PDA

View Full Version : Thumb-sucking question

LvnLtl1s
10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Why are people so passionate about this?

DS has sucked his thumb for comfort since he was about 3 months (22 months now). He doesn't do a binkie, just the thumb. And, I've taken him to a dentist who said his teeth are fine and not to worry unless he doesn't outgrow it by the time he's 5 or so. Sounds good to me!

It just seems that whenever we're out and about and people see him sucking his thumb they always have a comment to make, always. And it's either "my child did that, it's great that they comfort themselves," or "you need to get him to stop that, my child sucked his thumb until he was 20 and it ruined his teeth,". Today a woman at the postoffice saw him and started telling someone else in line (loudly enough so I could hear) that her son did that and how when he was younger than my DS she painted hot sauce on his fingers so he would stop :cry) I just don't understand why this is such a big issue with total strangers. Anybody know?

Rea T
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
First, let me just say that I have an almost 3 year old who still sucks his fingers, and I have no intention of forcing him to stop. I figure when he's ready he'll do it, right now he must need it or he wouldn't do it.

But it kind of squicks ME out, so I can see how it must feel for random strangers. I mean, imagine the germ transfer. Child sucks fingers, then places wet, slimy fingers all over whatever, pops fingers back into mouth thereby collecting more germs, takes them out to handle things, etc, etc. It's just kind of gross when you think about it. Although he's probably developing a cast-iron immune system.

BKMommy
10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Child sucks fingers, then places wet, slimy fingers all over whatever, pops fingers back into mouth thereby collecting more germs, takes them out to handle things, etc, etc. It's just kind of gross when you think about it. Although he's probably developing a cast-iron immune system.

:lol I think its the same with pacifiers. My dd has used a paci since she came home from the hospital and will NOT give it up so I don't feel the need to push it. She is talking great and her teeth look fine to me so I am not worried. If she wants it and its not hurting anything why should I take it away. Although I guess as a stranger its just ignorance. The way you were raised. Because before I had dd we were at the beach on vacation and I saw a three year old with a paci and I couldn't stop talking about how he should be off that already, his parents didn't care about him, blah blah blah. I just wanted to give you hugs :hugheart because although I am not there just yet, I am preparing myself for the looks and gasps of "oh that child shouldn't have that in their mouth at this age" What specific age do think we need to stop letting our children comfort themselves?

LvnLtl1s
10-16-2007, 04:42 AM
What specific age do think we need to stop letting our children comfort themselves?

My thoughts exactly! I know it'll be an issue if it starts affecting his teeth, but right now the dentist says it's not. I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to comment on it, and it does feel like EVERYONE. It probably doesn't help that he's big for his age so I'm sure people think I have a 3-yr old who is sucking his thumb.

KitKat
10-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Ok, well, to me, it really is concern. So, be somewhat flattered. I have found myself fighting the urge to say things at times when a parent says they don't care. Only because right now we are going through issues with dd from her finger sucking. It isn't just the worry that it will affect their teeth, but also the muscles in their tongue which can hinder speech. Or if you have a child like dd whose bite is completely off and jaw misaligned and we are looking at her possibly needing surgery.

To me, it is a case of, if I can save someone else's child the pain of what I know Sissy will go through, then yeah, I may slip up and say something. I am not trying to be rude if I do it, it is really a case of true genuine concern.