PDA

View Full Version : Disagreement on tickling

BKMommy
10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay I know this sounds so funny ;) but dh and I had a disagreement on tickling dd tonight. It wasn't a big fight or anything but he absoluely hates it when I tickle her. I dont ever do it long because my dad used to tickle me till I peed in my pants and I hated it but I think a little tickling is fun. He doesn't want me doing it at all. So it got me thinking and wondering if other people feel the same way he does. I have never seen anyone have such a problem with tickling :giggle

Singingmom
10-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I agree with you... I think a little is fine if it's ok with the child. Was he tickled mercilessly as a child? I can see how he would feel that way if he were. It can be abusive when the person doing the tickling won't stop.

hey mommy
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I think as long as the person being tickled wants/doesn't mind being tickled, it's okay. But if the person says no, then no means no. Or stop. same thing..

ArmsOfLove
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
my children absolutely love being tickled and it's a great way to teach and reinforce boundaries because when they say stop I do :tu

2sunshines
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
We tickle. :shrug

Have you asked your dh why he's so opposed to it?

ReedleBeetle
10-09-2007, 08:20 PM
You two sound EXACTLY like DH and I. I am ok with some tickling and Isaac LOVES it. Stephen is 100% against it because he was held down and tickled mercilessly and even when he was BEGGING his ex-dad (long story) to stop, he wouldn't. My dad tickled me until I peed my pants and I can't STAND that, but have never down that to Isaac. As soon as he says stop....I stop. 2 seconds later, he usually wants more :P~

3xblessed
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I never really thought about it until now, but I guess neither of us are big ticklers. :shrug3 I didn't like it as a child and I very rarely give my kids a little tickle. DH has tickled the kids occasionally but when they say stop he does. I don't mind if they don't mind. :-)

erinee
10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree with the others, as long as it's all up to the child, it's fine. My kids LOVE being tickled, and they feel a sense of empowerment because they can say stop and it stops right away. They love that and will keep saying, "Stop, go, stop, go."

My 9-year-old son is getting to the point where he isn't so touchy-feely as he used to be, but he still loves a good tickle fight, so for him it's also a way to physically connect.

I agree that it needs to stop when they say so, though!

BKMommy
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I agree with all of you ladies. Like I said my dad would tickle me till I peed in my pants (which is way overtickling because he would never stop when I asked him to) I hated it and thats why I immediately stop when I can dd thinks its enough. But he doesn't want me doing it at all. I don't know if he was ever overtickled when he was younger but I do not that he is very into old wives tales. He says that if you tickle a kid it will make them stutter :lol Hes got plently more about other things but I really don't understand where this one comes in. THats his main objection everytime I tickle her. I just roll my eyes and continue making my baby laugh until she says its enough. :P~

Maggie
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
We tickle a little and I always make sure to stop when they tell me to.

Marsha
10-10-2007, 05:57 AM
I hate it. Anything over 1 second makes me cringe. I do like one little poke and that's it. Dh is not ticklish and thinks if they are laughing, it's fun.

He does try to be sensitive but I sit there holding my breath sometimes. And the girls actually come up and ask for it in non verbal ways sometimes, so I guess it isn't hurting them.

I have horrid memories of it. NOthing will send me into a red rage more than being tickled. I bit my ex-h's hand until it bled on purpose when he did it in front of my family. He wasn't ticklish either.

joyful mama
10-10-2007, 06:17 AM
we're big ticklers, but stop when the kids tell us to. heck,we even tickle eachother, but to each his own. I'd ask him why he's so upset about it.

HomeWithMyBabies
10-10-2007, 06:23 AM
We tickle but it's up to the child. If they seem at all bothered by it or request that we stop, we do. I'm careful not to position myself in a way that makes escape difficult for my kids because I remember as a kid being unable to speak yet practically pinned down, and how helpless I felt.

Aisling
10-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Same here...dd and I love it, and dh HATES it. It took him a while to realize that not everyone hates it as much as he does. :giggle

Our family rule is that tickling stops as soon as the person says "stop!" even if they're laughing. Generally they ask to be tickled first. ;)

Lila
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I think I read somewhere that laughing is a panic reaction when you are being tickled :shrug. I never liked being tickled myself, because I don't like my personal space being invaded. Then again, depends on the person :)

milkmommy
10-10-2007, 10:06 AM
DD askes us to tickle her :shrug Our rule is no means no evena giggly no thats a second later followed by a tickle me again gets honored as a request to stop. (as in untill shes say okay do it again we stop) I used to love my moms tickles because they were fun just enough to be well funny but never just over the top. My father was the tickle till you pee and feel like your being stabbed all over never listening to cries of No stop :(. Because he thought it was funny. :/

Deanna

Katigre
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
ITA with Armsoflove - like other roughousing play, it helps children learn to set boundaries what is/isn't ok. We tickle DS and stop when he says 'no'. He seems to enjoy it b/c he often asks us to do it over and over and over again.

thomlynn
10-25-2007, 06:01 AM
A good friend's MIL thinks tickling causes stuttering. She will comment to my friend if she tickles her kids while MIL there.

BKMommy
10-25-2007, 06:03 AM
A good friend's MIL thinks tickling causes stuttering. She will comment to my friend if she tickles her kids while MIL there.

Thats why dh doesn't want me to tickle dd!! So weird...

loveberry
10-28-2007, 08:47 PM
my children absolutely love being tickled and it's a great way to teach and reinforce boundaries because when they say stop I do :tu

ITA. :yes