PDA

View Full Version : is this a safety hazard for electrical fire?

illinoismommy
10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I checked other switches and none of the others do this, but when i turn off the bathroom fan switch I see a clear flash of light behind the plate ?

Six Little Feet
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
bumping for ya because I do not know

BKMommy
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know either but I DO know that my bathroom switch is the only one I have seen do this too.

illinoismommy
10-22-2007, 09:34 AM
the only thing I could find online said consult an electrician, but it said that for everything.... I can't find anything about this but why would it be sparking

BKMommy
10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Come to think of it I used to see it in the bathroom at the old house I grew up in. Maybe something to do with the bathroom fans or just the bathroom???? Yeah searching for info like that on line is probably like searching for info like that about medical questions. Always "Consult your doctor" so no one can be held liable.

schmamy
10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
:nak2 i'm so paranoid abt stuff like that. i'll try to remember to ask dh--he might know

Ali
10-22-2007, 11:57 AM
My mom says her disposal switch is like that. It's no big deal unless you are turning it on or off with wet hands (she said it's shocked her when her hands were wet once), and that's likely to happen in the bathroom. This electrician answered that question well and even describes how to check it out for yourself - if you are brave (and know where your circuit breakers are).
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electrical-Wiring-Home-1734/sparking-light-switch.htm