PDA

View Full Version : I know what I should have done.....

Victorious
10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
but I'm such a chicken.

Yesterday we were at church. Dd has picked up her crawling speed to about 90 miles and hour and will only stay in the sling while I'm standing so after the song service was over, we went to the nursery. DD is having severe separation anxiety right now so I stayed with her.

When I get into the nursery, there is a new visiting 14 month old little girl who is fussing. Not out right hysterical, but crying and trying to communicate that she wanted something. Workers are passing her back and forth and I take my turn with her to no avail. Of course, I'm thinking they should get the parents, but they keep on. I sit down in the floor to play with my dd and it was like :idea and the only worker under 65 sits down on the floor with her. The kid toddles off and plays! I thought from the way they were holding her she couldn't walk! This didn't stop the workers from hovering over her and repeatedly picking her up. The workers kept on saying, "She'd just take off if we let her, but I don't want her to fall!". :scratch

Then, little girl starts to fuss again and one of the workers said, "Look in her bag, surely there's a bottle in there!". They scour her bag to find nothing but a sippy cup and a loaf of whole wheat bread. Worker announced, "That's what's wrong with you, they weaned you from a bottle too early!". :banghead She's fourteen months old! She could still be nursing (of course no one ever thinks she might have never had a bottle), but if she was bottle fed I certainly don't think 14 months is too early. I should have told them that my 9 month old didn't have a bottle in her bag either-they probably would have reported me.

Also the loaf of whole wheat bread seemed like an odd snack for a 14 mo, so I would assume that mom is either very strict about appropriate food or there are some food allergies/issues. That didn't stop them from giving the baby a handful of animal crackers.

I know I should have said something, but given the age difference I think they saw me as naive and silly. Several times when I was just trying to make conversation they ignored me. Then, they gave another little boy an animal crackers and he signed clear as day more. They gathered around him and said, "Look how cute he is doing that with his hands!" I told them, "Oh, he's signing 'more' " and they just ignored me and called others over to look at him. Poor kid didn't get anymore crackers.

Mainly a vent, because I *know* what I should have done. I should have spoken up every time, I should have offered to get the girls parents (she did calm down and play with my dd eventually), I should have talked to the nursery coordinator. It's so great to have the older women around with their patience, but the desire to sit in a rocker and hold a baby all Sunday morning is not matched with a walking 14 month old! The church really needs to have a training to let these ladies know that things have changed from 40 years ago, and I should be the one to mention it :shifty. Ughh....I need to grow up.

erh384
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
:hug2 We have a similar issue in our nursery... the older ladies (usually 75+) like to sit & rock with screaming child while they just want to play. I'm ignored there too :shrug, so dd doesn't stay w/o me there.

booboo
10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
They should really ask younger moms to help out in the nursery. I know younger moms just want a "break" from their kids and ITU that but the older ones could either not be in the greatest of health for that kinda active play or be clueless as to how different things are with how people treat their babies.