring in some neat accents to make it very nice.

or

#2. Repaint (and thin no more...as my mom would say). Pink and black is a very neat combo. Honestly, if I was going to do pink and black with vintage pictures I would do this...

Mark off 3-4 inch stripes on the walls. Paint the entire bathroom in black and white vertical stripes. Hang your pictures and add some deep pink towels. Or paint top 2/3'ish of the wall in a nice pink, add a chair rail, do stripes (black and white) on bottom. Hang pictures and add some deep pink towels. I'm totally thinking of the American Girl tea room, if anyone has been there. I wonder if I have pictures...I'll go hunt...

righteous mama
11-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Sort of like this... http://wellsaid. starfishdiaries.org/wordpress/wp-content/photos/Chicago_2006_1734.JPG

Only, I'm pretty sure I know what the pictures are and I would go with a more deep ballet pink...

crunchymum
11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I say paint the walls the soft pink you desire and then bring in the black with accesories. For ex. get a pink and black shower curtain you love and match the pink to the pink it in. You can do black and pink towels, find some black bathroom stuff like a cup, kleenex holder, soap dish, etc. Do some black and white pictures or other pictures with black frames. Sounds cute!! Maybe I should change mine!

:yes i like marcella's stripe idea... :tu only, i would do pink and white stripes.