PDA

View Full Version : Good safe way to rid of spiders?

growingmommy
09-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Last year we were infested... it's somewhat better this year. But, anyway.. i've killed 4 yellow sac spiders (little white/yellowish)... they build little silk tent things and sleep in there during the day. Well, From what I've read, they are very aggressive, and their bite can cause some tissue necrosion... similar to the brown recluse, but not as bad. So, anyway, other than removing their little tents and killing the spider.. I'd like to use stuff in the house that's not harmful for us to breathe in. Here I thought the lavender EO in my cleaning stuff would help keep em away :mad
Anyway, anyone know of anything?

SilverMoon
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
This was just recommended to me:
OrthoŽ Home DefenseŽ Indoor Insect Killer

Quickly kills ants, roaches, and flies.
Exclusive formula made with orange peel extract.
Can be used with confidence around children and pets, and in the kitchen and pantry.
Adjustable sprayer for spray (surface treatment) and stream (crack and crevice) applications.

usage
How to Use
Turn nozzle to stream for crack and crevice applications. Turn nozzle to spray for surface applications or to kill flying insects.

When to Apply
Whenever insects are present.

Where to Use
Indoors, anywhere bugs are a problem.

What It Controls
Kills ants, roaches, flies, mosquitoes and fleas.

I didn't know what you said about those spiders. We have them all the time, and I hate them. Just the idea of those things. I watched one cut out of it's little tent and it's so creepy! Last week I put on a top from my closet and my son pointed out an empty tent on the sleeve. I ripped that thing off so fast! Even after a wash all of the web didn't wash off.

Drew
09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I'll have to try this. We're having a surge of spiders right now as well. Thankfully not those super creepy tent ones though. Ick!

I didn't know what you said about those spiders. We have them all the time, and I hate them. Just the idea of those things. I watched one cut out of it's little tent and it's so creepy! Last week I put on a top from my closet and my son pointed out an empty tent on the sleeve. I ripped that thing off so fast! Even after a wash all of the web didn't wash off.

I would have probably burned the thing out of fear. :shiver I seriously hate spiders.

JessicaTX
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, the thing is, spiders don't crawl low to the ground to drag their abdomen through poison, and they don't clean their legs or anything either, so most stuff you put down doesn't affect spiders at all. the best thing you can do is kill em when you see them. Or you could buy birds to eat em :P I have chickens to munch up the black widows that like to hang around my house.

rosesnsnails
09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
You might look into diatamatious earth. (I have no idea how to spell that. :) )

Or you could let geckos run free in your home. ( I think they eat spiders. :) ) We do this unintentionally.

Mrs. Potatohead
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I was recently told that if you have spiders, you won't have termites. So maybe spiders are good??? :shrug I have a hard time appreciating spiders, but we have tons in our garage and around our windows, so at least maybe they're doing something useful....

freshwaterfish
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
chestnuts!! My stepmom sprinkled ground chestnuts all over her basement when she was having a problem, and outside the windows and doors and it really helped... Do a google search online and you should find more info... HTH

April

growingmommy
09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
This was just recommended to me:
OrthoŽ Home DefenseŽ Indoor Insect Killer

Quickly kills ants, roaches, and flies.
Exclusive formula made with orange peel extract.
Can be used with confidence around children and pets, and in the kitchen and pantry.
Adjustable sprayer for spray (surface treatment) and stream (crack and crevice) applications.

usage
How to Use
Turn nozzle to stream for crack and crevice applications. Turn nozzle to spray for surface applications or to kill flying insects.

When to Apply
Whenever insects are present.

Where to Use
Indoors, anywhere bugs are a problem.

What It Controls
Kills ants, roaches, flies, mosquitoes and fleas.

oy... yeah, they're awful.... make sure you check clothes/shoes before putting them on. You should see my car doors :mad