PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever frost glass?

milkmommy
09-25-2007, 10:22 AM
We have a stero cabinet sadly when we moved here our actual stero equipment was stolen (as we were moving in) so this ahs become a catch all for all our CDs and such. Whil its done right now it does have a clear glass door on it. I'd love to hid the clutter getting rid of the CD records isn't going to happen and there needed for DH work... I was thinking of frosting the glass to give it more of an opaque look... Anyone ever do this? was it a hard project did you like the outcome?
Here is a picture of the cabinet the door is off but its just a clear glass..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Ceciliasmom/100_2580.jpg this is the one thing left in this space that is just too clutterd for my taste.

Deanna

milkmommy
09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
No one? Dumb idea?

Deanna

allisonintx
09-26-2007, 11:12 AM
We used a spray to frost a window (spray paint) and it worked well. I'd do it!

thomer
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
We've frosted glass with some stuff you could paint on and then wash off. We used it to stencil names onto drinking glasses as a gift. I don't think it would work for such a large surface. But you could probably stencil frosted glass shapes or something. :shrug

Spraying would be easier.

milkmommy
09-26-2007, 12:23 PM
We used a spray to frost a window (spray paint) and it worked well. I'd do it!

how opaque was the finial result? like would it work to conceal the cabinets stuff?

Deanna

crunchymum
09-27-2007, 06:09 AM
you know i think you can find panels (like a contact paper type thing) that you just stick onto the inside. :yes it would definitely hide what was inside...

doubleblessings
09-27-2007, 06:13 AM
We've frosted glass with some stuff you could paint on and then wash off. We used it to stencil names onto drinking glasses as a gift. I don't think it would work for such a large surface. But you could probably stencil frosted glass shapes or something. :shrug

Spraying would be easier.

:yes
We've done this, but I agree I don't think it would work well on such a big thing (at least it would be expensive unless you found bigger quantites than we bought of the stuff).

crunchymum
09-27-2007, 06:16 AM
ok, something like this: http://www.windowfilmworld.com/frosted_privacy_film.htm or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FROSTED-GLASS-SELF-ADHESIVE-CONTACT-PAPER-WINDOW-FILM_W0QQitemZ170152062450QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3202Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem, or even clear contact paper is kind of frosty, that might work, too...

milkmommy
09-27-2007, 08:35 AM
ohh I like the films :think I'll have to reasearch a little to see exactly the cost. and where I can get it IRL..

Deanna

doubleblessings
09-27-2007, 08:46 AM
If you want a temporary cheep solution. When my SIL was remodeling and didn't have window treatments up they covered their windows with wax paper.

MarynMunchkins
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
We just used the spray paint to do the window on our front door, and it looks great. You can see light and shape through it, but nothing else. It was a cheap $5 solution. :tu

milkmommy
09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
We just used the spray paint to do the window on our front door, and it looks great. You can see light and shape through it, but nothing else. It was a cheap $5 solution. :tu

Ohh good to know :rockon

Deanna

mom2threegirls
09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I've frosted glass before and it's really easy and pretty hard to mess up but using regular spray paint or contact paper or fabric might be even easier and cheaper :yes. I put up a cabinet in the girls' bathroom with glass panels on the doors and just taped some fabric that I pleated on the inside of the doors and it looks great and hides the clutter- and it was free with just an extra piece of fabric I had from a project. Do you have any extra fabric laying around? That could work too!

We just used the spray paint to do the window on our front door, and it looks great. You can see light and shape through it, but nothing else. It was a cheap $5 solution.

We definitely need to do that to the window on our front door too! I do NOT like people being able to see in and see if we're home (and ignoring their knocks :shifty :giggle) :yes.

milkmommy
09-27-2007, 05:19 PM
how did you tape it up with out it being noticed?

Deanna

MarynMunchkins
09-28-2007, 05:45 AM
You could use spray adhesive. :think But that would be as complicated as the frost spray anyway. :giggle

milkmommy
09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Well I have a few weeks to ponder (need new paycheck) but I'm leaning towards the frosted glass. I'd have to buy fabric anyways so its no less expensive.

Deanna

righteous mama
09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
If you are feeling uber crafty, you could even get stained glass paint. You just make a neato pattern and make it all stained glassy looking.

Or, you could wait for the cans of snow to come out... :shifty

milkmommy
09-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not crafty I really need to keep it simple :P~

Deanna