PDA

View Full Version : Freezing - Five for the Freezer/Saving Dinner?

liamum
11-01-2007, 06:11 AM
I am browsing the Five For the Freezer (http://www.savingdinner.com/about/dinner_freezer_recipes.html)
stuff on the saving dinner site. I think this might be a good option for us because DH gets called out of town unexpectedly and then I won't be wasting as much food.

Do you do freeze-ahead meals? If so, how long can they remain in the freezer - a month? Less?

RealLifeMama
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
I do not do freeze ahead meals now, but I have in the past.
It was great to just pull something out the night before to thaw and not have to prepare a whole meal in the evening.
Most of the stuff is fine for a month.
Leanne's recipes are usually pretty good.

liamum
11-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Amy :)

geegee
11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
I freeze on a regular basis.I usually double or triple my recipesor if Im making caeroles I make a couple extra until the freezer is full.Ive heard that some things could be good for up to a year in a deep freeze depending on how its packaged.Most anything would be good for a month if wrapped tightly.I hope this helps :heart :heart

liamum
11-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Thank you Gee Gee! I am excited to try it.

geegee
11-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I have also done aonce a month cooking season but that was too much work all at once for me.I really like it when the freezer is full and I can just pull something out.I have also noticed a big saving in our grocery budget because Iam not so proned to buy convience foods or go out to eat because we have dinner alreay made.I have also freezer cooked for new moms and gave them a months worth of dinner.What could be a better gift for a new mom at her shower :)

liamum
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I have also freezer cooked for new moms and gave them a months worth of dinner.What could be a better gift for a new mom at her shower

:yes that would be a fantastic gift. Also good when you hear about someone who is ill or bedridden for a bit.

geegee
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes we cooked for a large family that were all sick once.That was a challenge because they had many allergies :)