PDA

View Full Version : how much do I need to play with him

illinoismommy
09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I know other mamas here have said you don't really play with your kids but David wants me to and I just don't know?

Embracing Grace
09-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Ds wants me to play with me all the time! I try to give him a half hour to an hour of play time together. Usually that satisfies him. It's hard with an only child, or with a big age difference between siblings, since the mama becomes the primary playmate. Ds and I just finished playing outside, and now he is taking a bath and is content to play by himself. I don't know if this answers your question though!! Actually, I really struggle with playing with ds. I don't know how to play. It seems very tedious and boring to me. Reading Playful Parenting helped somewhat, so at least now I know how important it is for me to actually enter his world of play, and that encourages me.

OpalsMom
09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I play with DD. Not continuously, but maybe 30-60 minutes a day (I'm a WAHM, so that can be a significant chunk of our time together on weeknights). Sometimes I offer her "special time" to do whatever she wants, sometimes I make more bounded offers. If it's not special time, I can choose to put all sorts of restrictions (like, I'll only play if we kind of follow the rules, or if I have to screw the bolts on, I choose how I do it, you can't make me use the screwdriver). But usually she doesn't want much help if she's just "playing". Perhaps I need to pretend to eat something or buy something or occasionally kiss an ailing stuffed animal, but mostly the imaginary stuff she does on her own. If she's really after me it's usually because I haven't given her focused time recently, I've been doing nothing but going "Un-hunh. Yum" while typing on the computer.

CrazyChick
09-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Ds wants me to play with me all the time!

Actually, I really struggle with playing with ds. I don't know how to play. It seems very tedious and boring to me.

Thats just like it is for me - sometimes i enjoy the play but usually i find it hard as all i cna think about is the mountains of housework i need to do and could be doing!! Shall be keeping an eye on this thread for myself too!!! :popcorn

loveberry
09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Can you turn something you need to do into a game for him? Maybe wiping down the kitchen is really clearing the aliens from the windows of your spacecraft or something along those lines?

schmamy
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Can you turn something you need to do into a game for him? Maybe wiping down the kitchen is really clearing the aliens from the windows of your spacecraft or something along those lines?

:giggle cute idea!

Embracing Grace
09-21-2007, 02:11 PM

:giggle cute idea!

we do something like this :lol

hopefromgrace
09-21-2007, 07:16 PM
I think it's super great and important to play with your child.....
I mean soon, before you know it, they will be older and might not even want you to play with them or even be around them much.....
Cherish these special times. It means a lot to your child, at least I know it does to mine.
I probably play with my dd (her style of play, you know, with toys, pretending, etc... but she's a part of what I'm doing pretty much all day though... .I just include her in what I'm doing...) about 2-3 hours a day, and I actually enjoy it :) :yes

illinoismommy
09-21-2007, 08:42 PM

ha you're creative, my guy has never heard of aliens before (yet) :shifty

Rea T
09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I have been learning to do it in little snatches with K. I'll sit down and we'll start building castles with blocks, but I'll guide him into doing more and more of it so that in about 5 minutes he sort of transitions into his own little world of play. I

I've also been trying to incorporate him more into what I'm doing. He loves to put the clothes into the washer. He also likes to get out the broom and 'clean' while I am in the kitchen. Or if I need to bake something, well, pull up a chair and learn to accept a little (ok, a lot) mess.

For me it is more about the closeness than whether or not we are actually playing together.

CrazyChick
09-24-2007, 07:00 AM
You know, i really want to play with ds more as i do really think it is important i just seem to get lost when i sit down look at him and think 'play'!! This thread has got me thinking about it more and i've decided to have time each day were i do just sit and play with ds - i did it yesterday and this morning and i think i can do it and it does kinda feel good - i want him to know i am interested in his world! I've been looking round for ideas so i dont get so stuck - we were making playdoh sausages, poo, animals etc this morning
:)