PDA

View Full Version : Noncompliance w/ my LE

KatieMae
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
At least I think it's "noncompliance"

Lilia, almost 3 years old
Almost every diaper change, bathtime, teeth/hair-brushing time or getting dressed time, she's fighting me. 1 in 5 attempts works without problem, but it usually goes like this: I tell her, in a calm, upbeat tone, that it's time to ____. She'll look away & pretend she didn't hear me. I'll say it again & she continues to ignore me. Repeat a few times, me becoming less patient each time, though I'm being mindful of it now and remain calm most times. If I move over to her & take her hand or try to lay her down for a change, she goes limp or starts wrestling away and begins to whine/cry. I usually continue talking to her calmly, reminding her what I'm doing & that she can just relax and let me do it. Well it's almost always a fight & if I give up halfway thru it, she just continues to cry & look pitiful and eventually (like, ten minutes later) come to me to finish whatever we were doing. I simply don't get it. She hasn't has any kind of emotional trauma, she's usually cuddly with me, she likes the outcome of all those things (a dry diaper, playing in the tub, having pretty brushed hair, etc) so I just don't know what else to do to help her know that she'll be fine & we just need to do it when I say so.

Oh, and I'm also mindful about the timing of these tasks - I rarely "interrupt" what she's doing, but wait for a lull in activity. Luke is really sensitive to that kind of thing, so I'm already in that habit. And just FTR, I don't punish her for doing this awful tantrum thing, but I do get angry & I'm sure she notices that.

Tanyia
09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Two things I see...you have a 2mth old :yes I'm guessing that makes everything just a little bit harder. Also it sounded from your post that you were repeating the request 'several' times. DD is 31 months. I give the statement once, you need to go potty, then if I get no movement I immediately move to 5 steps, ask if she needs help and then move in to give her the help she needs accomplishing the task. I find if I say it more than just those two times, my patience evaporates and I'm furious that she's 'disobeying' me (old habits die hard). Remember there are some things like diaper changes etc that she doesn't have to like. The only acceptable emotion is not happy. If you move through them acknowledging you know she doesn't really want to do them and that's okay but they just need to be done. I think that's fine.

mamaKristin
09-26-2007, 06:50 PM
try being playful. :yes "I'm going to race you to your bedroom for a diaper change. Don't let me catch you, or you might end up getting tickled!" or "open up your mouth wide like a lion and let me see those HUGE white teeth!" for tooth brushing.

Being playful has saved many a potential struggle here. In fact, the other day, we were having an 'issue' over a jacket. It could have turned into a big fight :O and then I said "quick, take this jacket and run up the stairs, I bet you can't get up there before I do!" and she went from wimpering about it (ok, both of us wimpering) to giggling and running, and doing the task at hand.