PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with larger families - a question

Amber
10-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Does having a larger family get easier as your kids get older? I hope that question makes sense. It's just that I have been thinking lately...I love to have 1 or 2 more kids...but there are times when I feel like I can't handle the 2 kids that I have. I am wondering if it is just their ages, my boys are 3yrs and 1yr. The thought of going through the whole toddlerhood thing again two more times makes me think I must be crazy :O Of course by then my boys would be older and able to help entertain any other younger kids :think.

I'm just wondering what your experience has been...do does it seem like it gets easier with each kid...or am I just talking crazy. :giggle

ArmsOfLove
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
:yes :yes :yes absolutely :yes

especially when they've been GBD'd and raised with relationship/resolution/grace/etc.

Loveberry watched all 5 of my children the other day at the church and said it was the easiest job she'd had ;)

illinoismommy
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
:popcorn

tree_hugger
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know if my three count as a large family, but - YES! :yes It does get easier as they get older

They still need your time and attention, of course, but it is less physically intensive and a different way of relating.

:heart

illinoismommy
10-05-2007, 04:50 AM
I don't know if my three count as a large family, but - YES! :yes It does get easier as they get older

They still need your time and attention, of course, but it is less physically intensive and a different way of relating.

like how? is there always one left out? :O

MarynMunchkins
10-05-2007, 05:08 AM
My older two are in school during the day. And, with the exception of the noise ;), it's actually easier to have them all at home. Having just a 3 and 1 yo at home is exhausting. :phew I have to do all the entertaining and work - my older ones naturally help when they're here. :giggle

beatlemommy
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Well, I am baking number 4 right now, I guess I qualify :) Yes, it does get easier. My oldest is 5, and the last year, year and a half have been easier. They totally entertain the baby for me all the time. I did find getting through the day quite a bit harder when the oldest two (who are 16 months apart) were younger.

Dana Joy
10-05-2007, 07:20 AM
whenever anyone asks me how i do- or asks for my secret- i tell them they need a 10 yo and a 15 yo to help out- they are wonderful and without their help these toddler years would be a major pain.

klpmommy
10-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't have a large family - yet. :) DH & I still want two or three more kids.

I am only two weeks into having three, but in general having "older preschoolers" is *much* easier than when they were younger. P&E entertain each other, I can give them a project & walk away (doesn' mean it gets done, but at least they don't fall apart when I walk off, kwim?), the nighttime needs are less intense (although they have picked back up in the last two weeks, esp for E). Right now S is sleeping in the midst of the choas of P&E playing dinosaurs. There are days where other than meals, school time & a few other asst times during the day that I barely interact with P&E b/c they are so busy playing with each other.

Now- I also admit that S is so far an easy going laid back baby & that makes a *huge* difference. If S was like E was I would have a different perspective right now I think- E was so high needs.

Amber
10-05-2007, 03:49 PM
This is so good to hear. :phew I kept thinking that if motherhood was like this all the time I was going to lose my mind :O The rational part of my brain new it must get better...but it needs reassuring every now and then :giggle

deena
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
:yes

Heather Micaela
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I am banking on maturity making it easier. :nails :giggle

I realized that my ds will be just shy of 7 and my older dd just shy of 5 when the next one is born.

Ds was 5 when my youngest was born and was a big help. dd matured into such a nurturing big sisiter this last year that, despite the fact that she is 2 years younger, she is often a more of a real help than the oldest.

So the idea of a 7 year old and a 5 year old helping with 2 babies less then 2years apart sounds SOOOO much easier than when *they* were the 2 year old and newborn.

GotMyHeartFull
10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
yes, much easier. :heart

apmommyto4
10-08-2007, 02:21 AM

I totally agree! Our children are 8 mos, 2,5, and 9, and it DOES get so much easier! Most of my day-to-day work involves baby/todder care and supervision...homeschooling is a piece of cake, comparatively!

Mother Duck
10-08-2007, 02:35 AM
:yes it does get easier! We are a couple of weeks off having #6 and already the two year old is getting used to her older sibblings doing things for her :heart

singbanshee
10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Amber am I glad you asked this because i've got a 1 mo and a 21 mo and a business and I'm pretty much ready for the insane asylum. Add to that, the hubby has worked really long hours including weekends and there are days I feel postal. Yesterday I actually swatted my older son :cry Thank goodness everyone has said it will get better 'cause this season in my life was NOT why I wanted kids LOL. Last week the hubby asked if I'd like to try for a girl since he knew I really wanted a girl or just quit at 2 boys...um...ya...ask me in a year.

silly song mama
10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Definitely gets easier. "Many hands make light work." It is so nice to have older ones who can REALLY help with the work, the little ones 'help' but it usually involves more work for the one they are helping! LOL There are different challenges with older kids, but they are less physically demanding.

allisonintx
10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh yes! It's a whole different family when they are all older. My youngest is 5.5now and we can go and do things we never would have even attempted before. oh my everything is so much easier.

LittleSweetPeas
10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
i hope so. 4, 2 and 3 weeks is really really hard right now. :blush

mamaKristin
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
DH and I were just marveling the other day at how much easier almost 2, just 3 and almost 5.5 is as compared to this time last year (at almost 1, just 2 and 4.5). I can blink now. ;)

Kyasmom
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for asking this Amber! It is so encouraging to hear the responses! :heart :phew

RachamMama
10-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Another mama saying it get's easier! :yes :heart

Allison
10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
I only have three, and they are still very young, but it's gotten easier already.