PDA

View Full Version : Would you cook in this? (How do I clean it???)

Quiteria
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I bought a bread machine at a yard sale this sumer, and confess that I left it sit on the floor for a while trying to figure out where to store it between uses. :O Never actually used it. Finally put it in the basement. Hey, I was pregnant.

Now that I'm feeling ambitious, I got it out today. While sitting on the floor, it was within the reach of my toddler, who thought it was great to open and close the lid. I wiped out the crumbs, and took out the metal pan to wash it in the sink....and found what I think were wet animal crackers molding away underneath between the pan and the oven interior. :hunh Now, I have no idea what substance they make that pan out of, but the smell has permeated it. :sick :sick I washed it, but it still smells moldy.

Soooo....would you still use it? If so, what do I do now to clean it? Keep in mind that I can't get the oven part too wet I don't think...but it does sem to be mostly the removable pan that smells., and it was on the outside of where the food is...but I don't want spores to waft into the house or into the bread. Should I cook something else first to sterilize it? Like water, or a loaf of plain white bread to throw away? Has anyone had success with a moldy nonstick pan before? (Not even sure if that's what material it is...)

I was so excited this morning...

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I think that if there is any mold smell left, that it's likely still got mold. I never recommend bleach, but this might be a good time for it. There may be mold spores in the machine's ventilation, too. If you can unscrew the case and peek around, you'll see what you need to, and can clean it.

The pan is coated with teflon, by the way. They all are, and advertized as a "non-stick interior."