PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so I'm weird...

Beauty4Ashes
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Dh and a group of his fellow residents and the attendings were playing soccer. There was even food afterwards. I found a group of parents to chat with, and in the group, mine were the oldest. Eventually the subject of how our dc sleep (collective our). A lot of people's babies were still waking up at night, most of them were 7-8 months old. Their parents are all professionals: one girl works in the city, another one I think is working for a law firm, one lady is in residency with dh, and one guy works from home as a computer tech. One lady said that she let her baby cio from the age of 4.5 months and then all the other people were saying, hmm, we'll try that one. Even one lady whose dd (7 months) sleeps with her was thinking that she would try that. I said, I don't know, mine didn't sleep through the night until 17 months and 23 months respectively. I cuddled them to sleep or nursed them to sleep and now it takes very little time to get them to bed. With ds1, I ask him if Curious George is tired and wants a blanket and milk. ds1 always says yes, and off to bed he goes. I love the feel of his thick hair on my cheek. I feel so bad for those babies.

WI Mama05
09-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I would feel badly for those little ones too :no2. I love co-sleeping as well, but have to admit that I have entertained the idea of CIO (howeve'vr briefly) in moments of sheer exhaustion and panic. I've never done it, but it always sounds so "easy". I have to remember the cost of it though :sick.

Beauty4Ashes
09-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Bear with me a little, I was thinking about something in the shower. I've found that cuddling my little ones down to sleep at night is a wonderful way of somehow restoring my relationship with them. Though I strive to be gbd with them, I fall short every day of that goal. I yell sometimes. I have ugly thoughts toward them sometimes. I'm not always patient. And though I do apologize, I still feel terribly for responding to them in a punitive way. But somehow every night, I have one last chance to make the memory of that day a pleasant one by cradling them in my arms, feeling their hair on my cheek, etc. Does it erase all my mistakes, no. But I hope anyway that it reminds them and me just how much I love them.

Marsha
09-29-2007, 05:36 AM
I absolutely agree with you on that last one! :heart

Serafine
09-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Bear with me a little, I was thinking about something in the shower. I've found that cuddling my little ones down to sleep at night is a wonderful way of somehow restoring my relationship with them. Though I strive to be gbd with them, I fall short every day of that goal. I yell sometimes. I have ugly thoughts toward them sometimes. I'm not always patient. And though I do apologize, I still feel terribly for responding to them in a punitive way. But somehow every night, I have one last chance to make the memory of that day a pleasant one by cradling them in my arms, feeling their hair on my cheek, etc. Does it erase all my mistakes, no. But I hope anyway that it reminds them and me just how much I love them.

:yes :yes :yes

Beauty4Ashes
09-29-2007, 06:31 AM
I did want to add that yes, there have been moments when cio did look appealing when say a child was marathon nursing or wouldn't keep their hands off me or woke up at 2 am to play...I think we tried 1-2x with Bashar when he was 7 months old, but we just didn't have the heart to do it. He was in his crib, the crib was in our bedroom, we put him there because he wanted to chatter and play at 2 am until 4 am, nursing him to sleep didn't work, he was fully awake. He cried I think 10 minutes because he didn't get why he wasn't allowed to play in our bed. Never again...

jenn3514
09-29-2007, 06:52 AM
I agree with it restoring our relationship. I am far from the gentle mom I wish to be, but when my two middle ones are asked what they are thankful for, they always say 'someone to tuck them in at night' :heart

Countrymama
09-29-2007, 07:44 AM
:heart I don't think you are weird at all! I feel the same way about restoring the relationship and the fact that it actually takes less time to calm my two co sleepers down than my ds (who we didn't co sleep with). I am always calm when I am nursing dd to sleep or back to sleep so I know that she isn't having to deal with any of my mama stress from the day.