PDA

View Full Version : When dc are sick....

TraceMama
09-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Do you relax your standards?

Do you still use the 5 steps even though they feel miserable, are grumpy and are saying NO to everything just because?

Do you just give both of you a positive time-out for the day and not worry about their compliance?

OR

Do you carry on as normal and deal with ALL of the meltdowns resulting from their increased inablility to cooperate and/or respond as usual because they are sick?

:shrug :scratch :/ :shrug

Just wondering. Ds1 is off his game today and we've already had some issues. I'm just wondering if I'm expecting too much from a boy who doesn't feel so good.

The Tickle Momster
09-13-2007, 07:04 AM
I lower my expectations some. I don't drop all of them, but I try to be reasonable. :hug2 Having sick kiddos stinks!

TraceMama
09-14-2007, 06:38 AM
It does indeed stink! I usually just try to be reasonable too, but also try to avoid becoming permissive....if that makes sense ?

The Tickle Momster
09-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Makes total sense! :hug I think just like other parts of parenting, it's a judgement call. How sick are they and how much can they reasonably handle.

I hope your little one is better soon. :hug

klpmommy
09-16-2007, 04:36 PM
I definately lower my standards a degree or two, but I also do my best to set them up for success- that means P watches a lot of tv on those days & when E is sick that means lots of snuggle time on the couch. If I do those two things they tend to not have as many meltdowns, etc. Normally the tv is pretty limited & I don't sit & snuggle with E all day long- tbh P&E would get bored to tears if that was a normal day anyway.

:hug I hope your guys are feeling better since I am coming to this late.

TraceMama
09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
We're feeling better, thanks! Just one day of feeling punky with a hoarse voice and LOW energy level.....so an all day TV day, or almost, at least :)

HuggaBuggaMommy
09-16-2007, 06:33 PM
I lower my expectations some. I don't drop all of them, but I try to be reasonable.

:yes