PDA

View Full Version : Why bother cleaning floors?

righteous mama
09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Last night dh swept the kitchen floor and I mopped it real good.

This morning, dd#1 spilled half a bag of parakeet food on my clean floor.

:sigh

Chris3jam
09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Murphy's Law. And it doesn't matter how long you wait. It doesn't. And it doesn't matter who mops it. But, something *will* be spilled, tracked in, or broken on a freshly mopped floor. Just. . . accept it. Don't fight it. It's just the nature of the universe.

righteous mama
09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Murphy's Law. And it doesn't matter how long you wait. It doesn't. And it doesn't matter who mops it. But, something *will* be spilled, tracked in, or broken on a freshly mopped floor. Just. . . accept it. Don't fight it. It's just the nature of the universe.
:giggle

cybelle1980
09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
So true about the universal law. But at least your floor is cleaner than it would have been if the parakeet food had just been added to the already-dirty floor. :tu

homemommy40
09-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I can sympathize with you- sooo frustrating. We have three dogs and it rained and snowed today- enough said. :mad

BKMommy
09-27-2007, 10:40 PM
I always wonder that myself. :shrug

apmommy
09-28-2007, 02:25 AM
isn't that the truth? as soon as i clean something..bam it gets messed up again. it is so frustrating. :hug2

righteous mama
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
So true about the universal law. But at least your floor is cleaner than it would have been if the parakeet food had just been added to the already-dirty floor. :tu

Is that fuzzy logic? :giggle

abbiroads
09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
so we haven't answered the question - why bother?

righteous mama
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
so we haven't answered the question - why bother?

Oh, you are my kinda girl! OK. Let's think. Ethical reasons? Big picture reasons? Why bother? Does this go beyond merely a clean floor? Is there a bigger cosmic reason why we mop?

zak
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Whaaa? Your magic Shaklee floor cleaner doesn't override the universal law of dirty floors? Mine does! ;)

Just kidding. I mopped on Wednesday and then asked hubby to help me finish cleaning the kitchen (company was coming) and he proceeded to wipe down the stovetop and just let the crumbs fall to the floor... THEN he said, "Oh, were you done mopping?" after I JUST rinsed and put the mop away! :doh Good thing the dogs like stovetop crumbs! :shifty

klpmommy
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm with you. I need to vaccuum crumbs from the floor after every meal. It is so frustrating.

righteous mama
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Whaaa? Your magic Shaklee floor cleaner doesn't override the universal law of dirty floors? Mine does! ;)

Ack! I used a Swiffer! That's why! OK. Problem solved.

I can't stand the smell of the Swiffer, but love the ease. I'm waiting for the Shaklee version to come out. Oh, that would just be fabulous. The pad wouldn't be disposible...just wash...the fluid would be refillable with just a few drops of H. Ah. Shaklee heaven. :lol

Chris3jam
09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Hrm. Why bother? Because I fear that CPS will come drag my children away? Because my feet stick to the floor like there's glue on it? (and as much as I like to cook, I really don't want to be 'stuck' in the kitchen forever :shifty). Because the word is getting out to the animal population (notably the rats and roaches) that there is this *fantastic* buffet at this address. ... .*all* you can eat? That *I* am starting to jump and avoid places on the floor that could rival the floors of any busy restaurant (oh, wait. we are, aren't we?)? Or, the *main* reason. .. .company is coming. ... and *my* floors better be cleaner than her floors! :shifty

abbiroads
09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
company...........RIGHT!!! Okay, I have some company coming soon, so I guess I'll have to work up the urge to mop.

Heather Micaela
09-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Ack! I used a Swiffer! That's why! OK. Problem solved.

I can't stand the smell of the Swiffer, but love the ease. I'm waiting for the Shaklee version to come out. Oh, that would just be fabulous. The pad wouldn't be disposible...just wash...the fluid would be refillable with just a few drops of H. Ah. Shaklee heaven. :lol

You can use your shacklee cleaner with this and dtill have the ease of a swiffer. Pus it is re-usable :tu
http://www.starfibers.com/starmoppro.php

It is what I have used for 3 years

righteous mama
09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh Heather. You are brilliant. I didn't know this item existed. :tu

Heather Micaela
09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Try the as seen on tv store or bed bath and beyond

zak
09-28-2007, 07:22 PM
:cool That's really neat! For now I just fill my sink with some water and H or G and mop with a regular old Libbman, but that "ease of the swiffer" idea is very cool!

bliss
10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Why? Genereal nastiness - although I have to love the way a friend does it - at the end of the evening, she takes her dirty dishtowel that's going in the laundry anyway, wrings it out of hot soapy water, and skates around the kitchen with it on her feet. :lol
My mop broke and DH, helpful, clueless man that he is, went and got me a new one - a sponge mop from the dollar store! It is worth every penny... :giggle

4MKfam
10-01-2007, 11:35 AM
:giggle This is timely. I just got back from cleaning dh's grandparents' floors. Fortunately I figured out before I got the job that in dh's family, sponge mopping is not acceptable. Cleaning the floor means down-on-hands-and-knees scrubbing with a bucket and a rag. Sponge mopping is just done between that to maintain it. Floor scrubbing is done weekly (if you have kids), or for gma and gpa, every other week. I used to wonder how sil managed without a sponge mop (she borrowed mine when she was pregnant, and I was surprised she was able to make it without one :giggle) --apparently she followed the family way of scrubbing the floors the old fashioned way :shrug. Anyone else do it this way, or is it a Dutch thing?

BKMommy
10-01-2007, 11:46 AM
My mom used to do this every week and she isn't dutch... :P~

abbiroads
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought it was a Dutch thing, my Oma is crazy clean.

Heather Micaela
10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Anyone else do it this way, or is it a Dutch thing?
My MIL thinks this is the only acceptable way to mop - And that includes moving the table and chairs to another room and moving over the refrigerator

doubleblessings
10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I use one of the clorox wet mops and fill up the refillable stuff with water (I may try my H2 in it though). If I think I need more than water I just spray with my spray bottle and then use the water to rinse. I made my own pads out of old wash cloths (just cut half circles out of each side so they would fit) and wash them when I finish.

righteous mama
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
We do the on the floor scrubbing, too. The Swiffer is only for in between times or when I need a quickie. :-)

abbiroads
10-01-2007, 01:19 PM
I should say, IO scrub too, but only about once a month, not 2-3 times a week.

Chris3jam
10-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Cleaning the floor means down-on-hands-and-knees scrubbing with a bucket and a rag. Sponge mopping is just done between that to maintain it. Floor scrubbing is done weekly (if you have kids), or for gma and gpa, every other week. I used to wonder how sil managed without a sponge mop (she borrowed mine when she was pregnant, and I was surprised she was able to make it without one ) --apparently she followed the family way of scrubbing the floors the old fashioned way . Anyone else do it this way, or is it a Dutch thing?
It may be a Slavic thing. :giggle This was my mom's method for every week, and this was what I did before the 4th child. I would move up the fridge (that was the *first* thing to go), remove the chairs and trashcan (and any other moveable floor things) into the other room and really scrub. Every week. Well. . .every week the house got a mini-spring clean, so that was part of it.

righteous mama
10-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Not Slavic here. German/Irish/Scottish/English (mostly). I think mine has to do with being raised by an retired army man who was raised by a woman with four kids living in very dusty/muddy/sandy conditions (like Brazil, a logging camp, the mountains, and beachside in Newport Beach (before it was all she-she to live there)).

Chris3jam
10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Well. . . . German is what I mean by Slavic. . . . like Russian and Polish and the other Slavic countries. My mom is German. :)

Lavender Lily
10-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I have white linoleum kitchen floors. :doh I was using the sponge mop until after a while I started noticing stains appearing in high traffic areas. My sponge mop became useless. So I started doing my floors on hands and knees, now the stains are gone. I only do this once a week and just use the sponge mop for every day use...spot cleaning. My SIL was telling me she does this with her white tiled kitchen b/c of the same reason and also the white grout. She was told to do this by her MIL who is a German woman...could there be a connection here? :giggle

tree_hugger
10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Anyone else do it this way, or is it a Dutch thing?

I'm a hands-and-knees-scrubbing girl. I'm not Dutch. :shrug :giggle

I just like the results more.

Heather Micaela
10-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Honestly w/ the star fiber mop I dont *need* to get on hands and knees except for very stuboorn areas - the mop even picks up CRAYON with little elbow greece :tu. Seriously the best impulse buy ever