PDA

View Full Version : Oh, GROSS!

Chris3jam
09-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Are we *that* messy that RATS decide to move in and make babies?!!?!?!?!??!?!

Ok, so we had a rat. . . a small rat, or bigger mouse. :sick2 I like to think bigger mouse, because, frankly, the potential of being very well-fed in our house is pretty realistic. :shifty (boxes of cereal, graham crackers, etc., and children never closing things up and dribbling crumbs all over). I first noticed its presence when it decided to run across my feet one night as I was on my way upstairs to bed. :jawdrop AHHHHH! :jawdrop Yes, the whole house and half the neighborhood realized what just happened. Anyway, dh, the Fierce Protector of The Home and Hearth, set up a couple of traps the next day (these are commercial traps, which guarantee an immediate and painless trip to rat heaven). Nothing. So, he brings up about 20 of these traps, and sets them up all over the kitchen and "office/pantry/dining room" the *next* day. Around 10 that night, I hear *SNAP* and I tell dh, "Clean up on aisle one!". He's in bed already, so he waits until the next day.

Taking a sideline here. . . . . . .HE PUT IT IN THE TRASH - - - IN THE HOUSE!!!! Can you say, fleas, decomp, stink, disease, plague, DEATH!?!!??!?!? :jawdrop :mad

Anyway. So, he leaves the traps out. . . he figures where there is one, there will be more. And, yep. There are more. I am so disgusted with myself. Have we become such pigs that our house is now known in the rat world as being open for business?! "Hey, guys! Look! Free rent, comfy beds, and all the food you can eat!!" :sick

I have a box of receipts on the floor next to the desk in the "office/pantry/dining room". . . just a big box of receipts. Loose receipts. We also have cabinets and books and a file cabinet, etc., etc. Well. . . . on my way upstairs to bed last night, I hear rustling. From the "office/pantry/dining room". . . .I turn on the light. . . . . . the noise continues. . . .I try to track it down. . . . . it appears to be coming from the box in the corner. I am brave enough to look at the tiny space between the box and the filing cabinet . .. .and I see gray and a tail.

*sigh* I cannot look . . . . I need to leave that to Fierce Protector of The Home and Hearth for when he gets home from work tonight. But, I have a very sneaky suspician that, in that box of loose receipts (paper), there will be found a nest of, or at least cohabiting, rats (or big mice).

Please tell me that our housekeeping, or lack thereof, has not contributed to this. . .... well, intolerable situation!!!

HomeWithMyBabies
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
:hug2 You know, they have to have gotten in from somewhere. I'd look for their point of entry. You can have a very tidy house and still have mice if they can get in easily.

GrowingInGrace
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm not letting you off the hook completely. Food sources do not help. I know this doesn't make you feel better, because I have been there myself. I have been dealing with this problem for a long time. I'm upset about it too, but mostly they come in from the garage (because it's attached). I'm not filthy, but it's hard to keep up with everything with three young children.

It totally sucks. I hate it as much as you do. And I know it's not easy for you, but someone should vacuum up any crumbs at night. There's no reason to give them an incentive to stick around, you know?

I also invested in a lot of plastic ware to keep the pests out of the stored food.

RealLifeMama
09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
:hug2
That does sound horrific!
It sounds like the traps are working, though.

You are such a good writer.