PDA

View Full Version : My room smells like mold...

illinoismommy
10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
The room that 3 out of 4 members of the family sleep in smells like mold. Should I be real concerned about this or only mildly concerned? I think its drifting up from under the house. I don't really know what I can do about it. There are numerous holes down there and it even seems to be coming from the vent.

Soliloquy
10-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, I would have it checked out. Are you renting? Call the landlord ASAP. If s/he refuses to do anything, call the local housing authority and find out how you can force this to be checked out. It might be nothing, but chronic illness from breathing in mold spores can be serious.

If you own, look up "mold" in the yellow pages and have someone come and check out your house. They should test the air for mold spores. Once that is done, you can get estimates for mold abatement.

momofmany
10-03-2007, 02:30 PM
We had to move out of our last apartment in a hurry because we developed mold problems in the bathroom that were making me extremely ill. It seems to affect some people more than others (in my case neither dh or the kids had any symptoms). And even if you aren't having symptoms now you can experience health problems years later because of it. I would definitely have it checked out :yes2

Marzipan
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
:shifty What does mold smell like?

Soliloquy
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
go to the supermarket and pick up a plastic bag full of potatoes. Sniff. Most potatoes in plastic bags smell like mold. Or, go into a bathroom w/ a lot of mildew.

illinoismommy
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
We own. My husband thinks I am being silly. I will have him seal up the holes better and if it still smells then something needs to be done. Soon there will be another newborn in this room and I don't think mold is good for lungs.