PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Thorough Rental House Clean and Sanitizing??

PaleBlue
11-02-2007, 12:33 AM
It's been a while since I've posted in this area. :) In short, I am about 32 weeks pregnant and SO tired and having major issues bending and moving. Hiring a maid isn't an option. We sold our house and have just moved into a *furnished* rental for the next 5 months, we're on the coast so it's a beach house that does weekly rentals in the summer, longterm rentals in the offseason. So being pregnant and expecting a newborn this year, I feel a strong NEED to make this house sparkle. Yet have no energy to scrub. It was cleaned before we moved in of course, but who knows how many people have been here before, and I am pretty picky about things like carpets being sanitary (the carpet LOOKS clean but my daughter rolls around on it :no2 ), tubs and showers having no germs, and especially....mattresses. Everything here looks ok, but I just can't relax about sleeping on foreign mattresses. Yuck.

Any tips for things I might not think of, or getting things sanitary in an efficient way? I know I'm pregnant and I'd rather have help than have to do it myself but I do, I'll wear gloves and mask.

I mean obviously, I know what to do, but am wondering if there's something known to work better. BTW this house does need, like, Clorox and a can of Lysol and stuff, at least once. Once it's been thoroughly sanitized and degermed....then I can do with the vinegar etc.

But I am at a loss as to what to do to make sure the mattresses aren't so yucky with unseen stuff. They have non-waterproof pads on them and I'm not happy with what I saw- someone at some point in the past had an "accident" on the king sized bed. Bleccch. And on the flip side of it too. I think I'm going to spray it down with Lysol then when that dries, zip it up into a vinyl waterproof fully-zip-around mattress cover, then put a cloth mattress pad over that so it won't be so noisy or stiff to sleep on- does this sound like the best route? I mean, I can't in good conscience just wash the current mattress cover and then put sheets on there and sleep. :no2 Yuck! I'm a germ nitpicker.

And the carpets, is there any other way to kill germs there besides Lysol? I would like to feel at home and ok about walking around barefoot. This is really a pretty clean looking house, it's just that hundreds of people have probably rented in the past few years. I don't want to wonder if anyone had athlete's foot or something.

Being pregnant, I guess I'm nesting. But I am not going to rest until this house has had a once-over. Subsequent cleanings, I can relax a bit over. It's the first one that's stressing me out because I want it 100% germ free. Aside from being like this over germs in hotel rooms and rentals, I actually believe it's not a good thing to try to keep a completely sterile environment IYKWIM, I try not to overdo the hand sanitizers and such.

So I admit, I'm about to hit the house up with Clorox (in the laundry, for the white sheets and blankets, and to soak in the tubs and to soak the rental's kitchenwares), Clorox wipes for the counters, Mr. Clean for the linoleum, Softscrub for the tub, etc. Any tips? The showers are ok but one of the tubs, the one my 3 yo is going to be using, is sort of stricken with buildup and grime. I'm not sure that Softscrub will do it. Since this is beach it looks like it has some old dirt and sand in the soap scum, yuck!

I dislike feeling this distraught over something being clean and I am sure this is pregnancy but at any rate, any tips to help me get over it by getting it thoroughly clean this once?