PDA

View Full Version : Ok, ladies -- talk to me about detergents for HE washers!

hsgbdmama
10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
We bought one last night (an LG), and I've been poking around here a bit for what kinds of detergent to use (oh, and thanks MrsHutch for the recommendation to get the pedestals -- in bending over to test one they had at normal level ... :no :giggle ).

I do know I need to use HE detergents ... I do want to stay away from Tide ($$$) and see that Arm & Hammer and Purex have an HE version -- we do well with those, so I will need to see if I can find some. Read good things about Method and I'm willing to try that. Need to stay away from Era as it is too harsh on our skin. Any other recommendations?

How about non-chlorine bleach? Can I still use that? We have crummy water here, so I would be sad if I couldn't use that for my brights/whites.

:ty

Naked Camper
10-25-2007, 07:04 AM
ours has a bleach dispenser in it that automatically sends out the right amt.

I use one of the cheaper brands HE detergent (although can't remember which one). :shrug We're not a family of sensitive skin, and we have a water softener, so brand of detergent doesn't really matter for us - so long as it gets the dirt out.

Are you washing diapers? You'll want to find a detergent that's okay for your diapers in a front loading machine.

hsgbdmama
10-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Are you washing diapers? You'll want to find a detergent that's okay for your diapers in a front loading machine.

Cheaper works just fine for me. ;)

No, I'm not washing diapers any more -- Jack Jack is PT. :phew

Naked Camper
10-25-2007, 07:17 AM
lucky :wink

Weezie
10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
We use Tide as I break out in hives from anything else- trust me, I've tried.
We use Baby All for the girls. Not HE, but we just use a very little amt and it works.

MrsHutch
10-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Awww I got a shoutout! :sillygrin :heart I told you that you'd want those pedastals!

I guess I'm no help with detergents cause I use Tide Free HE. :bag

Quiteria
10-25-2007, 08:07 AM
All Small and Mighty makes an HE Free and Clear...they also make non-HE in a nearly identical bottle, so look closely! Our WalMart was carrying HE, now it's the other, and I don't know whether All is changing what they make or if WalMart is ordering differently...grrr...

Sears carries big buckets of powdered HE, inc. a Free and Clear version. That's working well for us, and I use a scoop of OxyClean with it for most loads now that I've dropped chlorine bleach.

For nonchlorine (or Oxy or anything else), you want to pair a liquid with liquid detergent, or a powder with powdered detergent. My liquid Chlorox II says it's ok for HE. Generally, I use powder b/c it's cheaper, but I use liquid in cold loads b/c I worry we'll react if powder doesn't dissolve well enough. Mind you, I have no proof of the powder not dissolving, it might be fine, but I'm so paranoid I've never tried it in cold.

Speaking of cold, Woolite makes an HE version, and I'm going to use that on baby carriers and sweaters. But it's scented, so we'll do an extra rinse and see whether it's worth the bother or not.

hsgbdmama
10-25-2007, 08:20 AM
For nonchlorine (or Oxy or anything else), you want to pair a liquid with liquid detergent, or a powder with powdered detergent. My liquid Chlorox II says it's ok for HE. Generally, I use powder b/c it's cheaper, but I use liquid in cold loads b/c I worry we'll react if powder doesn't dissolve well enough. Mind you, I have no proof of the powder not dissolving, it might be fine, but I'm so paranoid I've never tried it in cold.

That's good to know. I have both as I've had issues with powders not dissolving completely in cold, so for those I do use liquids. I stopped using chlorine bleach a couple of years ago so that's not an issue.

We'll be going into town today, so I'll look to see what stores have available for HE liquids.

And you're welcome MrsHutch!!! :rockon :hug

Iarwain
10-25-2007, 08:36 AM
:popcorn

I got my front loader in July, but I've only been using the BioKleen I had hanging around. I bought a 5-lb box right before my old washer conked out, and there was still plenty left in the old box. I've been using a tsp a load until this runs out which could take a year at this rate. But anyway, I'll eventually be looking for a HE detergent too.

Quiteria
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
:popcorn

I got my front loader in July, but I've only been using the BioKleen I had hanging around. I bought a 5-lb box right before my old washer conked out, and there was still plenty left in the old box. I've been using a tsp a load until this runs out which could take a year at this rate. But anyway, I'll eventually be looking for a HE detergent too.

It can void the warrenty, and may or may not rinse away the dirt as well as an HE detergent if your clothes are filthy. (dh is an electrician...lots of construction jobs for us...not to mention my toddler...) Be sure to run the clean cycle once in a while to rinse away the residue from the non-HE, or it will build up where you can't see it and contribute to mildewy smell...it makes the drum sticky behind the holes, then fuzz sticks to that, then you have wet fuzz sitting around, but behind the holes where it's not visible....one website says to use baking soda and vinegar, but the directions are for an old-style washer that you can manually advance the cycle :think

We had our old HE die after 2-3yrs, so with the new one we gave the extra non-HE detergent to my mom, and she uses it to wash things she buys for the kids. :heart

allisonintx
10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I use about two tablespoons of regular Arm and Hammer perfume/dye free for my clothes. I like Charlie's better, but I keep forgetting to re-order.

I do periodically strip my machine with a hot water cycle and a scosh of Dawn dish detergent, rinsing and rinsing until all the suds go away.

Iarwain
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
It can void the warrenty, and may or may not rinse away the dirt as well as an HE detergent if your clothes are filthy. (dh is an electrician...lots of construction jobs for us...not to mention my toddler...) Be sure to run the clean cycle once in a while to rinse away the residue from the non-HE, or it will build up where you can't see it and contribute to mildewy smell...it makes the drum sticky behind the holes, then fuzz sticks to that, then you have wet fuzz sitting around, but behind the holes where it's not visible....one website says to use baking soda and vinegar, but the directions are for an old-style washer that you can manually advance the cycle :think

Thanks, I'll have to look for that info on stripping out residue. BioKleen rinses pretty clean anyway so hopefully it won't give me too much trouble while I finish out the supply I have. I had already decided that I need to start adding vinegar to the softener compartment at least in the winter, plus we have well water which is another good reason to use it (rust stains). I bought my washer used, so no warranty anyway.

hsgbdmama
10-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Thank you all! :grouphug

I found some Purex :woohoo HE at Target, and I also picked up the Method -- we'll try both. Now I need to find an powder since the WindFresh from Sam's does not appear to be HE-compliant. A friend uses an environmentally-friendly type, I'll have to check with her again on how to obtain it ...

asher
10-25-2007, 03:07 PM
We use one from Costco called WinTree. It's an all natural one and it's awesome. It's HE, too. :)

Iarwain
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Just FYI, I did a little researching and the Bi-O-Kleen is safe for HE washers. :phew The manufacturer recommends using a Tbs though and I get a suds warning if I use that much. I do like having a natural alternative.

Quiteria
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Thank you all! :grouphug

I found some Purex :woohoo HE at Target, and I also picked up the Method -- we'll try both. Now I need to find an powder since the WindFresh from Sam's does not appear to be HE-compliant. A friend uses an environmentally-friendly type, I'll have to check with her again on how to obtain it ...

Sears sells powder, too. Ask the appliance guy.

liamum
10-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Personally, I do not like Method (just a personal preference). I use ALL HE most of the time.

2TMama
10-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I vote for charlie's soap too :) http://www.charliesoap.com

I bought some other store-bought brand, but haven't used it yet. I'll have to let you know ;)

TuneMyHeart
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Ah man, I was hoping I wouldn't have to switch detergent with our new washer. We use Windfresh from Sam's. It's the only thing that doesn't make me break out and it's safe for my cloth diapers. What do you guys wash your diapers with?

righteous mama
10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.shaklee.net/ecohome/product/HECompat

btw, it lasts a good while. The small bottle lasts about a month..maybe a bit more.

bananacake
10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I vote for charlie's soap too :) http://www.charliesoap.com

I bought some other store-bought brand, but haven't used it yet. I'll have to let you know ;)

I use Charlie's in my HE.

hsgbdmama
10-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, I got the washer & dryer yesterday and have been washing my heart out! :giggle I love them!

Both the Purex and Method are working well; I went ahead and ordered some Charlie's Soap for my powder. :tu

doubleblessings
10-31-2007, 07:23 AM
We use the dye and perfume free powder version from Sears. It is in the paint department here.