PDA

View Full Version : No Essential Oils in High Efficiency Dryers??

chelsea
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I love the idea of adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to clothing before putting it in the dryer in order to give it a nice smell (since I no longer use dryer sheets)...or tea tree oil in with my washer to kill germs (which I've done both). I just noticed though, that on my high efficiency dryer it gives this huge warning about "Do NOT put any clothing into the dryer that has EVER come in contact with oil of any kind. Death or fire can result" type of thing. UH OH! Can anyone explain this? Is using essential oils in the washer and dryer actually dangerous? :nails

Rabbit
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Oil can make it through the wash cycle, and can then catch fire in the high heat of the dryer. I'm not sure how seriously I'd take the warning, though.

Marzipan
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah. Our dryer (the ancient one) had that in the book tooo. I'd probably disregard. :shifty

hink4687
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
hmm...I've always used oils too in the wash. do you have a lower heat option you could use? I would just make sure too you never turn on your dryer and leave the house.

momof3muffins
10-05-2007, 06:33 AM
All dryers have that warning (any I've seen anyway). I put the oil in the fabric softener dispenser so it doesn't set in the clothes. I wouldn't put an item with an obvious oil stain in the dryer, but other than that I ignore it.

Splendeur Naturelle
10-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi,

I'm assuming that this is more for other oils like vegetable or mineral oil. I doubt that a few drops of EO is going to burst into flames.

Warmly,
Carol

kaismamma
10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I love the idea of putting EO on clothing before putting it in the dryer! Never heard of that before. It doesn't stain clothing like other oil?

Lady TS
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
IME, putting lavendar oil in the dryer didn't leave my clothes smelling any differently than not using it. I think the heat of the dryer dissipates the scent by the time the clothes are dry...

chelsea
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I love the idea of putting EO on clothing before putting it in the dryer! Never heard of that before. It doesn't stain clothing like other oil?

I have only used it on things that I don't mind stains on...like towels, etc. I have never noticed it staining...but I thought of that too and didn't want to risk it. :yes

IME, putting lavendar oil in the dryer didn't leave my clothes smelling any differently than not using it. I think the heat of the dryer dissipates the scent by the time the clothes are dry...

I usually just put a damp cloth with a few drops on it a few minutes before taking them out...that way the oil hasn't disappeared and your stuff smells pretty. But I'll admit, I'm a big chicken and now I'm paranoid that the oils will build up from all the uses...and I'll probably never use EO's in the washer/dryer again. :sigh

Marzipan
10-11-2007, 10:27 PM
If you just like lavender smell, you can get a little cloth drawstring bag and fill it with dried lavender flowers and throw it in-- or sew up a little sachet and throw it in the dryer with your wet clothes. Does pretty much the same thing. :)