PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't protect him from this...sensitive

Mama Bird
09-24-2007, 06:15 AM
DS and I were at the grocery store Friday. There was a little boy who was probably three there with his mom. She was doing her shopping, constantly telling him (he was not in the car) how naughty he was acting. Now, I'm a realist, my son can be a real handful. But he needs nurturing and the shopping needs to be done, so I slow down, ask his opinions, and have him help. ("Would you please choose two boxes of cereal? What do you think of this carton of eggs," etc.) If he needs to be redirected, I go to a knee and say it quietly, so I don't embarrass him.

This little boy and his mom were getting louder and louder. It's a small grocery store, and I could hear her getting more and more mean to him. He had finally had enough, it seemed, when he shoved the cart (and it was a pretty full cart and a very small child) hard, making it fly across the aisle and run directly into a display of cut flowers, spraying water everywhere. Unfortunately, DS and I had just come around the corner, and there was no way to move fast enough to avoid witnessing what I knew we were going to be forced to see. She towered over him, bent over, and just wailed on him. He was screaming for her to stop, the cashier and DS and I were just in horrified shock. She hit him at least four times, hard...he fell forward with each hit. I wanted to throw up, I was shaking and so upset, but afraid to step in, lest this woman's anger be vented toward me and my unborn child...and the need to protect my own from this woman was very, very real feeling.

After the scene broke up a bit, DS and I headed down the aisle, and he tugged at my shirt. I bent to him and he said, "Mama, I promise you I won't ever act that naughty." and I said to him, "Son, a Mama should never, ever hit her little boy, and I promise you that I won't ever hit you. It's very wrong to hit, especially for a big person to hit a little person." He repeated to me several times that he'd never act that naughty. I kept assuring him that even if he did, I wouldn't hit him. It very much disturbed him, and I was furious at that woman for hitting her child, and for forcing my child to witness it.

She checked out before I did, and her son went on with life as though the spanking had never happened. But, he was completely breaking the rules by running on the counter provided to bag our groceries. There are signs posted that kids are not supposed to even sit on them, but the cashier kept her mouth shut, probably to prevent her from hitting him again.

When we were both bagging our groceries, DS and I did our normal routine where I give him a bag, then all the chips, etc. and have him be "in charge" of them. I was praising him, taking the extra time to encourage his helpfulness (how else will he learn?) and listening to that mom. She was speaking in a deliberately loud voice, praising him, even though he was doing absolutely nothing but running wild. Telling him what a good boy he is, what a big helper he was today, etc. My heart is just breaking for that poor confused little boy. And I am absolutely furious at her for doing what she did to my son, by making him witness another child being hit. Sick, sick, sick. :mad

zak
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
:mad :sick I'm so sorry you and your sweet DS had to witness that. :cry

:bheart Poor boy at the store.

Aisling
09-24-2007, 06:22 AM
:sigh That's so sad, and it's always hard to know what, if anything, to do. :cry

booboo
09-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Did the store call CPS? They should've. That poor kids. :cry This woman is obviously aware she's doing something wrong by the fact she suddenly started telling him what a *good* boy he was for no reason.

I would've gotten on my cell and called the police right in front of her. There's no excuse for abuse. :mad

crunchymum
09-24-2007, 06:31 AM
:sick

Mama Bird
09-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I doubt the lady at the store called, if she did I didn't see her do it. I thought about it, but honestly, this woman was HUGE and very, very angry. As hard as she was hitting her own child, I was truly afraid she would turn on me, KWIM? Plus, I was afraid to make her angrier...I have no doubt she would have taken it out on that poor baby.

HomeWithMyBabies
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
:cry That's awful. I'm sorry you both had to see that.

Lila
09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
What a horrible woman :mad. When I think of all the women who can't have children and would love and adore this little boy, it makes me so sad. Some people just shouldn't be parents.

mamaKristin
09-25-2007, 09:20 AM
that poor little guy, I just feel ill even thinking about that. And I'm so sorry you and your son had to witness that. :hugheart That must have been gut-wrenching to watch.

It's really hard to see things like that happen, however I think it's really important not to condemn parents who do these things and write them off as child abusers or people who shouldn't be parents. They may not have other tools in their parenting tool boxes, nor do we know what brought them to that moment. I am NOT saying that hitting your child, especially like this, is appropriate :no2, but we should also be mindful to extend grace and compassion to parents who are struggling too. I know that if you 'caught' me at the wrong time in a grocery store, you may think that I was a bad mother too - and I don't spank, shame or punish.

RubySlippers
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
I doubt the lady at the store called, if she did I didn't see her do it. I thought about it, but honestly, this woman was HUGE and very, very angry. As hard as she was hitting her own child, I was truly afraid she would turn on me, KWIM? Plus, I was afraid to make her angrier...I have no doubt she would have taken it out on that poor baby.

I understand that fear. :hugheart
I've seen something similar but more severe happen in a public place and literally stood horrified. :jawdrop
I got info on the woman and called CPS afterwards, but I couldn't move and I couldn't think during the assault. :bheart

Novella
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
:bheart That makes me so :cry I am sorry you had to witness that :hugheart

milkmommy
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
:hugheart Cecilia witnessed a 4 year old neighbor being speanked and literly dragged and over a "crime" that seemed so utterly stupid. (shes did't like him picking up sticks :hunh) It affected her deeply it scared her and now she's having to process the act by throwing around and beating up her dolls who as she says. Are bad. :cry She keeps asking if shes a bad girl and if shes bad will mommy/daddy need to hit her. :cry
Deanna

Radosny Matka
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
:bh :hughearts

mummy2boys
09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
that poor little guy, I just feel ill even thinking about that. And I'm so sorry you and your son had to witness that. That must have been gut-wrenching to watch.

:yes2 :yes2 :bheart

Freetobeme24
09-26-2007, 03:14 AM
:hugheart Cecilia witnessed a 4 year old neighbor being speanked and literly dragged and over a "crime" that seemed so utterly stupid. (shes did't like him picking up sticks :hunh) It affected her deeply it scared her and now she's having to process the act by throwing around and beating up her dolls who as she says. Are bad. :cry She keeps asking if shes a bad girl and if shes bad will mommy/daddy need to hit her. :cry
Deanna

:cry That makes me feel very sad that your little girl had to see that.

To the OP: :hug2 I am sorry you had such a horrific experience! :heart

asher
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
:hug2 Poor little guy. :cry