PDA

View Full Version : 3yo using bad words.

eejei
09-28-2007, 03:33 AM
My 3yo was yelling out in the supermarket car park "Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!" At first I thought he was saying 'Sheep, sheep, sheep' but when I asked him he said very quietly and clearly 'Sh*t". I asked calmly where he heard that, trying not to make a big deal of it. I don't have the most pure mouth so it's possible he may have heard it from me. :shifty He told me he didn't know, and for me to tell him where he heard it from. He often says that when he doesn't want to answer. So I said to have a think and try and remember and when i asked him a little while later he said he heard it from 'the boys'. There were some bigger boys at the park that morning that maybe he heard it from. So I told him that it's not a nice word and not to use it. And that was the end of it. Should I have done something more, something less? It doesn't bother me that he repeats what he hears but it might bother say, my mum or others listening in the car park, what do you think?

Mother Duck
09-28-2007, 04:31 AM
When mine use a bad word, I usually tell them "We don't use those words in our home" - no big deal, just giving them the information they need. So far it has worked.

MarynMunchkins
09-28-2007, 05:40 AM
"That word isn't appropriate for you. You can say "___" if you're upset instead."

Assuming, of course, that he's using when he's upset and not just because. ;)

J3K
09-28-2007, 05:45 AM
I think you handled it fine. To make a bigger deal out of it would put more weight on the word(s) you don't want him using.