PDA

View Full Version : Time out/Comfort Corner...your gut reaction

Beth1231
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Obviously this thread isn't about my two month old :smile

However, I have sixteen preschoolers and school starts in two weeks. I was going through the "all about my child" packets and ten of my students get time outs at home. This really made me go :think hmm because I use a comfort corner in my classroom. Last year, it was used a lot and the kids loved it. But last year, only two of my students were getting time outs at home. SO....what is your gut reaction to the idea of a four year old having time out at home and comfort corner at school? It's a very casual thing (I don't even make an announcement that it's there), but do you think it will just be confusing and seen as a time out? And I'm wondering what the parents will think of it. I would love to hear any thoughts you may have.

MarynMunchkins
09-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I think kids are capable of understanding the difference between home and school - even in matters of discipline. But I think I'd introduce the concept of a Comfort Corner to your parents. ;)

Oliveshoots
09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with Mary. (what's new? :giggle)

I wouldn't worry too much about what the parents think (is that bad?) It's *your* classroom, *you're* the teacher. You use the method that you are most comfortable with and that you can get the best results out of. Are you worried a parent is going to expect you to punish their child? If so, most child care's steer away from punishment (even if they use time-outs...they call it something different).

Maybe your Comfort Corner will address their behavior so well that the parents will notice a difference at home, and will ask you about the technique. That could be a great selling point on the effectiveness of it. :yes

HomeWithMyBabies
09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
:yes Nodding in agreement. :)

milkmommy
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
One thing I loved about my Dd old school was the "time out" are was a quiet place with big bean bags some silk and cotton blanets stuffed and stuffed animals. They did a good job learning what boundries the kids needed for some they'd come with them cuddle op and wait out the angries in arms with others they did need to sit them down and remove the "distractions' and give them a vocal you need to set her for 2 mintues because. Neither was more punitive its just what they kids needed I liked how they met that need.
My own falls inbetween allowing her her own space with some comfort items words best at home shes actually does best being allowed to be in her own room. She also "needs" to see that these feelings of saddness anger dont have to last forever so we do often set a timer one she can see and "read" for HER its like saying okay well in two mintues things will be okay again. SO i can appreciate a kinda balanced approach..
I will say that sadly those kids that have been traied to be shamed with a timeout will find shame even with a comfort corner doesn't mean its not the best way. :hugheart

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Jane Nelson designed it for the classroom :)

Sarai
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Agreeing w/Mary (and the others ;)) .......

I have actually gotten away from using the CC at home but need to reinstitute it. :think My DS attends a private Christian preschool that does use timeouts, but I am comfortable w/the way the teacher goes about it. In mylittle corner of the world, finding a Christian school that doesn't spank or use harsher punishment that timeouts is very difficult. :/ I'd prefer she used a CC, obviously....anyway, I digress. :)