PDA

View Full Version : I'm very frustrated....

GrowingInGrace
09-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Again, I'm moving pieces of furniture around.

You know what I wish we had? Just 1 more room that could be an office/craft space. That would remove the bulk of the non-essentials in the family room/dining room. The craft cabinet, my craft desk, the computer desk, the mail station (which has incoming mail on the top, and the newspaper to be recycled/junk mail to be shredded), the books I've pared down already, the 8 binders I have containing household stuff, school stuff, craft/decorating ideas and junk, my sewing stuff.

I've already decided to give up my small desk for my oldest dd. She has no space to call her own, where no one bothers her when she wants to color without her sisters bugging her. Yes, she's only 5.5 and is craving her own space. But, when I put the desk in the only possible space in their bedroom, it blocks the outlet, so I can't put a light there. :banghead So I have to find another desk or another spot for the desk.

I have a 3 bedroom home, 1100 square feet. One bedroom is the "master" bedroom (though it's hardly big enough for us), the girls room (all three girls in 1 room, and the third bedroom is the "playroom" - given to them to keep the family room toy clutter free.

I've rearranged this family room multiple times, and I'm going to do it again. It's just not possible to make this tiny house work for 5 people. Not at least with all that's going on in it.

I really need better storage solutions than we have. But I have tried and tried to come up with some good solutions, and they end up looking all piecemeal and mismatched and only add to the visual clutter going on (because I have small units at different sizes next to each other and it looks so terrible.

If I could have someone do it, I'd have 2 tall bookshelves (and deep enough to hold binders, with cabinet doors on the lower part to hide the binders) flanking the huge bay window we have, so that we'd be able to get rid of the other smaller storage pieces taking up space.

As much as I love the amount of seating the sectional we had gotten from my sister (for cheap), it's really larger than we need, and limits the configuration we can have with it.

I need dh to get off his tookus and get the old entertainment unit and tv out of the playroom and over to his moms so that I can free up some space in there too.

I'm wondering how much it would cost for a carpenter to come in and custom build something like that. Probably too much.

I'm frustrated because I can think up the solutions, but I can't make them materialize. Any time I have a good idea, I can never find what I'm looking for in the stores or even online that's good quality in a price range I can afford. It's so maddening.

GrowingInGrace
09-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Apparently it's not a very interesting thread. That's okay. I'll write for myself. I got dh to disassemble the entertainment unit and drive that and the tv over to his moms house. So I'm happy about that. I still have tons of things to organize. I gave up sometime last night because I'm running out of bins/boxes to put things in.

As much as I didn't like giving up my little writing desk, I barely got to use it anyway. So now it's gone and in it's place is a art cubby I moved from the dining room, so that's one less thing in there.

Now, if I could get a smaller dining room table, I'd be all set in there. The table we have is a bit too wide and it takes up more space than we really have in here.

Close2MyHeart
09-24-2007, 11:07 AM
:hug Casey :hug I think sometimes when threads are long it's difficult for some to read it all.

But I read it. :grin

We're a family of 6 living in the same size home as you. We have a basement, but it can't be finished due to wetness in springtime. We use it for storage tho.

I recently eliminated a TON of toys. Not because I thought it would solve storage problems, but because the boys weren't picking them up. So I said I'd do it, but they'd be goingt o the basement. What a difference that made in the bedrooms.

However, I'm struggling w/ finding good storage as well. It seems like there just isn't enough space, but then I think about it and realize there is... we just need better organizatioin. So I'm working on it as time and $$ allows. Eliminating excess things seems to be helping. :tu

HomeWithMyBabies
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm frustrated because I can think up the solutions, but I can't make them materialize. Any time I have a good idea, I can never find what I'm looking for in the stores or even online that's good quality in a price range I can afford. It's so maddening.

Oh, I can so relate. I am full of ideas. My Dh does contract work full time, and has the skills, he's just tired of sawing and hammering by the time he gets home. I have my own personal handyman and a house in dire need of improvements!

I'm getting rid of alot of stuff right now. It helps, but I have a mental list of custom projects I want done to increase the storage here.

GrowingInGrace
09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
:hug Casey :hug I think sometimes when threads are long it's difficult for some to read it all.

But I read it. :grin

We're a family of 6 living in the same size home as you. We have a basement, but it can't be finished due to wetness in springtime. We use it for storage tho.

I recently eliminated a TON of toys. Not because I thought it would solve storage problems, but because the boys weren't picking them up. So I said I'd do it, but they'd be goingt o the basement. What a difference that made in the bedrooms.

However, I'm struggling w/ finding good storage as well. It seems like there just isn't enough space, but then I think about it and realize there is... we just need better organizatioin. So I'm working on it as time and $$ allows. Eliminating excess things seems to be helping. :tu

Thanks for replying. I was so frustrated over the weekend, I really started to flip out. Today is much better than a long time. I have to keep at it, because it's really bad that I just let my emotions get the better of me wrt the mess.

GrowingInGrace
09-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Oh, I can so relate. I am full of ideas. My Dh does contract work full time, and has the skills, he's just tired of sawing and hammering by the time he gets home. I have my own personal handyman and a house in dire need of improvements!

I'm getting rid of alot of stuff right now. It helps, but I have a mental list of custom projects I want done to increase the storage here.

I decided to go with a couple of Target put it together yourself bookshelves. They are better than what I had, which was nothing. They ended up being deep enough for a bunch of binders too. Which was one of the things that constantly got lost. I also was able to move a bookshelf out of my room, into the play room, and freed up room in my room. So that helped immensely.

Consequently, my dining table is mostly clear. I still have some boxes to go through, but I decided to put them behind the couch for now instead of cluttering up our dining room table so we can eat meals there again.

GrowingInGrace
09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh, and dh did get off his tookus and disassembled the old entertainment center and took it over to his moms along with the tv in it. :heart

That helped free up space in the girls playroom.