PDA

View Full Version : I need 101 day-to-day ways to connect with your school-aged child...

marathonmom
10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I did some AP stuff when they were babies, but we were punitive for about 9 years of our children's lives.

I'm looking for day-to-day ways to build the connection with them - simple things - like a tousle of the hair, etc.

I'll start with way # 1 - I tuck them each in at night and take time to talk to them. I try to mention an affirmation of something
I saw in them that day which was positive, I ask them if there is anything we need to clear up, I pray for them. Then some kind
of physical connection (hug and kiss, back scratch, long hug) this is different for each child. The youngest likes to do the "I love you" sign in sign language.

Singingmom
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I love this idea. :)

#2 Reading aloud to them each day, even when they are proficient readers.

loveberry
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
#3 - Really listening, even when it's a long involved story about Bionicles or something equally kid-centric. :)

marathonmom
10-29-2007, 04:50 AM

alone or as a group?

Singingmom
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM

alone or as a group?

Hmm... I read to my boys together, so does that count? Reading something alone to them would be nice, but harder to find the time. I do feel like it's bonding for us, even though it's not one on one.

victoriousmama
11-02-2007, 09:51 AM
#4 - spend 15mins one-to-one time with each one everyday, on their grounds - games, silly stories, clapping games, a walk or chat in garden, counting stones, whatever according to the child's love language (whatever means most to them).

Sarai
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
#5- Say "good morning" w/a hug and a kiss (or maybe a rumple of their hair, a rub on the back- whatever they prefer) when they wake up and before everyone hits the ground running.

erinee
11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Volunteer at their school and eat lunch with them when you can. :)