PDA

View Full Version : Toilet training/teaching a non-verbal child

Linnis
09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
DS is standing. :clap So now I keep getting comments that six months after he walks he should be going to the bathroom on the toilet. I expected to wait until he had enough language to say he has to go etc. Most people around me claim they had their kids going to the bathroom on the toilet all the time by 18-22 months.

This is me. > :jawdrop

So please give me some insight. I got our nephew when he was already going to the bathroom on his own. Never had a toddler before.

JessicaTX
09-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Hmm, Just smile and nod and do what you want is my advice :P

My earliest potty trainer walked at nine and a half months, and potty trained at 27 months. I have never heard that 6 month rule. Hmm, though my latest potty trainer was also my latest walker. Walked by 13 months, and was finally potty trained somewhere near 4 lol. So I guess in my kids it's closer to potty trained by three times the walking age :P

greenjellysnakes
09-16-2007, 05:00 PM
:popcorn

Quietspirit
09-16-2007, 07:16 PM
:jawdrop

NONE of my 4 children trained before 3. I have all boys so that may have something to do with it.

If I were you, I'd just smile, nod and pass the bean dip. ;)

AmyDoll
09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Sam walked at 10 mos. He started showing consistant interest in the potty at 3. He has had 2 potty accidents this week.

I'd smile and nod.

illinoismommy
09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
that's some crazy advice :yes

.... unless you want to do EC, I don't *think* its too late to start

let's see, david stood at 7 months.... and he potty trained at 2 1/2.... :lol ... we tried several times before then too, but he just wasnt ready. He would get all confused about the things he needed to remember.....

Dana Joy
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
if you are really interested you could do late start ec- but otherwise no- waaay too early

Mother of Sons
09-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I've never heard of that :scratch I would ignore it and do what you want. BTW, is it older people telling you this? They used to recommend potty training starting at 6 months. baby grabbing my hands.

Linnis
09-16-2007, 09:38 PM
No, most were young parents. I'm starting to get the drift they were not nice about it.

Yeah I may just have to pass the bean dip.

Amber
09-16-2007, 10:59 PM
So now I keep getting comments that six months after he walks he should be going to the bathroom on the toilet.

:haha Oh my, that made me laugh. I've never heard that one before. Cole walked at 1yr, and is now 3yrs and isn't potty trained.

expatmom
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM
So now I keep getting comments that six months after he walks he should be going to the bathroom on the toilet.

:haha Oh my, that made me laugh. I've never heard that one before. Cole walked at 1yr, and is now 3yrs and isn't potty trained.

:giggle Silly people. Silly silly people. Definite bean dip moment!

illinoismommy
09-18-2007, 04:54 AM
No, most were young parents. I'm starting to get the drift they were not nice about it.

Wow I am surprised its young parents, I wonder if they had late walkers or if they use day care (so they weren't doing it themself?) :scratch

Linnis
09-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Wow I am surprised its young parents, I wonder if they had late walkers or if they use day care (so they weren't doing it themself?) :scratch

It's the I don't want to change or spend money on diapers. Which I can understand but yeah.

mwwr
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I think kids should definately be potty trained before kindergarten :yes, which is why my special- needs ds was not "ready for kindergarten" as the experts recommended. You may need to keep a lot of bean dip on hand for this crowd.

Herbwifemama
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
There is actually a potty window of opportunity around 15-17 months. I noticed dd showing signs of readiness to train, and started putting her on the potty, and she was trained in under a week. She trained when she was 17 months old. She's 19 months now. It was not traumatic for her in the least. We did partially EC, from 3 months on. But she was mostly in diapers. I told her we were going to put diapers away, and use Big Girl Panties. nak now- took he a couple days, but we rarely have accidents now.

I can't imagine NOT wanting a kid to PT early, but I do agree with the advice to nod and smile and do what you want. :)

illinoismommy
09-22-2007, 11:51 AM

It's the I don't want to change or spend money on diapers. Which I can understand but yeah.

Start too early you're just spending money on carpet cleaner and something strong for your patience as they pee accidently on your foot *again* :shifty

me
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
DS is standing. :clap So now I keep getting comments that six months after he walks he should be going to the bathroom on the toilet. ...
Ummmm???? But what if they are still to young to get their clothes on and off.....then saying he "should" be going really means they think you should be taking him.......... :scratch

....Most people around me claim they had their kids going to the bathroom on the toilet all the time by 18-22 months.

This is me. > :jawdrop

Ya if you take them at that age they will, depending on their temperament.

.....So please give me some insight. I got our nephew when he was already going to the bathroom on his own. Never had a toddler before.

When they are too small to take themselves you can communicate to them that you are willing to take them if THEY CHOOSE to not wet themselves. But it really boils down to them and if they want the benefits.
When they are old enough to take themselves, again, its still up to them. We can help them see the benefits and kind of tilt the odds but there's no sense in planning things by time lines like they were saying. They are their own person after all :)

Herbwifemama
09-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Dd goes by herself in the little potty. She can't get her panties and pants down and up by herself (though she's close!), but if she's bottomless, I won't know she's gone til she brings me her little potty.

We haven't had a poop accident since we started PTing, and though we've had pee accidents, what happens is she will dribble, notice, point to it *and hold the rest of it* til we can get her to a potty. I'd MUCH rather occasionally wipe up a bit of pee than change and wash dozens of diapers a day.

bliss
09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Just sharing the sign for "potty" -
http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_Library/ASL_Dictionary_Project/ASL_Tables/Communicator/T/Toilet.html
(make a fist, with the thumb between the index and middle finger. Shake. It's "T" for toilet, doing the potty dance :)) Although I've never heard the whole walking/potty connection, I have heard about MessianicMama's "potty window" - some kids show a real interest at that time, but to me it's a bigger pain because they can't do their own clothes yet. But mine were always real good for diaper changes - I can see wanting to push it more if you have one that's real hard to change. But thought the sign might be useful for the non-verbal child who is ready. It is an easy one, even if they can't put the thumb in the right place, turning the fist still gets the point across.

shercurrie
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Just sharing the sign for "potty" -
http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_Library/ASL_Dictionary_Project/ASL_Tables/Communicator/T/Toilet.html
(make a fist, with the thumb between the index and middle finger. Shake.

Signing for potty is a really great idea. We do some laid-back, part-time ECing, and I thought that the traditional sign for potty might be too complicated for really little ones. I just thought I'd offer the alternative we came up with, which is the "time out" sign you see in sports. It's also a "T", but a little easier for little hands to coordinate.

bliss
09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah - I'm not big on "baby signs" - I like to teach the real sign. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just speak ASL, and to me it's like saying "I'm teaching my baby spanish, but we thought bano is too difficult, so we say "toilet-o" instead." When I teach a sign I like it to be the actual sign and not a "motion". But that's just me. Usually "toilet" ends up being a shaken fist without the thumb placement, which comes later.