PDA

View Full Version : Squirming on your lap

celestial princess
09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
NOt sure if this goes here or in the age forums...

Do you let your child/children squirm around on your lap, climbing up and down, scratching and clawing at you? My ds will be 3 in october, dd turned one in june.

I have afeeling this is boredom/sensory needs stuff, but it's driving me crazy! I feel like such a mean mommy for putting them down when they start treating me like a jungle gym, but seriously!

SouthPaw
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM
As soon as my child hurts me - intentionally or unintentionally - I say OW! and stop interaction (i.e. move her off me, not ignore her). I try not to encourage things that I know *will* result in someone getting hurt, as well. Well, besides pillow fights. :giggle

milkmommy
09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
No I don't. Especially at 3 too me if I'm being "abused' Its telling me they really don't want to be sitting on my lap. :shrug I'll give do overs but I wont take being hurt.

Deanna

OpalsMom
09-11-2007, 04:17 PM
At 1 I kind of did, as long as she wasn't hurting me, at 3, no. My body, my rules. I will get up and rough-house with her, and otherwise roll around and cuddle, but I set the limits about how my body is treated.

ArmsOfLove
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
rather than answer the direct question let me say this . . . from birth I work on teaching my children how to treat me. I don't like to be mangled or wrestled so I don't let it happen :) If they are indicating they want down and it's reasonable (ie we aren't somewhere it's not okay) then I let them down. If they want up and need help I help them. But if they are playing then I redirect them to playing somewhere else :)

milkmommy
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Yea Crystal I agree. At the same time I lnow with mine her sensory issues sometimes kinda trumph what I teach and she can get grabby where she digs into my skin and pulls on my clothes hair ect not becauce shes not been taught but she just needs the touch. I still though have to protect my body so I end the lap secession. But find something she can and redirrect. I deffiently think its easier because we have taught at diffrent levels but it doesn't make it go away.

Deanna

celestial princess
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmm okay well thats all good. Problem is I've really allowed them to roughhouse indoors this summer since it has been sweltering outside, and I guess our house is too small for that. DH thinks it is anyway; I think I'm still in denial about the actual size of our family! :giggle What I mean is, I let them run and jump all over the house - they get really kind of wild sometimes - and what with the decluttering that really needs to take place, well, I don't know, it just seems like they don't have space to let out energy. we do have a yard, but like i said, it's only been the past week that it's been comfortable enough to be out there.

milkmommy
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I live in a 520 square foot apartment with no yard and tempetures well into the 100's even now. I soooooo understand the very real need to allow some degree of roughhousing add the fact you have boys and OYI yes its a huge need.
Still I refuse to allow my bosy to be hurt nor witll I drop everything I'm doing all the time to be a human playground. We wrestle we have climbing time we relax a LOT durng the summer but when the line passes to me being hurt or resenting being used then I stop the behavior. :shrug

Deanna