PDA

View Full Version : really struggling today

booboo
09-14-2007, 09:57 AM
We're having a tough day with homeschool. Really bad. Piglet is so hard to figure out. I know, special needs issues here. There's something in her brain that is NOT connecting right. I'm putting my post here because of discipline issues.

I think one of the problems is they don't get enough sleep. And I don't know how to deal with that. Their bedtime is 8 pm but some nights they don't get to sleep until 9:30. And they're up at 6 am. Some mornings I have to wake them up at 6 because my dh leaves for work around that time. If they're not up before he leaves and gets to kiss him goodbye (and Piglet gets her meds) then it's tantrum city in my home.

Here's one scenario from today:

Me: (to Piglet) What do you want for lunch?
Piglet: ??
Me: How about a peanutbutter sandwich?
Piglet: Yes.
So I get the peanutbutter out of the fridge. She's in the way and I ask her to please get the bread.
Piglet: I said No!
Me: You just said you wanted peanutbutter.
Piglet: I did not! I said no!
me: Okay so what do you want? (and proceed to put the pb back)
Piglet: points to peanutbutter.
me: :hunh You want the peanutbutter?
Piglet: YESSSSS!!
Me: (frustrated) You're gonna have to make it yourself. I'm tired of this game.
Piglet: aaaaahhhhhaaahhhhh!!!! (meltdown) then she makes it herself while I finish fixing mine and Rabbit's lunch.

Be honest here and tell me where I went wrong? :( This is just one of the situations. Another was her spelling practice test. She can't get any words wrong. And it means more meltdowns. She wants me to tell her if she's doing it right and I tell her just to do the best she can. More meltdowns, more crying and we somehow get through the practice test, to find she got them ALL right. :scratch And I did tell her how proud I was she did and see there was nothing to worry about. She's incredible with spelling.

help?

JJsMom
09-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Can you move their bedtime earlier? Maybe you are missing their window and that's why they are staying up until 9:30. I know my 4 yo ds really needs 11 hours of sleep per night and when he doesn't get that, things get more difficult and bedtime gets later bc he's overtired.
I don't have any advice on the pb situation. I think you handled it fine personally.
How old is Piglet?

klpmommy
09-14-2007, 10:35 AM
If you know they aren't getting enough sleep can you make bedtime earlier? I seriously protect my kids' bedtime b/c when they don't get enough sleep P (esp) is horrible to deal with & it just isn't worth it to me.

booboo
09-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Piglet will be 7 next month (10/20). She does have a severe case of adhd and mild depression. She also may have CAPD but we don't know for sure. Sometimes I try showing her what's expected of her like with homeschool but other times it's hard to show her. :shrug She is on metadate cd for her adhd.

booboo
09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I think her real problem *today* is her allergies. She's doing pretty bad. I posted in p & p. Going to the dr in an hour.

JJsMom
09-14-2007, 07:44 PM
:pray4 I hope tomorrow is a better day. :hugheart

booboo
09-15-2007, 04:41 AM
The dr gave her some zyrtec (a sample and prescription) and told me to give her albuterol every 4 hours for her asthma. Poor kid, she's so medicated! She fell asleep a little after 8 pm last night and woke up a bit after 7. So that's good time for now.

I'm hoping today goes better too. Thanks.

ArmsOfLove
09-15-2007, 08:34 AM
at that age and with the clear communication issues I would make making lunch her responsibility--have a few choices she may pick from and let her do it--asking for help only if she needs it.

Spanish Rose
09-15-2007, 12:48 PM
:hug2

I like Crystal's suggestions. Does CAPD stand for Central Auditory Processing Disorder? Because I have an auditory processing thing going o n, and that sounds like a day from my childhood. Just a thought...

But yes, I'd look for ways to minimize the communication issues-- use charts, have her make her own lunch, give her notes, use as few words as possible, add visual cues, that sort of thing.

I hope the allergies get better. Poor girl. You're doing well though. (My mom would have screamed at me instead of just telling me to make my own sandwich. I envy your patience.)

booboo
09-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, CAPD is Central Auditory blah blah. :phew Sorry I hate all that big words stuff.

Spanish Rose, do you have this or does one of your kids? I just may pm you soon. Thanks for the tips!

Spanish Rose
09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, CAPD is Central Auditory blah blah. :phew Sorry I hate all that big words stuff.

Spanish Rose, do you have this or does one of your kids? I just may pm you soon. Thanks for the tips!

I have it. It makes life quite interesting around here.... a son who doesn't grasp the concept of volume control, a mother who can't block out noise, and a daughter who is triggered by the resulting loudness. Is there a smilie for dizzy?

Please do pm me! I'll see what I can do. :)