PDA

View Full Version : How to find a doctor

MtnMama
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I need to find a doctor for my DD. But the idea is unsettling because of the bullying techniques I felt back when Lily went to a few well-baby visits. I felt like many of my ideas were dismissed and belittled. Questioning vaxing led to a lecture, delaying introducing solids until 6 months was belittled (the doctor actually told me to mix rice cereal with formula instead of breast milk for extra nutrition!), a condescending, "You don't have her in bed with you, do you?"...

ANYWAY, I didn't want to revisit that roller coaster, just wanted to give a little background on what happened. Lily's never been sick so I've never felt a strong need to maintain a doctor... but something's come up and I don't want to take her back to the doctor she saw way back when... but how do you find a doctor that is at least accepting of a different way of parenting?

I am riddled with anxiety over this. :nails

shercurrie
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I found my pediatrician through a local AP online forum. We *love* her. :rockon She's very pro-breastfeeding, is letting me take the time I need to make up my mind about vaccines, will let me delay/forgo whichever vaccines I want, basically supports everything I do. And she's very gentle and sweet.

Docs like this are out there- I hope you find one! Do look around online and see if there's a local community of AP-minded folks; they will be a wealth of info in this department.

Mama Calidad
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
In addition to that great advice, pray! :hug