PDA

View Full Version : Go Mr. Rogers!!!!

Heather Micaela
09-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Ds is watching Mr. Rogers and yesterday Lady Elaine Fairchild was disciplined for ruining a bunch of King Friday dolls by painting her face on them :giggle. Her discipline was that she had to help the doll maker for 2 days in the factory.

But today she got overzealous and wanted to have the consequence of every little mistake at the factory me a spanking :jawdrop. (I was about to turn this off, but didn't). Then the commisioner of discipline reminded her that she ruined the dolls on purpose and all they had her do is help the doll maker, so it was wrong for her to want people to get spanked for making a simple mistake. Then he went on to tell her that discipline is about learning and that discipline should be good for everyone in the end :rockon When Lady Elaine said "I thought it was a bout punishment and spanking." the "commisioner of discipline" said that should be just a very tiny part.

Yes there was another mention of spanking by Mr. Rogers when the Trolly came back. He asked "Has your mommy or daddy even spanked you when you hit someone or bit your baby borther and sister?" That is because they get very scared. It does not mean they love the baby more, but because the baby is helpless.

Now, as much as I wish Mr. Rogers would've said "Spanking is wrong." - he was teaching children not adults. And I am sure that some of them are spanked that watch :(. So like that that spanking wasn't commended, but at least he gave a glimpse of why the parent might have reacted that way. And the overall message was that discipline is about learning and that even bad things can turn out for good :tu :heart

Beauty4Ashes
09-14-2007, 12:03 PM
You know, I think I saw that episode yesterday, but I didn't see the spanking part of it, only that discipline is about teaching...I kind of wished that I could have seen all of it.

cybelle1980
09-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I always loved Mr. Rogers. :heart I was flipping through this book (http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Faith-Mister-Rogers-Spiritual/dp/0849918944/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6031907-2090466?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189796748&sr=1-1) at Barnes & Noble recently and it reminded me of how cool he was.

Jenny
09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
:tu from another Mr. Rogers fan. :sillygrin

The Tickle Momster
09-14-2007, 12:15 PM
We saw that episode this morning too. I actually remember that one from when I was little.

:tu :tu for Mr. Rogers and how his ministry still continues.

4MKfam
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
We've been watching too. That episode is from 1982 (:shifty I always watch for the copyright to see when ...I like to guess and figure how old I was when I watched it as a kid :giggle). I wonder if the spanking/anti-spanking climate was different then :shrug. Today, I don't think they'd ever get away with a show advocating or even dismissing spanking/physical punishment as a legitimate thing. I have heard that Mr. Rogers was very pro-positive discipline, and it seems to be consistent with his shows.

Rabbit
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Today, I don't think they'd ever get away with a show advocating or even dismissing spanking/physical punishment as a legitimate thing. I have heard that Mr. Rogers was very pro-positive discipline, and it seems to be consistent with his shows.

Remember that Mr. Rogers is a public television show. PBS remains pro-positive parenting, as it has always been, and if anything, it is more overtly so than ever before.

Herbwifemama
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
We occasionally watch now. :) I didn't realize it when I was younger, but what a kind, loving man he was! :heart

Beauty4Ashes
09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
We occasionally watch now. :) I didn't realize it when I was younger, but what a kind, loving man he was! :heart

I wish I could just sit quietly and watch Mr. Rogers. I think that it could be very therapeutic. :heart

rosesnsnails
09-14-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.amyhollingsworth.com/first.html

Thought you might be interested in this. I :heart Mr. Rogers!

erinee
09-14-2007, 07:37 PM
:heart him! :candle

Heather Micaela
09-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I am going to have to get that book :heart

milkmommy
09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
We've been watching too. That episode is from 1982
:jawdrop I remember this epsoide from MY childhood (I was 5) I thought it was some weird mixed up flash back. WOw I can't believe that eposide has been with me so long.

Deanna