PDA

View Full Version : November housekeeping challenge: week 1: GOALS/LISTS

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Who's up for it?

You can either post your goals for the week or the day, whatever you're comfy with. Then, update it as it goes. Post your joys, frustrations, questions, etc. and we'll be here to help! Its up to you what you want to post. This is to help you, not to stress you out at all. It helps me to update my post with cross outs as I go along :)

Joyful mama's goals for Monday:

Wash one load of towels, dry, fold, put away
tidy computer desk and entertainment center, clean them
Put clothes away in bedroom, tidy br, sweep, mop
Tidy playroom
vaccuum couches in lr and family room
Pick one 'hot spot' and declutter for 5 minutes
general tidy of living room and girls room

yeah, that was too much for one day. I also food shopped, made a nice dinner and chicken stock for soup tomorrow. Then I prepared the craft, book and music for playgroup tomorrow. I'm wiped.

RealLifeMama
11-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Jen.

DH took some time to tidy up a bit this morning, so I did not come downstairs to quite the mess I left last night. It helps if he gets it going, because then I can focus a bit better on what I need to do instead of just getting overwhelmed to the point of shutting down.
So, I already washed all my dishes this AM.

My wide range goals are:

Clean the whole kitchen by the end of the week.
Clean out the refrigerator today
Do something with the pantry- last night, I was rummaging for sesame seeds and knocked open a pack of chopped, rolled dates and they spilled and went all over, through the wire shelves, and are all over the place now. So, when my counters are clear enough, I need to take everything out of the pantry and clean up the dates. :sigh Then I need to wait for DH, to get home so he can put everything back in an orderly fashion, because that is something I just can not do myself. He is my SPAM guy (Space Planning and Management- that was one of his jobs in college- God had a real sense of humor putting me with a SPAM guy for a husband!)
know what I have for laundry- what is clean, what is not
have clean bathrooms
vacuum floors
start using timer
start home management binder

do my daily tasks

Plan meals for the week (dinner is done, thanks for the other thread)

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I have to be organized this week, hence the threads. I feel like my life is spinnng out of control. spinning, spinning :sigh

rstump
11-05-2007, 08:45 AM
opps quoted instead of editted

jewelmcjem
11-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh, I have to come up with my own list? I was thinking maybe someone was posting assignments a la Flylady. I really need to get my butt in gear so I won't be embarrassed when church ladies come by to help out after the baby's born.

For today -

Get dishes done
Do two more loads of laundry -- washed, dried AND folded!
Put away laundry already done and all over the sofa
Tidy up dining room
Oh, get chicken in crockpot for later in the week
Decide on meal for today and get started if needed

rstump
11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these threads. I am SUCH a list maker. I need it to stay organized.

Let's see....what is on my list for today...

Make Quiche for Lunch & meatloaf for dinner (let sit for dinner)
Continue to reboot wash (sheets, mattress covers, towels, darks)
Put away all the laundry from yesterday & today
Make the beds this afternoon
Dust the pot hanger
Reboot dishes/dishwasher and do all handwashing (Brittany)
Take out all the compost of the heap
Unpack 2 more boxes (work on CM stuff)
Finish all NAIOP Rumble Silent Auction items
Clean out loft of toys
Straighten Toy Room
Put together houses in the backyard
Pull weeds in the front yard

AdrienneQW
11-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm in!

AQW's Monday List:

Clean kitchen
Move boxes in dining room to garage (and don't be bitter that DH didn't do it before he left like he promised he would)
Finish cleaning dining room
Pick up family room
Sweep floors
Clean back bathroom
Two loads of laundry (start to finish)
Go to Costco; put everything away properly

Teribear
11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm in:

TO DO TODAY

Laundry: At least two loads start to finish
Dishes: Clean the crock pots from their marathon use last week
Meals and Menus: Shop for and Prep several chicken based dinners 3 chicken lasagnas, 2 spaghetti pies and a mexican casserole

TO DO THIS WEEK
Holiday Prep: Find Top of Dining room Table

RealLifeMama
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Oh, I have to come up with my own list? I was thinking maybe someone was posting assignments a la Flylady. I really need to get my butt in gear so I won't be embarrassed when church ladies come by to help out after the baby's born.

Well, that was sort of what I was envisioning, like we would discuss our goals, and then after we saw what our goals were, we could challenge each other, like if we had listed "learn to clean up after meals" someone could say "Get off computer now and go do any dishes you have left from the previous meal" or whatever. I will admit I see a detailed task lists and my eyes just glaze over- I am that way with my own lists and other people's as well. I am a sweeping generalization type! Look at my list- that was my *trying* to get specific!

greendelight
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Everyone is so different! I *need* a detailed list, preferably in order of how things should be done. I'm a little OCD, though.

My goal for this week is to stick to my homekeeping schedule. I have 5 rooms (living/dining are one big room) and 5 days. If I can't get it in gear now, I will be totally overwhelmed when I have children!

So, Monday's goals are as follows...
-wash dishes
-pot plants
-clean out fish bowl
-clean off dining room table (where fish bowl goes)
-wash, dry, and put away clothes
-put away everything in kitchen
-clean fridge
-clean trash can
-clean stove (including drip pans)
-scrub counters and cabinet doors
-scrub kitchen floor
-scrub sink
-water plants

To get all this done, that means no tv (esp. 2 hours of Beverly Hills 90210 :bag) and no GCM for me! Ah! I'm off to get things done. I'll be back later tonight to tell you how I did and set goals for tomorrow!

LadybugSam
11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
OK i need some accountability here. My list today

Make the beds
clean up toys
1 load dishes, clear counters
Put away laundry
sweep & mop kitchen floor
scoop litter box (i ALWAYS forget!)

eta :woohoo Sam rocks! I am 90% done with laundry too, but want to teach caleb how to fold

Nightingale
11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Monday:

--laundry: washed, folded, put away
--clean up laundry room
--go through paperwork on kitchen counter and put away
--straighten up living room and Kiandra's room
done with those :jump so adding a few
--unload dishwasher
--vacuum
--clean up playroom

hey mommy
11-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm in. Right now my main goal is to do all the laundry and get it off the floor. That means folded and put away, even C's. At the moment I have half of my bedroom designated for clean clothes in baskets adn the other half is dirty clothes on the floor. I need to start keeping up w/laundry again so my hamper doens't get this full.

erinwtx
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I have already done some of these today! :smile Posting those too so I will feel some accomplishment!

Monday
unload and reload dishwasher
two loads of laundry totally done
Vacuum all bedrooms and put vacuum away!
Sweep and wet swiffer the kitchen and playroom

Weekly goals:
sweep and mop bathrooms
hang all frames, etc. in master bedroom
clean out garage
finish decorating DH's home office

Niphredil
11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm in!

This is for Monday & Tuesday
I need to find our bedroom - it's lost :O
Clean the kitchen
Return library books
Do mega laundry - wash, dry, put away - at least three two loads - one load done!
Sort out more clothes to toss
Put away N's 0-3 month clothes & bring out her 6 - 9!
Fix fallen coat rack in closet
Baby proof!
Move the cat box & seal up the back room for winter
Winterize windows
CELEBRATE my babes six month-a-birthday!

Later this week I need to - is it okay if I store it here for future reference?
Clean off the front porch & bring in grill & patio furniture
Pull out garden
Winterize car
Move all the stuff from yellow room & move into dining room

rstump
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Here is my update....

Make Quiche for Lunch & meatloaf for dinner (let sit for dinner)
Continue to reboot wash (sheets & mattress covers DONE, towels (dryer), darks(washer)
Put away all the laundry from yesterday (DONE) & today (almost)
Make the beds this afternoon
Dust the pot hanger
Reboot dishes/dishwasher and do all handwashing (Brittany - 1/2 done)
Take out all the compost of the heap - DONE
Finish all NAIOP Rumble Silent Auction items - DONE
Clean out loft of toys - DONE
Straighten Toy Room
Go pick up Forrest
Give baths & cut nails on little ones

AmyDoll
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
My morning was joyfully interrupted by an unexpected visit from a friend :heart Thankfully she gave me the 20 minute warning - so I ordered us lunch & cleaned the powder room :) I've loaded the dishwasher and wiped off the highchair tray. I've washed the couple handwashables & they are drying.

The baby is napping on my back in the Ergo - so I'm going to make coffee & fold/put away 3 baskets of laundry (1 is diapers, 1 is already folded & one needs to be folded) while I watch 90210 on Soap Net

I have dinner in the crock pot - but I need to choose what else is going to go with dinner. I have a Rosemary/Olive Oil Bolle (sp?) but I don't know what else.

I scrubbed the floor under the highchair with a rag - it was disgusting. I would have done more but I caught S & N fighting over a balloon & it looked like N was about to lose and become S's dog - with the balloon string wrapped around his neck. :jawdrop
I need to do a bit more in the kitchen - but I can't scrub the floor with the baby on my back - so we'll see how long he sleeps.

While I make dinner later - I'm going to declutter the bar - there's a bunch of magazines & books that have collected. Not to mention a powerwheels battery & halloween clutter.

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Well, that was sort of what I was envisioning, like we would discuss our goals, and then after we saw what our goals were, we could challenge each other, like if we had listed "learn to clean up after meals" someone could say "Get off computer now and go do any dishes you have left from the previous meal" or whatever. I will admit I see a detailed task lists and my eyes just glaze over- I am that way with my own lists and other people's as well. I am a sweeping generalization type! Look at my list- that was my *trying* to get specific!
I can do this if that's what people want :yes. I personally do well with lists, but how about I put in daily challenges? I like challenges ;)

rstump
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I am up for challenges. I LOVE how Flylady comes up with things I would NEVER think of doing probably EVER.

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
sorry for taking over the thread :blush. if anyone has any ideas about what you'd like to do, especially Amy, since it was her idea to start.. go for it.

No takers by tomorrow afternoon and I might just post a challenge anyways :poke

hey mommy
11-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Okay, I have one load on my bed to fold/put away and one in the dryer that will get done tomorrow.

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
:rockon great job everyone!

joyful mama's Tuesday goals:

fold and put away those towels :giggle
Clean all the dishes and put away part 1 is done, have a few more to do, will do after dinner dishes are made lol
wipe down counter in kitchen and declutter for 5 minutes
20 minute pickup in the master bedroom
10 minute tidy of living room and dining room

greendelight
11-05-2007, 08:28 PM
:sigh

I didn't do so hot today. I potted my plants and then went over to visit my grandma and potted her plants (took about 3 hours).

Oh well, onward and upward.

Tuesday's goals...
-clean living room and dining room
-finish kitchen (including dishes, stove, floor, microwave, trash can)
-meal plan for next week
-wash clothes

jewelmcjem
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I didn't do so hot either. I did get the laundry sorted and folded, but still have a load in the washer and one in the dryer. I did clean the entire bathroom, though! I think I'm nesting a little -- I was just sitting there on the potty and thought "this room is a pigsty! I've got to clean it NOW!" I am so NOT like that, lol!

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
(((greendelight)))

Potting plants is lots of work! tomorrow is another day. I had to cut down my to do list, it was just too daunting!

RealLifeMama
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
sorry for taking over the thread :blush. if anyone has any ideas about what you'd like to do, especially Amy, since it was her idea to start.. go for it.

No takers by tomorrow afternoon and I might just post a challenge anyways :poke

That is OK.
I think I just was feeling overwhelmed yesterday and rather hopeless regarding my house, and wanted some camaraderie and to feel like someone else was needing a nudge in the right direction also.
I am trying to limit my time online and probably can't devote a huge amount of time to encouraging and nudging people on this thread, and like I said, I get really overwhelmed by lists, but just knowing that someone else is having to do the same sorts of things that I am doing is a big help.

I still feel overwhelmed, but if I look at what I did get done today, I think I made a little progress.

Today, I had dinner ready in a timely manner. It really helps to know what I am cooking!
I doubled the recipe so could take some to a friend but it made way more than I had intended, so I got to take it to two friends instead of just one.
I did all my dishes after dinner.
We all have clothes to wear tomorrow and some of us know where they are.
I still need to run the dishwasher, but now it is too late because we have to go to bed. So, that will put me at a disadvantage tomorrow.

What are the major issues y'all are facing that make you fall behind?
Mine is lack of organization and my highly distractible nature, combined with both the inability to focus and yet still hyperfocus. Does that even make sense, how one can hyperfocus and also lack focus at the same time? I usually just don't even know where to begin and how to prioritize stuff.
Combine that with really just wanting to spend all my time playing with outdoors with my kids, reading to and schooling my kids, and then wanting to take breaks from that online, and also my 9 month old that is really fast now- going up stairs, getting into cabinets and the dishwasher, and he is already climbing!!! He does not nap unless I have him on me because there is nowhere for him to nap.

I did manage to clean out a few of the old stuff from the refrigerator and now I can see what is in there. Also, the fruit and veggie bins are accessible with fruits that can actually be eaten. Still need to clean the fridge though.

I am going to print off some donnayoung notebook pages tonight. Right now, as a matter of fact.

Marzipan
11-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I want to play. Here are my Tuesday goals:

clean out fridge
organize fabric stash
make muffins
mop kitchen
fold and put away clean clothes
keep living room decent
get stew ready for dinner

greendelight
11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! We can do it!

Since you asked about what makes us fall behind, here is my answer...
This will probably sound weird, so please be nice! For some reason, when given certain household chores to do (mostly cleaning the bathroom and the kitchen) I get really fatigued feeling. Like, I really don't want to do it so my body is creating these symptoms to get me out of it. See, I told you it was weird! If I quit and go lie down (like if I were really sleepy), I just end up watching too much tv. I have all the energy in the world, though, if it's something like decorating or something fun to do out of the house.

I'm really trying to kick myself out of it because I really don't think anything is physically wrong with me. We've just moved into our apt. so it's very decluttered (we did a good job giving away things we didn't really need) and organized, and I really would like to get into some sort of routine to keep it nice. Otherwise, I suffer from CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome). I feel horrible when DH's brother calls and says he's coming over because things aren't clean. I don't want to feel like that anymore!

I know if I get into a routine then I can keep it clean better (and it won't be so much WORK because it wouldn't be this dirty), but I just lack motivation. I think I also have to have everything *really* clean before I move on to anything else...which makes the cleaning spree last 10x as long. It also seems like sometimes life just gets in the way.

That's my rant for the night! Thank you for letting me vent...as you can see this has been bothering me for a while!

joyful mama
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
what makes me fall behind :think

well, lately its from the miscarriage and the physical and emotional fatigue from that. I foudn out I'm anemic, so I'm taking supplements, so that should help.

Keeping house and spending time with kids.. its hard when they don't want to be alongside me helping. I love folding laundry in the playroom while they play, and things like that.

a couple of probelms

1.too much stuff
2. busy and messy kids (my 2 year old is UNBELIEVABLE)
3. a messy dh
4. feeling overwhelmed... and I'm not a great housekeeper in general

a lot of things I guess

rstump
11-06-2007, 06:47 AM
For me I fall behind cause "I" have my plans but I also have 4 kids and they (especially) the baby seem to have their own plans.

I like to set goals....I think if I can get atleast 1/2 done I am doing good.

Sometimes my goals....should just be the basics.....did we eat, are we wearing clean clothes, and is the house clean enough....not CLEAN CLEAN (mom's version of clean) but more like dad's version of clean which is enough to live. (I found this out while I was on bedrest for 4 pregnancies)

So here is my leftovers from yesterday and Tuesday's TO DO List....

Make Quiche for Lunch
Make Meatloaf for dinner (Make early & let sit for dinner), snap beans early afternoon.
Continue to reboot wash (towels, darks, diapers, whites)
Make the beds this morning
Dust the pot hanger
Reboot dishes/dishwasher and do all handwashing
Send out PAC email for NAIOP
Take 1 hour to work on Helpmeet Study
Straighten Toy Room
Move old chairs over to firepit
Give baths

joyful mama
11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
how is everyone doing today??

rstump
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
So let's see what I have actually DONE today......LOL

Make Quiche for Lunch (made for dinner....had leftovers for Lunch)

Continue to reboot wash (sheets, blankets, diapers (in dryer), whites)
Make the beds this morning
Gather all trash & recyling from around the house
Take all trash down the street
Dust the pot hanger
Reboot dishes/dishwasher and do all handwashing
Send out DL NAIOP Email
Send out PAC email for NAIOP (waiting on approval)
Take 1 hour to work on Helpmeet Study
Straighten Toy Room
Move old chairs over to firepit
Give baths

This week's CHALLENGE......
SHINE the sink
Scrub and Clean all small appliances

Still LOTS to do....why does it always seem like we are working constantly but not getting a lot from the "LIST" done. :scratch

AmyDoll
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I ironed about half of dh's shirts & then I got bored :bag
I vacuumed the downstairs & mopped the family room & kitchen. I vacuumed & mopped the steps and the upstairsfoyer
I wiped down the boys bathroom & wiped the floor
I folded & put away 1 load of laundry and hung up a delicate load to dry.

The boys & I voted :tu

joyful mama
11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Still LOTS to do....why does it always seem like we are working constantly but not getting a lot from the "LIST" done. scratching head
your lists are pretty big honestly. I think you're doing great personally :)

Amydoll :rockon . your ironing comment made me giggle- kind of a pun, lol.. ironging board, lol.

rstump
11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I am such a list maker. These are actually small for me but I just have too much to do.......since I work p/t from hm, homeschool and have 4 kids.

I would hate to actually write it all out....too scary.

joyful mama
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I am such a list maker. These are actually small for me but I just have too much to do.......since I work p/t from hm, homeschool and have 4 kids.

I would hate to actually write it all out....too scary.
:hug2 I understand. I'm out of work for the month for health reasons (I work part time too). So, I'm trying to take it easy, but my house can't be in shambles the whole time :/

hey mommy
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
not good.. I haven't done much of anything today. I did manage to meet up w/some friends at the park, so that's a big accomplishment. But as for hte house, not much. I did some of the dishes.

Teribear
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Today is my three county, two state travel day so housework does NOT happen on Tuesday unless I feel like tossing in a load of laundry at night.

joyful mama
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Today is my three county, two state travel day so housework does NOT happen on Tuesday unless I feel like tossing in a load of laundry at night.
Tuesday is a busy day for me, too! I'm going to do a 10 minute pickup of the living room and dining room and the rest of the dishes. And thats it!

AmyDoll
11-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Amydoll :rockon . your ironing comment made me giggle- kind of a pun, lol.. ironging board, lol.

LOL I didn't even noticed :doh Must be all that XM Comedy making me funny. :giggle

RealLifeMama
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I did wade through laundry today.
Last night, I was going to print off the household notebook sheets, but sort of got overwhelmed by it.

joyful mama
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
check out my challenge in the other thread ladies. Maybe we could all use a little incentive :grouphug

greendelight
11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I think I'm going to set smaller goals so I can feel the thrill of success for a little while.

Wednesday's goals...
grocery shopping
put groceries away
pack Operation Christmas Child boxes
unload/re-load dishwasher
wash a load of whites

With church tomorrow night, I think that's all I'll have time for.

joyful mama
11-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Wed. goals:

tidy living room, sweep, mop
Tidy dining room, sweep, mop
laundry- any time at all folding, washing or drying and I'll be happy :lol
Tidy girls room, sweep, mop
deep clean main br
tidy kitchen, sweep, mop
find the floor in bedroom- er, kind of. parts are showing :shifty

Teribear
11-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Wednesday List: I work outside the home on Tuesdays so NO housework gets done then

TO DO TODAY

Kitchen: Clean Stove and Shine Sink
Laundry: At least two loads start to finish
Dishes: Clean the crock pots from their marathon use last week
Meals and Menus: Breakfast Bulk Cook - Chocolate Chip Waffles

Well, I decided on Chocolate Chip Waffles only...I'm out of freezer space at the moment to do any more. :) That's a nice problem to have. Off to clean my mess and finish the sink/appliance challenge.

TO DO THIS WEEK

RealLifeMama
11-07-2007, 07:47 AM
TO DO THIS WEEK

I can relate!

Niphredil
11-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm still stuck on Monday/Tuesdays list. N cut her first tooth last night, whoohoo! And then we *all* slept. I'm going to try to knock out a bunch of that stuff today, but she's having a high needs nurse day (and who can blame her?) But a new tooth & a still clean kitchen has to count for something, right?

NayneeNoo
11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
My goals for Wednesday:
Dailies:
Make beds
Feed cats
Load/Empty/Run Dishwasher
Vacuum entire house
Clean kitchen counters
Check trash

Extras:
Mop bathrooms
Clean bathroom sinks
Clean toilets
Clean tubs
Wipe bathroom mirrors
Clean/purge tub toys
Clean out van
Laundry (5 loads done @ 4:26)

For challenge:
Shine sink
Clean kitchen appliances

joyful mama
11-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm still stuck on Monday/Tuesdays list. N cut her first tooth last night, whoohoo! And then we *all* slept. I'm going to try to knock out a bunch of that stuff today, but she's having a high needs nurse day (and who can blame her?) But a new tooth & a still clean kitchen has to count for something, right?
:yes and :hug. I have a sick toddler who was nightweaned. but nothing but nursing would calm her overnight, so :sigh ITU.

joyful mama
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
amy, saw your list, and I updated out "challenge" to reflect it :hug

rstump
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is my Wednesday list.......

GF Pancakes for breakfast & clean up
Make meatballs for dinner
Continue to reboot wash (Darks, Whites)
Put away all the laundry from yesterday
Reboot dishes/dishwasher
Take pumpkins to compost heap
Input all registrations for luncheon
Finish name tags for luncheon
Set time/place to pick up co-op order tomorrow
Menu plan and find recipes for 2 - thanksgivings
Straighten Toy Room (kids)
Supervise kids cleaning their rooms
Change out water in fish tank (brittany)
Pick out and Iron clothes for tomorrow
Pack Day bags for all the kids
SHINE that sink before BED

Thursday....BIG JOBS
Attend luncheon
Finish thanksgiving planning
Totally redo garage
Cut the front yard grass
Change out more water in fish tank (brittany)

joyful mama
11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Thurs. goals:

not much busy day planned with the kids...

complete challenge 2
do some laundry of some sort
general tidy of living room- 5-10 minutes
general tidy of kids room- 5 minutes
general tidy of dining room- 5 minutes
general tidy of kitchen- 5 minutes

general tidy of br/quick clean