PDA

View Full Version : What does he understand??

Mert
09-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Ds is a toddler in every sense of the word... he's learning and playing and climbing and adding vocabulary and climbing and just starting to propel himself on a little bike and climbing. Are you seeing a trend here? I'm really trying to get out to the park each day and to let him play in our tiny little yard with one tiny little slide so he has some appropriate climbing. But he still climbs in the house alot!! We have to keep the kitchen chairs strategically placed around the table so he doesn't have access. I learned this by coming into the kitchen a couple of times to find my ds kneeling on the table holding a piece of fruit from the bowl on the table. He proudly smiles and announces the name of the piece of fruit. It really is adorable (aside from the dangerous and frustrating part)!!

So on to my specific situation... After we eat (when the chairs are not in their defensive positions), he likes to play in his and our seats. I allow this until he stands in a chair and/or climbs on the table which he does every time. He is then removed with tears, and we go about our day. I try to explain to him, "If you stand, you'll have to get out." Or recently, "Sit and stay, stand and out." At 18 months, I really think he's too young for such phrases. Am I right? So any suggestions to help me help him understand, or should I just quit giving him the chance when I know how it's going to end?

AmyDoll
09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Nicholas is a couple mos younger. He's a stander & a climber when he should be a sitter ;) All I do is sing "sit down, sit down, sit, sit, sit" and have him sit then in a *stern* voice say, "chairs are for sitting" - and then if he *can't* sit - I pick him up with a simple "All Done"
Tears happen - but we just reflect feelings and move on.

Mert
09-19-2007, 05:24 AM
That's pretty much what's happening here... I was just hoping there was something I could do to make it "click" for him. Thanks, Amy! :heart