PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I've beat the system! (hand soap)

Singingmom
10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
:lol You know the foaming hand soaps?  I've discovered that once they're empty (and they empty pretty quickly) you can fill them almost completely with water and add a 1-2 second squirt of Ivory dish soap and -voila!- more foaming hand soap!  How cheap is that!  I know dish detergents might be too harsh for hands, but when it's diluted so much it seems very mild.  Somehow this makes me very happy.  :sillygrin (and it makes up for the once a year or so I splurge on that nice lemon soap from Bath and Body Works)

hey mommy
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
That's what I do.. i stock up at the Bath and body Works sales and then when they're almost empty, DH adds water to them. Works great. :)

Drew
10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
:yes I do this as well, but with Method Sweet Water hand soap. One refill container has lasted me months and it's still about a 3rd of the way full.

2sunshines
10-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Yep, I totally do that too. One big jug of replacement hand soap lasts us forever now. :yes

righteous mama
10-31-2007, 10:20 AM
We, and my parents, do this with our Shaklee soap. It makes a very good thing last a very long time. :rockon

AmyDoll
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
:yes And if you use distilled or boiled water it won't mold ;)

TuneMyHeart
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
I do the same with Dr. Bronners. :)

Forgiven
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I put shaved bar soap and water in my blender and then put it in empty foaming dispensers. It is much easier for the kids to use than the full strength liquid soap.

Myrtle
10-31-2007, 11:10 AM

I didn't know soap molded. :shifty

canadiyank
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I emailed method when mine ran out and I couldn't find refills. They said customers have had luck with 1 pt. regular method soap and 3 pts. water.

This Busy Mom
10-31-2007, 11:45 AM

I didn't know soap molded. :shifty

That's why all products you buy have a preservative system if they are something that is mostly water.

Lady Grey
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I do that with lavendar dr. bronners - and always have people saying how much they love the smell.

If you can find the Dial foaming soap with the seasonal label, it can be cut off and then you just have a nice plain dispenser.

Singingmom
10-31-2007, 05:48 PM
If you can find the Dial foaming soap with the seasonal label, it can be cut off and then you just have a nice plain dispenser.

That's a good idea! I have the Softsoap which is white and somewhat neutral, but I like the plain idea better.

Drew
11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I emailed method when mine ran out and I couldn't find refills. They said customers have had luck with 1 pt. regular method soap and 3 pts. water.

I don't even use that much soap when refilling my Method dispensers. I pretty much use just enough to cover the bottom with maybe 1/4 inch of soap and the rest water.

Marielle
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I bought two large 16oz foamer bottles as part of a coop and keep one in the guest bath, the other in the kitchen. Hubby loves it because the stuff is "prefoamed" as he says and the kids find it easier too to scrub their hands. We have a water softener so our soap usage is teeny tiny but this will help extend it (we're still working on the initial soap supply we got with our softener 4 years ago). Our appliances only take 1 tablespoon of soap at a time for washing dishes and clothes.

Eowyn
11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

:think That might be why our dispenser spouts keep getting stuck in the down position. :idea

hsgbdmama
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
:yes :tu I've been doing this for over a year now. This year's twist, though, is that I've been using up some of my B&BW body washes in there (put in about 1 oz) and I get fun scents, plus I bought several of the shower gels at Target (Pumpkin Spice, Cinnamon Apple, and Vanilla) for $1 each (get 5 refills for each), and it should get me through Christmas. Beats spending $4-5 at B&BW for each soap (when I can make it for 20 cents!!!).

herbalwriter
11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I do this, too - I use Seventh Generation lavender dish soap, which my sweet mother bought my by mistake a while back. :giggle I don't like lavender dishes but lavender hands are fine! And I add grapefruit seed extract - about 4 drops - to make it antibacterial and prevent mildew.

homemommy40
11-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I do the same with Dr. Bronners. :)

Me too- love that Dr. Bronner's soap! We use the peppermint diluted in a foaming dispenser!!

herbalwriter
11-07-2007, 07:05 PM
I used to love Dr. Bronner's...until I read the label...and checked out their website... :shiver

Quiteria
11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I used to love Dr. Bronner's...until I read the label...and checked out their website... :shiver

:yes2 Yeah, I feel kinda guilty about the almond soap we're hooked on...I'm alergic to soooo many things I'm hesitant to go back to conventional products...anyone want to start a WAHM business of liquid castille soap for me to buy from???