PDA

View Full Version : How long can you keep warming food in a slow cooker...

GrowingInGrace
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM
before you ruin it?

I made for the first time shredded bbq pork. According to the recipe, I was supposed to cook the pork shoulder with onions and water for 10 hours on low. Did that overnight. Then it said to drain the liquid, add bbq sauce, cook for another 4-6 hours on low and then shred the pork. I thought that would be easier to shred the pork first then add the bbq sauce. Then I turned it on low.

After about an hour, I notice that there was some scorching going on. I think the bbq sauce was getting a little burnt, though it doesn't seem to have affected the taste (thankfully). But I need this dish for a potluck for dd's school tonight at 6 pm. Instead of keeping it on low, I put it on warm (and it has been on warm since about 10 am), because I don't want any more scorching going on.

Is it okay to let it go all day on warm? I check it every so often, mix it, add a bit of water if it looks to dry and more sauce because I don't want the sauce too diluted.

Should I be turning it off, letting it cool, and turn it back on later or just leave it on warm?