PDA

View Full Version : Plastic in the dishwasher

doubleblessings
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this....feel free to move

I have read (here I think) that you shouldn't put plastic in the dishwasher (or not use it at all, but I am not there yet :)). Does someone know why? I never use the heat cycle on our dishwasher and I don't use the button that makes the water hotter. So why would this be different than washing by hand. I guess, I don't usually use the hot water all the way hot and it isn't in the water as long, but would that make much difference?

mommylove
09-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Bumping 'ya up.

I've always assumed that the water tended to be too hot for plastic. :shrug I also wonder if that's outdated advice. Seems like the "quality" of plastics has probably improved. :think

Then again, I'm the weirdo who only puts ceramic cups/mugs & silverware in the dishwasher. I hand wash everything else.

amanda1
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
:popcorn
I put plastics in the dw, but only on the top shelf.

tempus vernum
10-10-2007, 05:03 AM
This is said with the disclaimer that we don't really use plastic - we have eliminated almost all of it. AND this is just my opinion and not based on fact.

I remember reading that to remove many of the toxins from plastic waterbottles to fill it with cold water and put it in the sun for 2 days. The heat would release much of the toxins into the water. SO, I thought the more you wash things in the dishwasher the safer they'd be.

:shrug Again, just my possibly skewed logic :shifty

MarynMunchkins
10-10-2007, 05:05 AM
I always wash my plastic in the dishwasher and I've never had a problem. Rubbermaid and Tupperware are both fine in there - I checked with them both. ;)