PDA

View Full Version : "I want it NOW!"

euromom
10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
This is something ds seems to say a lot lately. He is almost 3yrs old. What are some good things to say to him when he says this? I'm not sure what his concept of time is at this age. What is the best way to teach him about having to wait sometimes so that he understands it?

AmyDoll
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I'd just reflect his feelings & tell him when/if he can have it. If he pushes the issue & you've addressed it - I'd just say, "Asked and answered" and bean dip/distract him.

MarynMunchkins
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
:yes "Waiting is hard." is my standard response.

lavender mom
10-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I usually say something like. "I know. You really want it right now don't you. It's really hard to wait for things. You really want it now."

klpmommy
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm laughing at your title. :sillygrin I still feel that way sometimes.

Anyway, I try to reflect feelings like the others have posted, esp at that age. If it is appropriate I set the timer or show the kids on the calendar or give them an "after ---" statement. I also know with my kids who are a bit older that it makes a HUGE difference if I repeat what they told me so that they KNOW that I actually heard them.

JJsMom
11-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd just reflect his feelings & tell him when/if he can have it. If he pushes the issue & you've addressed it - I'd just say, "Asked and answered" and bean dip/distract him.

I like that, my ds will keep saying it and I never know what to say then. This is great.

You got some great responses here. :tu

euromom
11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm laughing at your title. :sillygrin I still feel that way sometimes.

:giggle me too! :giggle