PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP with over-tired baby :banghead

TraceMama
09-13-2007, 06:42 AM
My 11mo ds is WAY overtired and frankly, mama is too. So, this post will be rambly and a bit non-sequitor.....I apologize.

Ds2 is just NOT sleeping enough, at least that's what I think. Of course, his behavior doesn't seem to be affected that much --- he's as happy and active as ever, but by the end of the day there are dark circles under his eyes! Among the many problems, one of them is that his window for sleepiness seems very short --- he's walking, playing, giggling, etc. and then WHAM tired for a few moments, but by then the window is closing and NO amount of nursing (30-45 minutes) prepares him to be put down in his crib (which is really the play yard version of the Arm's Reach co-sleeper).

This morning I was sure that I caught him in his window. It was only an hour and a half after he woke up, he fell asleep quickly while nursing, but as soon as I went to lay him in his bed, he turned his whole body, lifted his arms and began to cry. So, I returned to the rocking chair to nurse some more, once he was completely asleep, moved to the side of the crib, swayed back and forth a bit, went to lay him down.....no beans! UGH! On Monday, he boycotted BOTH naps like this and I was completely thrown off kilter. Tuesday, he took a morning nap, but no afternoon nap. Yesterday, he boycotted his morning nap, napped briefly in the car around 1 while I was running an errand and then FINALLY gave in and napped in his crib around 4 p.m. Today, the first attempt at a timely nap was unsuccessful.

Is it possible he's transitioning to one nap? I don't think so.....I really think he's over-tired and teething and the doctor mentioned he might be dealing with some allergies also, but even on Tylenol he doesn't want me to put him down. The problem with slinging him is that he's so alert and active the he doesn't really nap very well on me anymore :(

So, despite a night-night routine and trying to catch him in his window, what else can I do to get him caught up on his sleep? Honestly, I also need a bit of a break from his early-toddler activity, not to mention trying to spend some time with my 3.5yo ds1.

I've been so frustrated that I just start crying while I'm picking him up out of his crib. I just don't know what to do and am to the point of wishing I could just let him CIO, not to mention wishing he had a pacifier to calm himself.

Help, please! I need some encouragement, some BTDT and some suggestions. :(

TraceMama
09-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Really? No replies? Should I move this to the Babes in Arms?

As an update, ds took two brief naps yesterday at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., but could not be laid in his bed when it came to night time. So, I held him in my arms while he slept and visited with dh a bit --- when he stirred, I went to bed with him :)

He seems to have a cold today :yes2