PDA

View Full Version : Kid's bedrooms.... I'm dreaming

illinoismommy
10-04-2007, 03:21 PM
If I could find the prices within reach I would really like to redo David's room and prepare one for Maya before this baby is born but I don't know when she will move in there. I can do this cheaply and skip bed frames, but if we can manage it, I am interested in getting some kind of loft bed for David. I would prefer one that isn't so high as a bunk bed so that when I miss Maya crawling up there it isn't so scary.... but I found this one: http://www.potterybarnkids .com/products/dt250/index.cfm?pkey=rromgirksp and it comes in a wood color, and I love it. I know its labelled as a girl's bed though but I know David would love it, I don't know why they think the wood color is girlie because don't boys like forts too? I wonder where I could find this kind of thing for cheaper? I would prefer wood over metal though metal would be a lot cheaper... That's my first question. The second question is at what age would he grow out of this kind of thing and want something more grown? Just wondering. I'm drooling over this one except that its 1100 dollars :doh

Dana Joy
10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I cannot link to it :shrug
BUT Punky has a loft bed that my dad and grandpa built for her using the two sides of the walls as support and then a ladder and a beam. She loves it and she is 10.

illinoismommy
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I cannot link to it :shrug
BUT Punky has a loft bed that my dad and grandpa built for her using the two sides of the walls as support and then a ladder and a beam. She loves it and she is 10.

the link is broken and continues on the next line

Linnis
10-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Make one?

My Uncle made my cousins beds like this, my girl cousin was probably around your DS' age. He made stairs at the end going up sideways to the foot of the bed. He made railings the whole way around rounded off and it stood maybe 4 feet off the floor, with legs. He also anchored it into the wall and there was a reading nook under it.

I don't know if your DH is handy enough to do all that but he made it with pine and it was really nice.

tree_hugger
10-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I think that is great! I dn't know why they'd say its a girls' bed, though. I can totally see that with a pirate theme .... :yes

Maybe you could look on ebay for something similar? Or is your DH handy? :poke :giggle

:heart

illinoismommy
10-05-2007, 05:40 AM
We couldn't make one that was stable and safe enough. I made bookcases but thats a far cry from something my baby will sleep in or be under :O

I need to figure out what kind of cheap stores might have something like that.... or find it used .... or we could buy a "regular" loft bed and put in the walls underneath instead of the usual desk because I don't see why he would need a desk

ellies mom
10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I love that bed. I don't understand why they call the "wood" one a girl bed either. I can see the white one being "girly" but the wood one would be great for a boy. Except of course for the $1100 price tag.

Anyhow, a friend just got this Ikea bed for her son. I think it is $200. The picture on the website is messed up but I think it is the Kura bed.
Picture - http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/74619_PE191869_S3.jpg
Link? - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39842745

BHope
10-06-2007, 02:56 PM
You could improvise by purchasing a loft bed and then hang curtains around the sides, sort of tent like. Hard to explain, but I'm sure I could find a picture of what I'm thinking. Just not within the 4 minutes I have until boards close! Eek!

jenn3514
10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
We couldn't make one that was stable and safe enough. I made bookcases but thats a far cry from something my baby will sleep in or be under :O

We made one in the corner of the room. That way we had one long side and one short side anchored into every stud on two sides with 4 inch screws. Before we put the 4x4's on the corner to support the corners, dh (200 lbs.) was able too swing from the middle bunk braces. Very sturdy. And if you check sales or people getting rid of swingsets, you can anchor a slide to it. Then curtain rods and cute material finish it!

crunchymum
10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
that's really cute! have you looked at ikea? they have loft beds, and i bet it would be pretty easy to modify to make the playhouse... :think

illinoismommy
10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I love that bed. I don't understand why they call the "wood" one a girl bed either. I can see the white one being "girly" but the wood one would be great for a boy. Except of course for the $1100 price tag.

Anyhow, a friend just got this Ikea bed for her son. I think it is $200. The picture on the website is messed up but I think it is the Kura bed.
Picture - http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/74619_PE191869_S3.jpg
Link? - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39842745

sweet, that would work..... maybe in January or February we can go on a trip to chicago and go to ikea.... I will keep it in mind and see how much the van we need is going to cost. I know I am going to paint both rooms, and buy some bedding, but anything else is really optional. Oh and eventually I will need a bed for maya

crunchymum
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
oo, let me know when you come, we can meet up at ikea! :tu (well, assuming i haven't had the baby yet... ;) )