PDA

View Full Version : what to say when your child...

hopeforchange
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
does what you say? dd is 13 months old and i want to acknowledge when she actually does something i ask :)

for example: my dad's router is on the floor with green lights and a green button. anwyn likes to crawl under the desk and push the button. i don't know what the button does (lol) but i don't want her pushing it. so i started telling her (when she started crawling under the desk) "put/keep your hands on the floor" or "that's granddad's button". after a week or so of me saying this, and of course always getting right up and moving her and redirecting her to play with one of her toys, she has started leaving her hands on the floor as i walk toward her, instead of reaching out to go ahead and touch the button :)

that makes me very happy that she is learning to do what i say :yes what can i say to her to praise her for this? should i be praising her or acknowledging this, or should i be taking it for granted that she will do what i say? :scratch i've said "thank you baby girl for keeping your hands on the floor!" or "good girl for listening to mommy"...but i'm not sure if that's the best thing to say, or if i should say anything.

Beauty4Ashes
09-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I like the first option. I know that when my dc do something that I like, I try to be as descriptive of their behavior as possible. Something like "thank you for holding my hand when we went out today. I like holding hands with you and it makes shopping so much easier when we stay together".

ProudMommaof2
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I like the first option. I know that when my dc do something that I like, I try to be as descriptive of their behavior as possible. Something like "thank you for holding my hand when we went out today. I like holding hands with you and it makes shopping so much easier when we stay together".

I agree. :yes I tend to be an exaggerated-praiser though, so I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate response, but it sounds great to me! :tu :yes

CapeTownMommy
09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Also, verbalise your own feelings. "It makes mommy happy when you keep your hands on the floor".

Mother Duck
09-26-2007, 11:01 PM
:yes I'd go with the first option - I'm not into the good girl thing as it implies that if they don't get it right they are a bad girl :no2 I usually something like, "way to go, you kept your hands on the floor!" :rockon

3PeasInAPod
09-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Well , I think at 13 months - she needs to really see your happy & pleased expression more than just your calm, but positive words...IMO.
I always said to ds (& still do at times) "Good job, honey!" and gave a big smile & sometimes I even clapped. I know that might sound a little over the top..but at 13 months they really enjoy this. DS now even claps after I've told him "that's not for you" & he stops himself.. :)

nurturinglovely
09-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Well , I think at 13 months - she needs to really see your happy & pleased expression more than just your calm, but positive words...IMO.
I always said to ds (& still do at times) "Good job, honey!" and gave a big smile & sometimes I even clapped. I know that might sound a little over the top..but at 13 months they really enjoy this. DS now even claps after I've told him "that's not for you" & he stops himself.. :)

thats great! ita! :rockon

mamaKristin
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Also, verbalise your own feelings. "It makes mommy happy when you keep your hands on the floor".

Actually, I wouldn't go this route. I don't want to have my children feel responsible for my happiness. I like a "you did it!" instead of a "good girl" or a "that makes me happy". "Good girl(boy)" isn't praising the action, but is putting more of a value judgment on the person. I'd rather praise the competence of the action.