PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about coconut oil

Pages : [1] 2

musicmama
09-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm tryingt o get it through my thick head that I SHOULD add this to my smoothies.

All my years of low-fat dieting are screaming "NONONONO!"

Does ti really make a difference? I remember trying ita few years ago and my eggs tasted like coconut :/ And I love coconut! But not in eggs.

I don't remember WHY I tried it and now my sister's telling me how great she feels and such.

Thoughts?

hink4687
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I've started using it any time I would use olive oil. Like when I cook chicken breast for meals. I'm not totally convinced either but I've slowly started adding it to our diets.

mommylove
10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't use it, but I'm increasingly curious about it thanks to Dr. Mercola's rave reviews. http://www.mercola.com/forms/coconut_oil.htm

tempus vernum
10-11-2007, 06:32 AM
I use it in all my baking instead of butter (dairy free here too).

I use it many times I would use olive oil.

BUt for oiling pans and other things I'd use shortening for I used organic pressed palm oil :)

There is so much good about coconut oil but I don't have time. gotta get offline :O Hopefully LIsaM will post she is very informative about coconut oil :)

Katydid
10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
I just started using it. :) I read over on MDC about folks just eating a bit right off the spoon and I tried it and it was like a jolt of caffeine for me! But better! ;) I felt really energized and I find that it really helps me feel fuller so I don't end up eating as much. Good stuff! :tu

I have the Nutiva brand, btw. It is very "coconutty" and it is not hard to eat off the spoon at all. :no (the texture is a bit strange, though)

Soliloquy
10-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Oh my goodness, get some coconut oil. :yes

Simon just woke up, so I only have a minute. I probably won't get to it until next week because we'll be gone this weekend and tonight I have to pack, but in my book The Healing Power of Food there are PAGES of benefits to CO. It is even being investigated for an anti-HIV medication because it's antiviral properties are so good.

I had a cold sore starting and I put some CO on and it was gone in two days. :yes

It really helps w/ weight loss. :yes

ALL the studes that were done decades ago that showed heart disease from coconut oil were done using 100% hydrogentated coconut oil, which is chemcally altered coconut oil, not natural coconut oil. :rolleyes

Natural, God-made saturated fat is not bad for you but is very, very necessary for your health. Anti-cancer, anti-depression, on and on.

You want virgin coconut oil, preferably organic. It is cheaper online than in the stores, but stores often have good sales. I don't buy refined coconut oil. I haven't done enough reading on it.

We do use it for our eggs. I had to get used to it, yes. Some brands have more coconut flavor than others. I know really like my eggs cooked in CO. Whenever I saute anything, I put a little CO and a little butter or olive oil in the pan.

There are books on coconut cookery that document the research on this. I used to be a low-fat fanatic, too. Looking back, I was in rotten health (not acute infections or anything, just not eating the way God created food and having all kinds of cravings) One of the mainy reasons I know that this is how God wants me to eat is that I am eating whole, natural foods, closer to the way people at hundreds and thousands of years ago, I'm eating as much as I want and not feeling deprived, and I've lost over 20 pounds doing it.

more later when I have time.

Soliloquy
10-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Okay, I'm paraphrasing from The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods by Michael Murray, ND as fast as I can. May have to stop at any moment, but I'll pick it up again next week.

1. Approx. 50% of the fatty acides in coconut is in the form of lauric acid, a health-promoting fat whols only other abundant source in nature is human milk. :tu In the body, lauric acid is changed into monolaurin--an antiviral, antibacterial, andn antiprotozoal fat that destroys a wide variety of harmful organisism. Studies have demonstrated that monolaurin destroys fat-coated viruses including cytomegalovirus (CMV), herpes simples 1, HIV, influenzae, measles, and others (that I don't recognize :blush). Pathogenic bacteria killed by it include Listeria, staph, several strains of strep, and Heliocobacter pylori. It also kills or inactivates a number of fungi, yeast, and protozoa, including several types of ringworm, Candida albicans, and Giardia lamblia (which is a parasite easily caught in European tap water). Lauric acid has also been shown to interfere with virus assembly and maturation (meaning they can't muliply in your body) I'm too rushed to go back and italicize all the Latin. Sorry.

2. 6-7& of the fat in coconut is capric acid. The body converts this to monocaprin, which has antiviral efffects against STDS inclduing chlamydia, herpes simples 1 and 2, Neisseria gonorhoeae, and HIV.

3.Coconut oil protects against heart disease and promotes healthy weight. A study which used coconut oil as part of a high-fat diet demonstrated that CO did not increase body fat but actually decreased the white-fat stores.

There's more, believe it or not, but my DH has to get on the computer. In this whole book, coconut oil has the MOST amazing benefits, more than any other food.

bbl

Can'tTurnLeft
10-11-2007, 07:18 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut oil, and I do like my eggs cooked in very coconutty coconut oil :)

I add it to smoothies, hot coco, use it as the cooking medium in about half my cooking, the other half I use EVOO. I DO feel better since I started using it, and my skin is much less dry.

Go for it! Saturated fat is GOOD for you, hydrogonated fats are bad :)

CakeLady
10-11-2007, 07:39 AM
I bought some recently, but I haven't used it yet. :popcorn

crunchymum
10-11-2007, 08:21 AM
oh sara, you MUST get you some raw virgin coconut oil!!!! :yes i read SO MUCH on it when i started having yeast issues, lisa's posts are excellent. i can't wait to be using it PP, because i really believe it will help with weightloss - 1st, because the good fat helps keep you satisfied so you are less likely to reach for refined carbs etc, and 2nd, because it can really affect your mood and energy (which of course is a huge componant of weight loss/healthy eating).

i personally don't care for it in smoothies - IMO it makes them chunky. :shifty i honestly don't mind it right off the spoon, i take it the same way i take my CLO. :) i have yet to use in in baking (because i haven't benn doing any baking, lol) but i'm sure it would be good. the info i read said you can eat up to 3 T. of the stuff per day, but be sure to increase gradually.

another good way to eat it is the "candy" i posted on crystals thread. :yum

because of this yeast issue i have, i've been having to cut out refined sugars and refined carbs - and i've been eating TONS of good fats - coconut oil, CLO, salmon, butter, full fat yogurt, etc - and my weight has actually been holding steady, even as my baby grows bigger. i'm convinced that it's because of the good fats/eliminating junk. i am taking in more calories but i think the "bad fat" on my body is starting to go away. and oh! the way it makes your skin feel!!!! :heart

try it again for awhile. :yes

tempus vernum
10-11-2007, 08:44 AM
We buy our unrefined, extra virgin, organic coconut oil from UNFI but I just discovered you can get 7# for $24.50 from Country Life Natural Foods. www.clnf.org :tu FOr reference 8# is a gallon :)

I am in a buying club so I don't know how it would be to just orde this - I don't pay shipping.

IslandMama
10-11-2007, 08:55 AM
My mom swears by it! She takes a tablespoon a day (right off the spoon) and feels so much better... She has lost weight too, and says it has helped with her diabetes and blood pressure... I admit, I'm skeptical too, but seriously thinking of trying it. :shrug

geegee
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Another really good place to buy it is trpical traditions.com.They also have a buying club and they have many other coconut products.I love their oil and coconut cream :heart

crunchymum
10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
here's some links i dug up:
http://www.regaininghealthnaturally.com/Coconut_Information/Health_Benefits_of_Coconut_Oil.shtml

http://www.transformyourhealth.com/gardenoflife/coconutoilnb.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWk1vWJjJM

:)

i bought the tropical traditions oil, and i have to say, i wasn't too impressed... :shifty it was a good price, but not smooth like the nutiva.

CakeLady
10-11-2007, 09:30 AM
i bought the tropical traditions oil, and i have to say, i wasn't too impressed... :shifty it was a good price, but not smooth like the nutiva.

good to know. i also bought the tropical traditions...once it's gone, i will try the nutiva...

crunchymum
10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
so is yours sort of chunky, too? i thought maybe i got a not so good batch... :scratch i don't like the taste as well, either....

CakeLady
10-11-2007, 10:26 AM
don't know...i have been a bit afraid to try it. I haven't had it very long...

crunchymum
10-11-2007, 10:28 AM
oh! you haven't tried it yet... why afraid?

CakeLady
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I just wasn't 100% sure what to do with it. I kept meaning to post about it and look up some ideas...I just never got around to doing it. :O

Soliloquy
10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
To get started, a good way is cook eggs in 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter on lowish heat. You don't ever want to use high or med high--it destroys more nutrients and the fats can lose some of their wonderful qualities.

If you ever have dry skin, a tiny bit of CO will melt right into your skin--prevent infection, stop itching, relieves pain of eczema, etc. etc. etc.

Also, it helps cure cold sores. Just a tiny bit once a day.

geegee
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Could I have a link to the nativa{Thats the better right?}please :heart I havent tried any but the tropical traditions but I would like a better consystancyits not chunky tho.

crunchymum
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-Oil-54-Ounce/dp/B000GAT6NG

you can maybe get it for sheaper elsewhere... :think

geegee
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
:ty :rose

tempus vernum
10-11-2007, 03:55 PM
To get started, a good way is cook eggs in 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter on lowish heat. You don't ever want to use high or med high--it destroys more nutrients and the fats can lose some of their wonderful qualities.

If you ever have dry skin, a tiny bit of CO will melt right into your skin--prevent infection, stop itching, relieves pain of eczema, etc. etc. etc.

Also, it helps cure cold sores. Just a tiny bit once a day.

A couple of "confessions"

I have tried a bunch of times on cold sores, it does NOTHING for mine -- I gave up after day 4 or 5 and used my homeopathic remedy which cleared it right up.

For me, coconut oil was totally a "acquired taste". I can't eat it plain, can't eat it with eggs and can't tolerate it on toast (instead of butter - we are dairy free). It took a long time for me to manage to eat it when it wasn't cooked :O Now I can tolerate it in dehydrated cookies and in almost all of our baked goods as well as over popcorn :) I can also enjoy it in lukewarm tea (like lisa said don't want to destroy all its properties ;) I want to try it plain but am afraid cuz the smell makes my stomach turn :sick I was thinking of trying it in smoothies but think it would be chunky :shrug

I do LOVE it on my skin but it didn't help with dh's fungal rashes or with savana's skin rashes. For savana only plain aloe helped. I don't know why it was like this for us. Maybe my oil was too old by the time I tried it on these things. Now that I go through a gallon every 3rd month or so, it would be stronger.

I also use Nutiva. I was actually going to email CLNF to find out their brand good to know about the tropical traditions - I am so picky about this coconut oil thing that I probably shouldn't change brands EVER :hiding .

Only posting this to be honest and maybe figure out what I am doing wrong that it's not working on cold sores, fungal infections, etc. :scratch

righteous mama
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm using NOW Virgin Coconut Oil. I want to use it in baking. Do you just replace the butter with the same measurement?

Also, does anyone take it in capsules? I gag when I take it and it makes me feel icky for about 1/2 hour after. I think it's the feel of it. For some reason I can do olive oil, but not co.

tempus vernum
10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm using NOW Virgin Coconut Oil. I want to use it in baking. Do you just replace the butter with the same measurement?
Yes, I use it exact amounts. :yes

Soliloquy
10-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Do you use it in only your dehydrated recipes? Or do you use in regular oven baking, too? I tried replacing butter w/ CO in our pizza crust and in a cake recipe and it was AWFUL. (we bake them in the oven--no dehydrator :violin) We threw both out, they were so bad (me throwing out chocolate--it's gotta be bad). :yes2

tempus vernum
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Do you use it in only your dehydrated recipes? Or do you use in regular oven baking, too? I tried replacing butter w/ CO in our pizza crust and in a cake recipe and it was AWFUL. (we bake them in the oven--no dehydrator :violin) We threw both out, they were so bad (me throwing out chocolate--it's gotta be bad). :yes2

Yep, oven baking (cake, brownie, sweet breads), pancakes, waffles, dehydrator recipes, bread, rolls, etc. IN fact, my chocolate brownie recipe with Coconut Oil and sweetened with cane juice is . . . well. .fantastic :O -- not to brag but everyone is always asking for the recipe which I laugh and tell them better homes and gardens with a few changes ;).

I do not make pizza crusts anymore though - we buy sourdough pizza crusts cuz Luke doesn't like my pizza crusts :rolleyes

We coconut oil for everything except frying eggs :haha and greasing stuff (like greasing the pan before baking the brownies) and buttering bread. Sometimes I even use it in tomato sauces instead of olive oil :shrug I will say that I am moving towards palm oil for my bread cuz the bread is softer than when made with coconut oil -- found that out when I ran out of coconut oil. It's our "staple" oil. :) THat's why we go through a gallon every 3 months or so - I have gone through a gallon in two months before if I was on a "baking spree" :O

Blestw/manyLuvs
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I love CO!!! I've known about it for quite a while but after my 3rd and 4th babies I forgot all the good fat info I had learned though WAPF, NT, and Dr Mercola, and I went low fat hoping to loose weight. Well, I gained!! I recently went over some of my dietary info and :scratch I realized I needed to add CO into my diet. I immediately lost 5lbs w/o trying. This after being unable to loose no matter what I did and being bigger than ever.
I us it ase a moisturizer also and it works great. :yes
You all have reminded me that I should use it for some scalp issues I'm dealing with.
I recently bought a gallon from mountain rose herbs for a very good price and it tastes great (I don't generally have a problem with Coconutty flavor anyway)! :heart
For more detailed info you can check out Dr mercola and weston a price foundation web sites. :smile

BHope
10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Anybody have a storage suggestion? I have the nutiva brand and am constantly making a mess with it! Our home is warm enough (right now) that it stays in liquid form. Maybe I should store it in the fridge? Or put it in a squirt bottle? I'm so over all the oil messes that need cleaning!

allisonintx
10-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Ok, I went and bought the oil a couple of days ago. I love the texture of the oil and can hardly wait to try it in lieu of butter in my next banana bread. I realized that or cooking, it needs a little salt to counter the sweetness of the oil for the way that I cook.

I used it when making Annie's noodles, because the sauce always seems so thin with just the milk. It made it really really creamy with only a teaspoon of oil in addition to the normal milk. The difference was amazing.

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
yummy...I love it in buttermilk biscuits....makes them so flakey.
we use it for eggs, frying foods, eye make-up remover, personal lube, eczema.....
I buy the Nutiva brand also. It is my favorite. I get it at www.vitacost.com
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/ this is also a good place to get it I think cost wise..not sure on the brand though...there site is very informative.

LisaM do post about losing weight on it? I haven't experienced that yet...must be doing something wrong..and all my books are in storage still....

allisonintx
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
wow, that's a LOT cheaper than buying it at the HFS!

Ok, I bought two different things of the oil. One is Nature's Way and it was in the supplement section and the other was Spectrum "Refined" in the cooking section. The Spectrum is less coconutty smelling, and is what I've been using in my cooking regular savory cooking.

Have any of you used these brands *and* the Nutiva? If so, how do they compare?

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I have used the spectrum but prefer the coconuty flavor of the nutiva. I have used the spectrum topically....right now we have the jarrow coconut oil for topical use.

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
isn't the refined stuff not so good for you? :scratch

allisonintx
10-12-2007, 02:45 PM
see, I couldn't remember, and that's why I bought one of each.

I used the oil as a moisturizer after my bath today, including on my face, and I'm amazed at how well it was absorbed.

tempus vernum
10-12-2007, 02:46 PM
:jawdrop Holy schmoly you guys need to be in a co-op :yes $54 for a gallon is good :hunh I am so shocked. I pay way less than that.

Allison, I have used spectrum and nutiva (started with spectrum till I realized I needed unrefined). Nutiva is definitely way better but spectrum works fine :) .

I have heard that you should have ex virgin, unrefined, raw but I don't know that refined is "bad" just not as good I think :think

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I got a bottle of Jarrow coconut oil just for lube and moisturizer. I was afraid to cook with it.

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 03:02 PM
afraid because of the taste?

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 03:04 PM
afraid because of the taste?

Because I don't know how it will cook. So I have no idea which recipes it will go best in. All fats impact recipes differently. And I can't stand to waste food on experiments.

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... :doh i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.

Nightingale
10-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I haven't used it in much as far as baking, but it helps make wonderful biscuits and cookies. :yum

righteous mama
10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
NOW was in the supplement section. It is expellor something er other. I can't remember, but it takes most of the coconutty taste out. I can't stand coconut, so it works for me.

I bought it because a little old Asian lady started a coversation with me at Whole Foods and she told me it was best. She told me it was good for weight loss and skin. I bought it on the spot. :lol

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 03:19 PM
oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... :doh i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.

:giggle I have no clue. I know that some fats make a recipe dry and crumbly, like shortening. Some fats make a recipe creamy and rich, like butter. Some make the same recipe thin and crispy, usually the runnier fats like oils. I know that Smart Balance is a thinner, runnier fat than Earth's Best, though they're both butter substitutes.

What is coconut oil going to do? It's not an oil exactly, nor is it a spread.

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 03:26 PM
it behaves just like other oil..other than it gets solid at room temp....You can melt it first to be liquidy in recipes that call for oil....it is a total replacement..

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Doesn't it change the texture in foods that are served at room temp?

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
hmm...give me an example?

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 03:36 PM
hmm...give me an example?

I'm addicted to quick breads right now, so I'm thinking breads and muffins. And cookies. And even yeast breads. And cake. And wow I'm hungry.

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
It is absolutely wonderful in biscuits. It should be great in all those things...

allisonintx
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
It acts more like butter than oil. It just has a lower melting point than butter. It should cook like butter as well.

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll try it tonight in lemon bread.

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
ooooh....I want some!

Katydid
10-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Umm, wait a minute... you can use it as personal lubricant? :shifty

Rabbit
10-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Oh yeah. A thousand times, yeah. Though, it does weird my husband out the way it goes on, because it starts out lumpy (he called it gritty) then turns magically to slick oil.

cobluegirl
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
yes :blush :blush :rockon hehe...

Can'tTurnLeft
10-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Umm, wait a minute... you can use it as personal lubricant?

really good if you are TTC. All other lubricants are bad.

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 05:31 PM

oh my goodness, if you haven't tried it... you must! it rocks!!! i realized most lubes have glycerine in them, not good when trying to combat yeast.... :no2 anyway, it's wonderful. ;)

geegee
10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Thats good to know. :)

allisonintx
10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
OT:

I used the oil as a moisturizer over my whole body after my bath today, including on my face. WOW. It was not greasy, it soaked in beautifully and it made all my skin so soft. Normally I can't use a moisturizer on my legs after I shave because it will get in the follicle and cause pain at every little point and I'll have what looks like a massive heat rash everywhere i put the moisturizer, no matter how "all natural" it is, but the oil didn't do that.

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
:yes i've been using it as body lotion, too... that combined with the body brushing = baby soft skin... :tu

AdrienneQW
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Hmmmm. The benefits sound great, but... coconut? Ewwwwwww. There is no taste in the world that makes me gag more than coconut... I'm half-retching at the mere thought. :sick2 Any way to get (at least some of) the benefits without any coconut taste at all? :think

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
i guess marcella says the NOW stuff doesn't taste so coconutty...

Rabbit
10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
The stuff I have has no coconut taste or smell.

IslandMama
10-13-2007, 09:26 AM

oh my goodness, if you haven't tried it... you must! it rocks!!! i realized most lubes have glycerine in them, not good when trying to combat yeast.... :no2 anyway, it's wonderful. ;)

Ok, now I really have to try it!!! I just got paid, so I've got to ask dh... Wow, from baking to a lubricant. This stuff sounds magic! :giggle

crunchymum
10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
:lol yeah, it's like breastmilk, the magic fluid... totally multi-purpose!!!! :giggle

geegee
10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Could anyone tell me if its a bad thing for the coconut oil to be formented?

simplegirl
10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
:popcorn

this thread is cracking me up. i've got to get some coconut oil.

righteous mama
10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm. The benefits sound great, but... coconut? Ewwwwwww. There is no taste in the world that makes me gag more than coconut... I'm half-retching at the mere thought. :sick2 Any way to get (at least some of) the benefits without any coconut taste at all? :think

I read on one site that they have it in pill form, too. It may not be the best, but it is better than none at all. :-)

asher
10-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Okay, I'm onboard! Next payday! :)

Rabbit
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Sometimes hating a food is a sign of a sensitivity to that food. If it bothers you that much, then it probably doesn't have any benefits for you. I feel the same way about fish, and it turns out that I am mildly allergic to it. So, no matter the benefits of eating fish or taking fish oil for other people, there are no benefits in it for me. Might be the same for you with coconut oil.

Soliloquy
10-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Could anyone tell me if its a bad thing for the coconut oil to be formented?

what do you mean? can you explain?

Mother of Sons
10-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I mixed it into tea (and cappuccino) last night instead of eating a spoonful. I could taste it in the tea but not the cappuccino and it made my lips soft and soothed my throat. didn't last long but for the time it was nice.

geegee
10-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Tropical triditions forment their coconut oil in processing.Some of the other brands say no formenting.So I figued formenting wasnt good.I dont exactly know what or how the formenting process goes but it doesnt look like a good thing.

Lady Grey
10-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Can somebody who has the BIG jar of Nutiva measure it for me? I'm trying to figure out if it will fit in my cabinets. (shelves are kind of short)

Thanks.....

cobluegirl
10-23-2007, 09:54 AM
54oz jar is 7 inches

Mother of Sons
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I need tips on getting it out of the jar. All I can get out is little shavings at a time. I can never just get a spoonful or anything. If I needed a large amount for it and not just a teaspoon to put in my drink it would take me all day.

allisonintx
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
weird, mine is pretty soft. It scoops out like Crisco.

cobluegirl
10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
hmm...mine isn't that hard either. It sits on top of the stove so is always kind of soft.... I always use a spoon.... where do you store yours?

BHope
10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Mine's continually in liquid form. I think we keep our home on the hotter side. lol.

Lady Grey
10-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Rachael! It will fit just fine.

Mother of Sons
10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I keep it in the cupboard next to the stove.

cobluegirl
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
what kind do you have? is your house cold?

Mother of Sons
10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
It's Nutiva. We don't have the heat on so it's fairly cold. It was like this in the summer too though. I've never had coconut oil that was the consistency of shortning.

cobluegirl
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
interesting.... my guess is just that it stays cool enough to stay firm.

Mother of Sons
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
It makes it almost unusable. Would it hurt anything to melt it all and pour it into a butter mold?

cobluegirl
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
I can't imagine that it would hurt it..Just set it on top of your stove while you are baking something...it will melt slowly.

made4more
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
now I really want some.. too bad they dont take food stamps. :blush dh doesn't like to buy food w/o food stamps that isn't a complete necessity.

Katydid
01-03-2008, 06:42 AM
now I really want some.. too bad they dont take food stamps. :blush dh doesn't like to buy food w/o food stamps that isn't a complete necessity.

:hug2 Now that I've started using it, I totally see it as a necessity. :yes Doesn't Whole Foods or someplace like that take food stamps? I've actually seen the Spectrum brand in the natural section of our regular grocery store. :yes Or are there actually restrictions on what you can buy with your food stamps? :think

made4more
01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
eh- the only restrictions are that you can't buy things that are premade. well something liek that. you can't get the chickens, etc from the deli, but you can buy a cake from the bakery. :scratch naw, I'm sure I could get some. but I read here that it's not up to par. :shifty

MarynMunchkins
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
I used this thread to scramble my eggs with CO, and I'm hooked. :yum Now I gotta find join a co-op to get more. ;)

Katydid
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I've not tried the Spectrum, but if that was all I could get, I think I would use it. :shrug

But you might check around, I found a small jar of Nutiva in our locally owned natural foods grocery store. :yes

Katydid
01-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I used this thread to scramble my eggs with CO, and I'm hooked. :yum Now I gotta find join a co-op to get more. ;)

You used this thread to scramble your eggs, did you? :P~

made4more
01-03-2008, 07:30 AM
i'll do that katie! :yes the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and have positive results that I can brag to hubby about right? :shrug :giggle

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
We like it on popcorn... yummy. Wholefoods should have more than one brand of EVCO. We have tried several different brands. We liked the Nutiva the best but have used others as well. The one brand I didn't like was the tropical traditions. It smelled smoked. I can't remember if it was extra virgin though.

morninglory
01-03-2008, 09:28 AM
ok, so i havent tried c.o. until now, i was told to take it for my thrush as it is a anti fungal.....but how should i take it, just pop back a few teaspoons a day, or should i rub it on my nipples, or what....? i have cooked with it, and i like it alot, but to actually help with thrush what should i do???? :think

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I have never used it for thrush but would do both. If you can take it spoon full at time and smear it all around maybe it will work internally as well as externally.

mommylove
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I need tips on getting it out of the jar. All I can get out is little shavings at a time. I can never just get a spoonful or anything. If I needed a large amount for it and not just a teaspoon to put in my drink it would take me all day.

I have Nutiva & mine stays hard, too. I can dig out hunks, but it's far from Crisco consistency. Mine lives in the cupboard above the stove.

tempus vernum
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM

I have Nutiva & mine stays hard, too. I can dig out hunks, but it's far from Crisco consistency. Mine lives in the cupboard above the stove.

bluewater, I am not sure where you live, but I know MOS lives inmy region and it's because of the weather. Coconut oil will be MUCH softer in the fall and spring and liquid in the summer. It's melt point is pretty low - can't remember what it is and I am NAK'ing but mine is liquid almost the entire summer :)

In the winter, I use a large spoon and scrape it out bit by bit. It's kind of a pain honestly. It is much harder to get out than our palm oil whichis what we use instead of shortening. But I notcied when you use it topically, it starts to melt in your hand because of your body heat and smooths onto skin SO SO easily. :tu

allisonintx
01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
melt point seems to be in the high 70's low 80's.

Even when it's hard the Nutiva still scoops out pretty easily.

Soliloquy
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I read it's melting point it 76F. It melts almost instantly in a warm pan or on your skin, though. Mine is liquid all summer.

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I have never used it for thrush but would do both. If you can take it spoon full at time and smear it all around maybe it will work internally as well as externally.

:yes

it's cold here, too, and my nutiva is still scoopable. i also have a container of it in our bathroom and use it after the bath - my skin has never felt so good in the winter as i does right now!

klpmommy
01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
ok, I am putting coconut oil on my next grocery list. I am convinced. :)

BHope
01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Do I need to go back and read through all of this to find information on Tropical Traditions? :paranoid There is a coop in the area that sells expeller pressed coconut oil. As a result, I was researching "expeller pressed" and ran across this link: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/epco.htm

The organic gallon of coconut oil is $45. The non-organic is $26.50. Considering I'm paying around 12 dollars for my small bottle of nutiva, it might be worth it to at least buy the one that is not certified organic. Or spring for the certified organic. But at any rate, I don't want to buy either if the conclusion was that Tropical Traditions is ucky.

Bleh.

Anyone know?

Do I really have to go read 6 pages all over again?

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 12:34 PM
i *personally* don't like tropical traditions. i think it's fermented (which maybe adds something to the health benefits? i'm not sure) but to me, it's gross. :shifty i got 2 jars and they were lumpy and just kind of ick tasting. i can take nutiva by the spoonful, but i can't with the TT or i feel ill.

i know people who swear by TT, though, so i guess you like it or you don't. i probably would get a smaller amount first to see if you like it. hth!

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I am not sure what your question is?? sorry..

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
This might be good. http://www.gonsi.com/products/product-detail.cfm/sku-835003002214/csrc-PPCADW-virgin_coconut_oil

You can buy their products at vitacost.com

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
i *personally* don't like tropical traditions. i think it's fermented (which maybe adds something to the health benefits? i'm not sure) but to me, it's gross. :shifty i got 2 jars and they were lumpy and just kind of ick tasting. i can take nutiva by the spoonful, but i can't with the TT or i feel ill.

i know people who swear by TT, though, so i guess you like it or you don't. i probably would get a smaller amount first to see if you like it. hth!
I didn't like it either.

BHope
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I am not sure what your question is?? sorry..
:giggle

Sorry, I have the music up loud so that the baby doesn't wake up from my typing. As a result, all the noise interferes with my thought process. :P~

My question really is two fold. Do you use TT and do you like it? And what is the difference between expeller-pressed coconut oil and virgin?

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
:lol

i just looked at the nutiva, and it says expeller pressed AND virgin... :shrug

BHope
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I've been reading the TT site and they have a lot of interesting things to say about what they consider to be the myth of cold-pressed coconut oil. (Nutiva advertises that it's "cold-pressed below 113 degrees.")

This par (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/enzymes_and_coconut_oil.htm)t jumped out at me:

Some are claiming that there are "raw" Virgin Coconut oils that never see heat at temperatures above a certain temperature (usually slightly over 100 degrees F.) and therefore contain beneficial enzymes. However, unless one is purchasing a coconut oil that has been transported from the tropics in refrigerated containers, and is delivered to you in refrigerated delivery trucks, this is just simply not possible.

and

Coconuts are native to the tropics, where temperatures are very hot. Any coconut oil distributed anywhere in North America has "seen heat." Shipping containers used to ship the coconut oil to the US by sea from the tropics reach temperatures of over 130 degrees. If you have a truck deliver coconut oil to your home in the summer time by any of the major carriers, temperatures inside that truck will reach up to 125 degrees. In the winter time coconut oil turns solid and MUST be heated in order to be repackaged into retail size containers from drums. Tropical Traditions uses large insulated containers that hold many drums and keep a steady temperature of between 90 to 100 degrees F. in the winter time to keep our stored oil liquid so it can be repackaged. It does take longer to liquefy 55 gallon drums this way (a few days) in the winter, but it more closely resembles ambiance air temperatures in the tropics. Many other repackagers use electric drum bands to melt the coconut oil more quickly, and temperatures inside the drum become much hotter, closer to boiling temperatures. So any coconut oil you buy will have "seen heat." But the good news is that coconuts are designed by our Maker to grow and thrive in hot climates, and the oil is not harmed in any way by these low-level heats.

The TT virgin (Green label) coconut oil is made by (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm):
First, coconut milk is expressed from the freshly harvested coconuts by using the pure water that is present inside the coconuts. The coconut milk is then allowed to sit for approximately half a day. During this time, the heavier water separates from the oil by sinking to the bottom, while the lighter coconut solids float to the top (curds). In between the coconut solids and the water is a crystal clear coconut oil that is completely unrefined. The oil is then slightly heated (less than boiling temperatures) for a short time (5 -15 minutes depending on air temperatures) to remove any remaining moisture, and then filtered. The result is a clear coconut oil that retains the distinct scent and taste of coconuts. This is a traditional method of coconut oil extraction that has been used in the Philippines for hundreds, if not thousands of years

But then, I was reading TT's information on their Gold Standard Virgin Coconut Oil and they do (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com//virgin_coconut_oil.htm) make a point of saying "The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled), and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids). "

And then for whatever it's worth, here is a link to the differences between the TT oils: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#What_are_the_differences_between_all_your_ coconut_oils

I'm still confused about the fact that the expeller pressed is considered "refined" but is still somehow superior to other coconut oils. Is it because it's not hydrogenated? Not from Copra?

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
interesting... :scratch

oh, i just thought of something - i think there's a difference between the black and green labels.... i have the black label. maybe the green label is different?

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know anything about Raw... but extra virgin can be expeller pressed and cold pressed.. both are good.

tempus vernum
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Interesting that you all are saying your nutiva scoops fine still :think - especially you Jen since you only live a few hours from me :think I use nutiva and it's not easy to scrape. Well, not as easy as my palm oil.

:idea maybe it's because we keep our house so cool (between 66 and 68) :doh

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 03:09 PM
hmm... we keep our house pretty cool, too... 68 during the day and 66 at night... lol, the same as you! :think :shrug i keep mine in a cupboard near the fridge, do you think that makes a difference? it doesn't seem like a warm cupboard. but maybe the heat from the fridge motor?

allisonintx
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
yea, that might be it. 68degrees will have me with chattering teeth.

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
:lol yeah, but you're a tx girl, allison... ;) :kiss

dh hates that i keep it so cool in here, but our gas bills are outrageous anyway. i feel like my mom, always saying stuff like "well, put on a sweater and some socks!" :giggle (our family seems to think we should be able to walk around in shorts and tank tops in the winter...)

purstrength
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I just bought some Spectrum at Wild Oats. It definitely has some coconut taste, but it seems okay. Now I just need to remember all the places I want to use it. :scratch

I also have sensitivities to coconut, but I'm hoping that coconut oil won't cause me any problems. :pray4

morninglory
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
i have pure planet xtra virgin, and it tastes soooooooo good, and is very smooth. it stays in a solid state, but scoops really easy......

tempus vernum
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
hmm... we keep our house pretty cool, too... 68 during the day and 66 at night... lol, the same as you! :think :shrug i keep mine in a cupboard near the fridge, do you think that makes a difference? it doesn't seem like a warm cupboard. but maybe the heat from the fridge motor?

66 to 68 is daytime. LOL it drops to about 55 at night I think. we have a timer thingy that lowers the temp at night - maybe that is it :shrug

Allison, 68 does have me shivering. I dress in layers. Born and raised in WI, I still freeze under 70 :shrug ANd yes, Jen, it's our gas bill that keeps it cool in here. BUT Alyssa always wants short sleeves and rarely wears socks. Yesterday she had on capris and it was 66 in here all day :hunh Luke's like me and gets cold easily.

But anyways, I digress . .. . .

Kat, I think Luke is allergic to coconut oil. :td I have our whole family off of it for a month (started this week when his rash flared up bad after getting coconut oil smeared on it) :sigh Then I'll add it back and see if that's the problem. Hope it works for you!! Is coconut in a lot of stuff? I have yet to read my labels.

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
my nutiva has been hard hard before... right now it stays above my stove and that light is always on..so it is softer...

purstrength
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
But anyways, I digress . .. . .

Kat, I think Luke is allergic to coconut oil. :td I have our whole family off of it for a month (started this week when his rash flared up bad after getting coconut oil smeared on it) :sigh Then I'll add it back and see if that's the problem. Hope it works for you!! Is coconut in a lot of stuff? I have yet to read my labels.

It doesn't seem to be in too many things, but I'm just sensitive, so I haven't worried if I ate a little, I just don't eat more than a couple bites of something. I don't seem to have the problems I used to, but I'm a little put off by the taste. :P~

Ima LeShalosh
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Do I need to go back and read through all of this to find information on Tropical Traditions? :paranoid There is a coop in the area that sells expeller pressed coconut oil. As a result, I was researching "expeller pressed" and ran across this link: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/epco.htm

The organic gallon of coconut oil is $45. The non-organic is $26.50. Considering I'm paying around 12 dollars for my small bottle of nutiva, it might be worth it to at least buy the one that is not certified organic. Or spring for the certified organic. But at any rate, I don't want to buy either if the conclusion was that Tropical Traditions is ucky.

Bleh.

Anyone know?

Do I really have to go read 6 pages all over again?

I agree with Jen...TT is GROSS :sick I just threw out two large jars before the baby was born...I could not get it down and did not like the way it baked up in dishes. I could never think of using it on toast or popcorn...bleh! I bought it to take it by the spoonful and I LOVE coconut so I was really disappointed that it had NO coconut taste at all.... so if you want it just for cooking or if you don't want any coconut flavor...then TT might be a good option.

I have been going without for a few months trying to decide which brand to get...I just ordered the Nutiva from VitaCost...it's on sale WAY cheap :tu Thanks Rachael for posting the link :rockon

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
$20.19 is there normal price for the 54oz. Which one did you buy? I can get it at my health food store for $24 or so..which is about the same as vitacost with the shipping unless I am ordering more stuff. (I forgot to get it on my order last week grr)

Ima LeShalosh
01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I got the 29oz for 10.91 :) Our local HFS is 19.51 for that little of a jar :jawdrop

cobluegirl
01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
eek

Ima LeShalosh
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah :yes I have nooooo idea why I never thought to go buy it online :rolleyes2 It's just one of those thing you don't think about having shipped to you I guess :shrug

I can't wait for it to get here...based on all I ready from you ladies I am hoping it will taste as good as I was *expecting* the TT CO to taste! I absolutely love coconut...I would have to say it is one of my most favorite smells and tastes :yes My hubby despises it...I wonder if he has an allergy to it :think

made4more
01-03-2008, 09:48 PM
i love coconut too! :yes this might be a not so guilty pleasure. In more ways than 1 iykwim. :giggle

Ima LeShalosh
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
:lol I called DH at work and told him that I bought more CO...he made a gagging noise..then I told him it was a great natural lubricant....his response "did you overnight express it" :roll

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
:laughtears yeah, i think dh has association issues when i pull out my kitchen jar to take a spoonful, poor guy... :giggle

Katydid
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
:laughtears yeah, i think dh has association issues when i pull out my kitchen jar to take a spoonful, poor guy... :giggle

Oh my goodness, mine does too! :haha It's gooood stuff! :rockon

Ima LeShalosh
01-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Oh my goodness, mine does too! :haha It's gooood stuff! :rockon

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/laugh3.gif I am so visual and am picturing DH having to run outta the room when I pull it out when company comes for dinner

crunchymum
01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
:spit :roll

krysmh
01-04-2008, 12:04 AM
:giggle

I've heard it can be used for lube, but I'm a chicken. Is it really truly safe?

I bake and cook with EVCO a lot, but have never just whipped out a spoon and gone to town. I want to eat it more so I can get some more good fats in me (trying to gain weight... hoping it won't have the opposite effect, but it's extra calories, so it shouldn't... I hope...) I've read about people having digestive distress from eating it that way or in smoothies. I have a sensitive stomach. Anyone have issues like this? I'd probably blend it into a homemade "ensure" type drink with rice milk, protein powder, maybe some cocoa powder or fruit, etc.

Do you think that would be a good idea?

Quiteria
01-04-2008, 05:51 AM
OT:

I used the oil as a moisturizer over my whole body after my bath today, including on my face. WOW. It was not greasy, it soaked in beautifully and it made all my skin so soft. Normally I can't use a moisturizer on my legs after I shave because it will get in the follicle and cause pain at every little point and I'll have what looks like a massive heat rash everywhere i put the moisturizer, no matter how "all natural" it is, but the oil didn't do that.

Good to know! That is the #1 reason I have hairy legs.

Katydid
01-04-2008, 05:56 AM
I've heard it can be used for lube, but I'm a chicken. Is it really truly safe?

[quote=krysmh ]

I figure, if it's safe enough to eat, it's safe enough to put into any part of your body. :shifty I feel much safer using it than some petroleum-based product. :shrug

krysmh
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah that makes sense. :doh

I guess I worry about it potentially leading to yeast or other infections, but if it's anti-fungal or whatever, maybe that's a silly thing to worry about. :scratch

Really, I'm just a paranoid person. Don't mind me. :lol

crunchymum
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah that makes sense. :doh

I guess I worry about it potentially leading to yeast or other infections, but if it's anti-fungal or whatever, maybe that's a silly thing to worry about. :scratch

Really, I'm just a paranoid person. Don't mind me. :lol

actually, the reason i started taking coconut oil was because of the yeast issues i'm having. :yes i use it 'down there' after i get out of the tub, even.

cobluegirl
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
me too.. love it.

Here is a funny...we were at a "store" looking at lubes and dh mentioned that we used coconut oil and the clerk about died. she really thought it was going to clog me up.. :giggle :giggle like the $20 6oz container they were selling was really going to be better for me...they apparently tell sales people that it is bad for people so they push their product.

krysmh
01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
She said it would clog you up?

:lol :lol :lol

Certain family members have always told me we should try butter. But I just couldn't. I mean, it's like, milk. From a cow. It just doesn't belong there. :giggle

allisonintx
01-04-2008, 04:08 PM
lol, yea, cow udder, not so sexy.

Coconut has always been exotic and sexy though.

krysmh
01-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok, ok, you've all convinced me.

Don't expect a report on how it goes though. :giggle

poleidopy
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
OK, I've been wanting to start using it, but I eat raw - so...what do I add it to? I seriously don't do any cooking. :think ANd I have two jars - one is spectrum and one is...Jarrow (http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/ev-coconutoil.html) Are either of those OK? How do I know what's good & what's not? (whichever one is better will stay in the kitchen, I'll take the other one upstairs for bathroom/bedroom use. :wink

Do you think it would help w/DS's eczema?

Also, does it go bad?W e've had it for quite some time since I haven't known how to use it. And i hate chuncky smoothies. But I like pina colada smoothies, ould it be coconutty enugh to ue for that?

*gasp* just read the label...
125 calries per serving
125 calories from fat
*trying to breathe...* whew, this is going to take some getting used to. Imean, I know some fat is good but...wow, that's a little much.

Rabbit
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
yea, that might be it. 68degrees will have me with chattering teeth.

When I get that cold, starting with the thermostat dipping below 70, my hands, feet, nipples and oddly, my knees ache. And I get really really cranky. I can't warm back up, either. Sometimes that can trigger a whale of a migraine. The only cure is full body lobster bath immersion, and my husband's hands on my shoulders and neck.

We had to stop using coconut oil for lube. :( I'd be swollen and raw in the morning. I suspect an allergy, as eating coconut used to be an asthma trigger for me. I never have more than a mild allergy reaction to foods, but the list of foods I react poorly to is getting depressingly long.

cobluegirl
01-04-2008, 10:57 PM
First it is good fat. (look up eat fat lose fat)

second...yes it will help with eczema... a lot.

third it doesn't go bad (unlike olive oil)

fourth Jarrow and Spectrum are both good brands..just not my favorite.. taste a little on a spoon to see which you like the flavor of better. which ever one you like keep in the kitchen...LOL

as for incorporating it... you can melt it and dip veggies in it..or eating it by the spoon full..
I have had some success melting it than adding it to shakes..
do you eat popcorn? (guess that is kind of cooked huh? ) It is great on popcorn.

krysmh
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
I seem to remember seeing a recipe on here recently that was raw and had coconut oil and cocoa powder (??) and maybe something else, made into some kind of raw candy like thing. It sounded good and I meant to write it down, but forgot.

Ring a bell, anyone?

purstrength
01-05-2008, 12:38 AM
We had to stop using coconut oil for lube. :( I'd be swollen and raw in the morning. I suspect an allergy, as eating coconut used to be an asthma trigger for me. I never have more than a mild allergy reaction to foods, but the list of foods I react poorly to is getting depressingly long.

I'm glad you said that...I want to watch out for that, although I :pray4 that I'll be okay. I've used just a *tiny* bit in cooking so far, put some in my hair earlier, and have used it on a fever blister. I'll report back. ;)

Blue Aurora
01-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, I bought some today and used it and butter to saute some fish. I could smell coconut when I opened the jar but we didn't taste any. The only brand available was spectrum.

crunchymum
01-05-2008, 02:01 AM
I seem to remember seeing a recipe on here recently that was raw and had coconut oil and cocoa powder (??) and maybe something else, made into some kind of raw candy like thing. It sounded good and I meant to write it down, but forgot.

Ring a bell, anyone?

that would be me. :yum http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=132555.0

kawani, it's really so good for you. try not to look at the fat content... ;) in fact, i know people who take it *for* weight loss, and even though i'm preggy, i saw the hugest difference when i was consistent with both the anti-candida way of eating and the coconut oil... it's hard to explain. good fat like that, IME, makes me crave junkie stuff a LOT less. :yes

Ok, ok, you've all convinced me.

Don't expect a report on how it goes though. :giggle

oh, we expect a FULL report! ;) :P~

morninglory
01-05-2008, 10:24 AM
buttering you bread, making sweets, anit-fungal, softens your skin, good for sex......quite possibly the worlds perfect food...yes? :lol

poleidopy
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM
well, so far iv'e been too scared to taste it straight from the jar (though I LOVE coconut) but after showering, I put it on me & DS#1 (who has really bad eczema) OMGoodness hours later we are still all soft!!! His cheeks are actually soft and pink, not itchy, red and dry. After using it ONCE! Hello CO, Goodbye nasty pertroleum-based lotions! :rockon Now...I'm sure DH won't mind trying it... :whistle

Marielle
01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
kawani coconut oil has been the ONLY thing to work on my youngest's eczema (that and taking CLO).

But it wasn't until allison mentioned using it as her facial moisturizer that I decided to clather some on and it feels lovely. I have very oily acne prone skin but I'm tired of paying for pricey but chemical laden stuff. So several weeks ago I started washing my face with honey and now I'm putting coconut oil as a moisurizer.

Oh and I too tried scrambling some eggs in half butter half coconut oil and the taste was not tooo overpowering.

HomeWithMyBabies
01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
We've been using coconut oil for the past few weeks now and we're loving it. :rockon

schmamy
01-05-2008, 12:06 PM

simplegirl
01-07-2008, 06:56 AM
So I finally purchased some coconut oil yesterday....and now I need to read back throught the thread to see all the ways I can use it! :lol

poleidopy
01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh another thing I just realized when Iw as using it... usually when I put stuff on my face, I usually skip my lips and eyes. With the CO I can put it on both (eyelids I mean) and my lips are ALWAYS chapped and dry so the CO is awesome for them! :thumbsup

krysmh
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Ring a bell, anyone?

that would be me. :yum http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=132555.0

Ooh yay. Thanks! :)

made4more
01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
kawani coconut oil has been the ONLY thing to work on my youngest's eczema (that and taking CLO).

But it wasn't until allison mentioned using it as her facial moisturizer that I decided to clather some on and it feels lovely. I have very oily acne prone skin but I'm tired of paying for pricey but chemical laden stuff. So several weeks ago I started washing my face with honey and now I'm putting coconut oil as a moisurizer.

Oh and I too tried scrambling some eggs in half butter half coconut oil and the taste was not tooo overpowering.
ooh, oily acne prone skin- that's totally me. but I have dry skin on my nose- figure that out. :scratch :giggle I'm SOOOOO doing this!

allisonintx
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
my skin was 'combination' before coconut oil, and now its smooth and lovely all the way around.

klpmommy
01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I bought some coconut oil today. We'll see how it works out. :)

made4more
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
my skin was 'combination' before coconut oil, and now its smooth and lovely all the way around.
ty! I want some! I think I'm going to have to start selling some things to buy this stuff! I'm all excited to start eating healthy. is it funny? I'm so sick and tired being .. well sick and tired. I'm ready to take control :D

mwwr
01-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Ima LeShalosh
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
My Nutiva CO came today :rockon I opened the jar and got soooo excited at the incredible nutty aroma that drifted from the container. It was rock hard from its travels here in a cold UPS truck, so I scraped some out with a spoon to taste it...YUMMMMM! It was what I had hoped for with the TT CO! It was nutty tasting...and my DH even loved the taste.

By dinner time it was much softer and so I used it as butter on my sprouted grain bagle...OH WOW! TEN times better than butter! Then after dinner and bathing the kiddos, I slathered my little eczema infested booger boy down from head to toe...I can't wait to see how his skin feels in the morning! I could not believe how the oil soaked in right away and did not leave my hands feeling greasy nor heavy!!!! I LOVE the fact that I can slather him, not have it burn and have it so natural and yummy, that kissing him after he has been slathered is a sweeeeeet experience and tastes good :yes

Tomorrow I am altering my wipes solution and replacing the vegetable glycerin with CO instead :rockon My mom LOVES it already as well and has agreed to go in 1/2 with me and buy a gallon of it :yes

crunchymum
01-08-2008, 03:50 AM
:rockon

Katydid
01-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention... CO is ALL I use on my face. I wash my face with it per these instructions (except instead of her olive oil/castor oil/essential oil mixture, I just scoop out a bit of CO with my damp washcloth) from Sara at www.walkslowlylivewildly.com :

As for face washing routines…I use the oil method. I’m sure many of you have heard of it or use the same thing. Basically, you wash your face with oil…because oil dissolves oil. It’s the best face cleansing “system” I’ve ever used…and I’ve tried MANY. My skin is acne prone and oily and this really helps to keep blackheads under control. Here is how you do it:

* Combine 1 part extra virgin olive oil (organic is best because pesticides are concentrated in fats) to 1 part castor oil and add whatever essential oils you want. I like tea tree oil and lavender. Store it in an airtight glass container. If your skin is super oil, you may want to increase the amount of castor oil…to keep it lighter.
* Tie all your hair back and have a wash cloth handy. Pour a liberal amount of the oil mixture into your hand and then start massaging it onto your face. Think of it as a mini-facial. Massage the oil into your skin for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
* Wet the wash cloth with STEAMING hot water. Ring it out and lay it on your face. When it cools, do it again. And again. You’re steaming out the impurities. Just be sure to make the water as hot as you can stand. Sometimes I’ll just sit on the bathroom floor with the wash cloth on my face and enjoy my facial.
* Rinse the wash cloth out and use it to wipe the oil off of your face. Be sure to get all of it…especially on the jaw and hairline. This is the part that exfoliates…your skin will be silky smooth!
* Splash more hot water on your face and pat dry.
* Use extra moisturizer after your done if you want…you can just use a small drop of the oil and rub it in your hands and then on your face as well.

I was hesitant to use this at first because I thought it would make my face more oily, but it doesn’t at all. It’s wonderful and my skin is amazingly soft and glowing. It does take more time and energy, but it’s worth it.

and my complexion has never been so clear! :rockon

klpmommy
01-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I cooked my egg with it this morning & I can't taste it. :rockon I put the leftover from the spoon all over my hands.

crunchymum
01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I cooked my egg with it this morning & I can't taste it. :rockon I put the leftover from the spoon all over my hands.

:lol that just reminded me of the time my best friend was over and we were chatting in the kitchen... i had put some co into something and then put some on my hands and rubbed it in. she gave me this look like :hunh and said "did you just put FOOD on your SKIN????" :giggle

she uses RVCO now, too. :P~

Dove*
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Alright, you've all convinced me. I'm going to get some next paycheck, too. I know someone who doesn't use soap or shampoo or conditioner any more, but only uses coconut oil. I can see this on the skin, but on your hair? It seems like it would get oily. Anyone try it one your hair??

Mother of Sons
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Am I the only one that gets icky skin with coconut oil? It seems like it makes my skin drier somehow :scratch It feels really nice going on but as soon as it's all soaked in my skin feels like sandpaper.

tempus vernum
01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Mother of Sons, Luke's skin did that the first few times and then he got a rash :shrug now we have him off coconut entirely to see if he's allergic. :doh

Garland
01-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks All for sharing information about this. I hadn't looked into this before. I look forward to buying some cocunut oil at the healthfood store soon and trying it out!

klpmommy
01-09-2008, 06:42 AM
I realized this morning that what I bought is not Extra Virgin CO. It just says "organic" and "expeller pressed" and "refined for med high heat". So is it going to do any of the same wonderful things that EVCO does?

crunchymum
01-09-2008, 07:51 AM
:think i'm not sure. it sounds like it may be a good cooking oil, but maybe not for all the stuff we're talking about? :scratch

krysmh
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Mother of sons - I don't like the way it feels on my skin either. It doesn't feel moisturizing at all. Just sort of sits there all oily with my really dry skin underneath. :/

crunchymum
01-09-2008, 11:34 AM
are you applying it on damp skin? that can make a difference...

TuneMyHeart
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Do those of you who don't like CO on your skin have dry/sensitive skin? I do, and I felt like the CO just sat there on my skin. I wasn't crazy about it.

CO is the greatest ever for "the spin" though. :O :giggle

HomeWithMyBabies
01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I realized this morning that what I bought is not Extra Virgin CO. It just says "organic" and "expeller pressed" and "refined for med high heat". So is it going to do any of the same wonderful things that EVCO does?

Not sure what brand you have, but this might help explain why it could be described as refined. http://www.coconut-connections.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

Most commercial grade coconut oils are made from copra. Copra is basically the dried meat of the coconut. It can be made by smoke drying, sun drying, or kiln drying, or derivatives or a combination of these three. If standard copra is used as a starting material, the unrefined coconut oil extracted from copra is not suitable for consumption and must be purified - i.e. refined. This is because the way most copra is dried is very unsanitary. Most of the copra is dried under the sun in the open air, where it is exposed to insects and moulds. The standard end product made from copra is RBD coconut oil. RBD stands for refined, bleached, and deodorized. Both high heat and chemicals (e.g. solvent extractions) are used in this method.

RBD oil is also often hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated. Hydrogenated oils have been shown to increase serum cholesterol levels which contribute to heart disease.

It's my understanding that it's better if it's non bleached, non refined, non hexane, non deoderized. Expeller pressed does not necessarily mean cold pressed, which is what you want.

Marielle
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Alright, you've all convinced me. I'm going to get some next paycheck, too. I know someone who doesn't use soap or shampoo or conditioner any more, but only uses coconut oil. I can see this on the skin, but on your hair? It seems like it would get oily. Anyone try it one your hair??

Coconut oil is actually my deep treatment trick and I have really curly hair. I just slather it on (it looks stringy but not greasy) at night, put my hair up and then do my regular washing routine the next day. BTW, I'm no poo so for me washing means with a conditoner. I do the coconut oil deep treatment a couple of times a month when I remember.

Dove*
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll have to try it on my hair, too. I've got curly hair that tends to get dry, so maybe this will help.

Marielle
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
one thing to really emphasize like others have mentioned - definitely get the unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. It really makes a difference. A while back before I had kids I tried it on my hair and the refined stuff made it feel like straw.

Ima LeShalosh
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Do those of you who don't like CO on your skin have dry/sensitive skin? I do, and I felt like the CO just sat there on my skin. I wasn't crazy about it.

:yes I have horribly dry sensitive skin and the past two days I have used the CO on my hands, legs and face and I LOVE it. I use it right out of the shower while I am damp. If I put it on dry, it was not as effective...same for my son's eczema problem...his skin is 95x better than it was :rockon

krysmh
01-09-2008, 10:23 PM

"The spin"? Do I want to know?

Yeah, I have chronically dry skin. My hands routinely crack and bleed if I don't slather on a thick cream every night before I go to bed. Between dealing with metal dust and jeweler's chemicals and being a germaphobe, I wash them so many times a day. :O I finally got in the habit of using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion every night and my hands are softer than they've ever been. It's not an all natural product obviously, but at least my skin is finally healthy. :smile

tempus vernum
01-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Luke has terribly dry sensitive skin. :yes2 WHen he goes outside in the cold or wind, he comes in with blothces. His skin is very very dry. It feels like sandpaper when he wakes up in the a.m.s. WHat seems to be helping since we gave up the CO is avacado oil.We do it morning and night after he brushes his teeth. Sometimes if he's been outside a lot I do it at lunch too.

AFA the "wet it first" idea as we were doing that. He would wash his face and without drying, I would smear the coconut oil on. I still do the same with the avacado oil but I've only been using it a week. so far, so good. I haven't seen it this good in a while but we have also buckled down and been strict on dairy and now coconut. :shrug I honestly think that he could just be allergic to something we haven't discovered yet or dairy and it was coincidental that the coconut oil seemed to restulted in a breakout. Our NP agrees it lookslike an allergic reaction to something so we may not be the best example of CO not working on super dry sensitive skin.

klpmommy
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
nutiva is the good one, right?

cobluegirl
01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
yes my favorite

Quiteria
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I have chronically dry skin. My hands routinely crack and bleed if I don't slather on a thick cream every night before I go to bed. Between dealing with metal dust and jeweler's chemicals and being a germaphobe, I wash them so many times a day. :O I finally got in the habit of using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion every night and my hands are softer than they've ever been. It's not an all natural product obviously, but at least my skin is finally healthy. :smile

Sounds like me, though I'm not a jeweler. The CO isn't really solving the cracks...maybe helping a little, but not enough. Burt's Bees Hand Salve is helping. I'm more than likely allergic to the Gold Bond since it's conventional.

I have tried wetting my cracked hands with bmilk before co, and that is helping reduce the redness. Also tried CO with a drop of TTO. With MRSA in the news, having red cracks on my skin is a little scary!

Now, for the coconut, I read crunchymom's little dessert post (something like yum, yum, yum), and since I didn't have the right ingredients, I tried making tiny oatmeal no-bake cookies in the freezer...now those were good! So was a bowl of oatmeal with CO and ginger and a little brown sugar....would like to have used blackstrap molasses, but was out.

poleidopy
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
since I've been using the CO my skin has broken out really bad. I have bad acne to begin with but now it's horrible. I think I may need to stop. And I was really liking how it made my skin not so dry! :(

made4more
01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
kawani- what kind/brand were you using?

Mamaka
01-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Ok, I'm convinced to try co. :) A few questions:

* has anyone tried wilderness family naturals co? how is the taste, texture? I usually do an order through azure standard and my co choices through them are wfn, spectrum and garden of life.

* what's a good price?

crunchymum
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
since I've been using the CO my skin has broken out really bad. I have bad acne to begin with but now it's horrible. I think I may need to stop. And I was really liking how it made my skin not so dry! :(

on your face or elsewhere? i don't use it on my face, just my body... what were you using before? if it was stripping your face (like proactive) you would need some time to get back in balance. but maybe it's just too heavy for you, or you need to use less - my sister stopped using any moisturizer because she would always break out. she finally got an analysis and figured out she have really dry skin at the edges of her face, and oily towards the middle. so instead of dotting her moisturizer on her chin, nose and forehead and spreading it out, she started dotting it around the edges of her face and blending it in towards the rest of her face. amazingly, it made a huge difference!

* what's a good price?

i get nutiva from vitacost, 54 oz for about $20. :)

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm using Spectrum brand. I was using it my face, just a tiny bit rubbed on my hands then on my face. Before I just used really diluted Dr. Bronners to wash & nothing to moisturize (Hadn't found anything that didn't make me break out. :shrug ) ANd I think I have combo skin. It's like, oily but really flaky at the same time. I've been brushing too and that makes a little difference (my skin, of course :wink ) but not enough. My face is so totally broke out..it hasn't been this bad in years. I even wore makeup for the second time in a year just to try and cover it up. Ick.

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
OK, another question. I am in the middle (OK, more toward the beginning :wink ) of a juice fast. I was wondering (I think I asked before but I don't recall if anyone answered) I want to make a pina colada tasting drink (pineapple juice, coconut, maybe I'll add some OJ too.) If I add CO, will it make it taste like one or will the oil just make it all icky?

cobluegirl
01-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't think you will taste much of the oil in that type of a drink..if you want a pina colada taste I would use some coconut milk too

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Hmm, Is there such thing as coconut creme without added sugar? I don't know how to go about getting fresh coconut milk. All my books say you need "young" coconuts, and they are white, but I've never seen one.

cobluegirl
01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I just buy coconut milk in a can. it isn't sweetened. to my knowledge it is just fine...

Rabbit
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I didn't think coconut cream usually had sugar added. It's just the liquid pressed out of the coconut flesh, and is naturally a little bit sweet. I've seen cans of pseudo coconut cream, sold for mixing drinks, and it's full of additives and strange stuff, but you can get cans of pure coconut cream at Kroger.

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I didn't think coconut cream usually had sugar added. It's just the liquid pressed out of the coconut flesh, and is naturally a little bit sweet. I've seen cans of pseudo coconut cream, sold for mixing drinks, and it's full of additives and strange stuff, but you can get cans of pure coconut cream at Kroger.

Ahhh...the only kind I've seen is for mixing drinks, and it's good, but it is full of nasty stuff. We don't have Kroger. WOuld they have it at Whole Foods? Where would I look? ANd I think I actually have a can of coconut milk somewhere... :think

cobluegirl
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
look in the asian section of the grocery store..

cobluegirl
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
yes whole foods should have it.

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
:ty

Mamaka
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
* what's a good price?

i get nutiva from vitacost, 54 oz for about $20. :)

:ty

erh384
01-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Kawani- I buy "mature" coconuts at walmart... I get the coconut "water" out by poking out 2 "eyes" with a hammer/screwdriver. Then we open the coconut and make all sorts of things out of the meat (including coconut milk/cream). Its MUCH simpler to make with young coconuts from my understanding, but :shrug where you can get those *this far north* (lol).

I'm all about coconutty flavor and off to buy some EVCO!

crunchymum
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
kawani, if you're juice fasting, do you think you may be detoxing? that may contribute to the breaking out... :hug

poleidopy
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
kawani, if you're juice fasting, do you think you may be detoxing? that may contribute to the breaking out... :hug

No, the breakout started before the fast. And I'm only on day two (but even that's cheating because I started Saturday but ate real food yesterday, so I guess I'm on day 1.) TBH I usually don't notice any detox symptoms when I fast. :scratch :shrug

See, the thing w/ the "mature" coconuts is that once or twice i got some that must have been really old or something. The water that came out of them wasn't edible and it was NASTY. SO I'm kinda scared to try again. And it's *so* hard to get the pulp out of them, which I love to use too. I really wish I could find "young" coconuts.

erh384
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
See, the thing w/ the "mature" coconuts is that once or twice i got some that must have been really old or something. The water that came out of them wasn't edible and it was NASTY. SO I'm kinda scared to try again. And it's *so* hard to get the pulp out of them, which I love to use too. I really wish I could find "young" coconuts.

With the mature ones it can be hard to tell if its rancid... I've returned plenty of nasty ones and only eaten a handful of good ones. Mmmmmm, I share your wish... fresh young coconuts.

gabriola
01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Marking this to come back and read through everything.

Ima LeShalosh
01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I started using CO in the diaper wipes solution I make...we are going cloth...will CO cause build up problems on my dipes?

Here is my solution...

4cups water
2Tbs CO
2Tbs Aloe Vera Gel

I use to use OO...but I LOVE the softness of the CO on the wipes and the non-greasy feel now. Does anyone know if I will have problems with this solution on my dipes?

klpmommy
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I have just been using a wet washcloth for my wipes- I keep them by the sink, grab one & wet it with warm water on my way to the changing table. Cheap, easy & I am all for both of those. :sillygrin

Ima LeShalosh
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
My kiddos have sever rash issues (though maybe that will change now that I am going cloth :think ) and the Aloe keeps rashes gone and the oil helps the towel to glide over the bum without any sticking.

klpmommy
01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll be interested to see if that changes with cloth diapers. :yes

tempus vernum
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Once I read something about coconut oil being the massage oil of choice by many massage therapists because it rinsed out so easily :shrug so hopefully it won't leave a residue on your dipes. I know how hard oil can be to remove from cloth! :doh

crunchymum
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
bumping for someone... ;)

btw, my sister is in massage therapy school, and she was over monday to give me a massage... i remembered what you said, jodi, so i asked her if she ever used it, she said no. so i got my tub out for the massage - she loved it! :tu she said it works really well (and she kept rubbing it on *her* hands and arms, too. :giggle ). i think she's going to order some.

ArmsOfLove
01-23-2008, 09:04 AM
I am trying to switch to it and my skin is better, my bowels are a-movin :O, but it's SO expensive when we have a family of 7. It's not like I want to keep the good stuff just for me and leave them the crud :(

Those of you who use it, do you use it for EVERYTHING? Or do you use it and other things also?

BHope
01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I ordered a gallon of Nutiva for $49.99 plus free shipping. Not exactly cheap, but considering I was spending close to 14 dollars for 16 ounces, it's a remarkable savings. I just got an email, today in fact, with the UPS tracking code for it. So I'm following my oil as it travels from California to TX. :lol

TuneMyHeart
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
CO is clearing up Ellie's eczema on her cheeks! :woohoo

Katydid
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
I ordered a gallon of Nutiva for $49.99 plus free shipping. Not exactly cheap, but considering I was spending close to 14 dollars for 16 ounces, it's a remarkable savings. I just got an email, today in fact, with the UPS tracking code for it. So I'm following my oil as it travels from California to TX. :lol

Where did you buy from? And how many ounces are in a gallon? :think :shifty

Mamaka
01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Anyone use Wilderness Family CO?

Mamaka
01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
And how many ounces are in a gallon? :think :shifty

128 I think

BHope
01-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I bought directly from nutiva. I had looked at a bunch of different places and the free shipping was worth it. (They say they offer free shipping on any order over $30.00) I've seen coconut oil for less, elsewhere, but you either have to pay out the nose for shipping or the oil wasn't raw virgin.

cobluegirl
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I think wilderness family natural is good. I haven't used them yet.

Mamaka
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Rachael. :)

joyful mama
01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
i've mainly used it to bake with my oatmeal, b/c I don't mind the coconut flavor in my oats. Oh I've baked with it in my bean cake before and it was good. I'm too afraid to use it in my eggs :shifty. i might try it in my smoothies though. it was $10 for a 1 pound jar of organic extra virgin co at the store. $$!

cobluegirl
01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I didn't like it in eggs at first but I got used to it really quickly.

TuneMyHeart
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I couldn't taste it in eggs, but I didn't like it in cookies (I think I just missed the butter flavor).

Marielle
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
vitacost has great prices for the nutiva and they have a $4.99 flat fee shipping so I just placed my monthly order and included it.

joyful mama
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I didn't like it in eggs at first but I got used to it really quickly.
I'll try it when I get to my second trimester. I can't handle new tastes in the first trimester :shifty :lol
vitacost has great prices for the nutiva and they have a $4.99 flat fee shipping so I just placed my monthly order and included it.
i didn't even think of them! i love vitacost and we need some things soon :yes

joyful mama
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
:jawdrop check out the price extra virgin coconut oil (http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Oil) for 54 ounces!

TuneMyHeart
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
This site was recommended to me - https://www.greenpasture.org/products/ Their cost for 1 gallon is about $40. It's organic, cold pressed coconut oil. If you had someone local to split shipping with, it's not too bad. It's cheaper for me just to order nutiva from frontier.

BHope
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Is the nutivia through frontier virgin? expeller expressed?

TuneMyHeart
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Is the nutivia through frontier virgin? expeller expressed?

Yep!

erh384
01-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Dd & I have both been loving coconut oil (we keep it in the fridge and eat a little piece like it was candy... yummmmmmmm). Dh didn't notice the taste at all when I used it in his eggs or corn muffins.

I just r'cd my order from vitacost which included my nutiva :rockon :shifty I already opened it bc I wanted to compare it to the Jarrows I have(the coconutty one, jarrows also has a "no coconut flavor" one). I think the Jarrows is a little more coconutty tasting than the Nutiva, but the Nutiva wins out on cost.

Mamaka
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Amazon also carries Nutiva in their grocery section, $22 for 54 oz and it's eligible for free shipping if your total order is at least $25

Katydid
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Amazon also carries Nutiva in their grocery section, $22 for 54 oz and it's eligible for free shipping if your total order is at least $25

Oh, thanks for the heads up on this! I just ordered that and a couple of books I've been wanting. :rockon

crunchymum
01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
:jawdrop check out the price extra virgin coconut oil (http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Oil) for 54 ounces!

:yes that's what i get...

HummusDip
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
So I put the CO all over my body and face after my shower today! It was GREAT! My skin feels sooooooo smooth already. I put it all over my dd too after her bath and she seemed to like it too. My dh commented that I smelled lovely. :giggle

So then I told him all about the CO and he's all in! :thumbsup We are using it tonight to cook some chicken up and he even wants me to make those candies! He has excema really bad on his legs so he plans to start using it for that.

I'm so glad I got this stuff!

I got mine from our local co-op, it's raw organic virgin cold pressed CO and it's made pretty locally, in Eugene, Or. Of course the coconuts don't come from Eugene, but I like that it's made close by me. Oh and it was 4.80 cents I believe, plus my 10% off discount, so I think I'll stick with getting this stuff rather than buying some online.

crunchymum
01-23-2008, 06:26 PM
:tu

krysmh
01-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Hmm. I buy Swanson brand and really like it, but the Nutiva on Amazon is a bit cheaper. I might try it. I hope it's as good!

simplegirl
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Last night I was getting hungry and so I decided to finally open the CO I bought and eat a spoonful. YUCK! It tasted like plastic. Well, it was the Spectrum brand and I noticed that it WAS NOT extra virgin, not even virgin :( BUT it will be great for cooking b/c of the lack of taste. Now on to buy extra virgin somewhere!

crunchymum
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
yeah, the refined kind is not so good.. doesn't have the benefits, either. :hug2

HomeWithMyBabies
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Hmm. I buy Swanson brand and really like it, but the Nutiva on Amazon is a bit cheaper. I might try it. I hope it's as good!

I really like the Nutiva, I think it's my favorite. The store where my dad works carries Nature's Way, and he sometimes feels compelled to buy us some organics while he's at work, so of course that's what we're using! ;) It's good too.

allisonintx
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
I like the Nature's Way well enough. I think it's comparable to Nutiva, but the store near us carries it in tiny tiny jars, and I get the Nutiva by the gallon.

HummusDip
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
what's the difference between virgin and extra virgin?

Mine's virgin....

BHope
01-24-2008, 09:01 PM
According to some articles, there really isn't a difference.

RealLifeMama
01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyone know if you can get nutiva from United/UNFI ? (Jodi? :poke)

cobluegirl
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Allison where do you buy it in the gallon?

allisonintx
01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I got the link to the place from this thread a couple of pages back..

TrinMama
04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
coming back to read...

tempus vernum
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Anyone know if you can get nutiva from United/UNFI ? (Jodi? :poke)

Hey, I just saw this

Yep :yes Here are the "numbers" for UNFI :) I get mine through UNFI or frontier usually :) I am

Nutiva 1 gallon == #648816
Nutiva 54 oz = 740357
Nutiva 15 oz -- 389874

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
need so sub! Love CO..I have alot I need to use but haven't...I've got a 15 oz jar of nutiva organic EVCO and the LouAna brand I have a container of here I am not so sure about, although it does say non-hydrogenated and 100% CO?

bananacake
08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
:cup :cookie

joyfulmomof2
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
A few questions. I have was a lot of pages but do not have anymore time. :O Forgive me if these were covered.

Has anyone tried the 365 WF brand and if so how does it compare to nutiva and the others?

Can I use CO in lieu of conditioner when going no-poo or doing curly girl? Or will it just regulate my hair over time internally?

Is it good for lip balm?

Does WF carry the raw CO? That is what I want, yes?

Does it help with ADHD type symptoms at all?

Thank you?