PDA

View Full Version : Are there some things you just can not and should not "make" happen?

GrowingInGrace
09-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Okay, I hope I can clarify what I mean by using two examples that were brought up yesterday at my dd2's birthday party.

Issue #1:

I made dd3 (2.5) a snack before the meal was ready. Baby carrots and dip, two cherry tomatoes cut in half, and some french bread a butter. Dd3 ate most of 1 carrot, and a few bites of the bread, and she was done. My mother wanted dd to come back and eat all of it. I know she was more interested in what was going on that the food. My mother said, "well, you get nothing more until all this is gone". I'm like, we are going to have the meal in about 20 minutes, I didn't sweat the fact that she didn't eat all of it, but enough to curb her hunger for a bit. When it came time for the meal, she looked at the food I gave her: some chicken pieces, some watermelon, and cut up meatball. She pushed it aside, and said "eeew, yucky". She's been doing that a lot lately, being really finicky, and saying "eeewww yucky" to just about anything I put in front of her. And of course, she knew it was a birthday party and knew cake would be served. She would have preferred to skip the meal and gone straight for the cake (wouldn't we all?).

I can't "make" her eat, right? I can only put down some choices but I can't force her to eat, right? If she chooses not to eat, do I have to look stern at her, use a "mean" voice, and make her sit until she eats? And eventually, she did eat a meatball when MIL got her to eat one.

And about the dessert issue (when we actually have dessert - it's not an everday thing). How do I handle the fact that two of my girls will usuall eat enough to get the dessert, but dd3 doesn't. If I bring out the dessert, it's all over. There's no way dd3 will eat dinner while the other two are eating dessert in front of her. But is it fair to delay dessert for the other two. So far, I say yes. It's just easier than dealing with the fallout.

Issue #2:

I can't make dd1(5.5) and dd2 (4) address adults when they don't feel comfortable doing so. Many people find it very strange and rude they won't answer them when they even try to make small talk with them. There shyness prevents them from doing so. They talk to those whom they feel comfortable with. They talk to dh and I, MIL and aunt in law, and my sister. But they all are made to feel comfortable by us (MIL and aunts act silly, try to encourage them to come out of their shells. And they are fun to be around). It was crystal clear to my mother yesterday why my dds open up around my ILs - they work harder to meet them on their level. They fully engage with them, they are fun and silly. My mother commented on this. She said something to the effect of "no wonder why they are the way they are (I'm not sure exactly what she was getting at, but I think it was too accustomed to being too "needy" for attention) because they get attention showered upon them by my ILs.

It's an extension of my mothers feelings about how adults should leave kids alone. Don't meet them on their level. She's constantly asking me if my kids know how to play by themselves without my involvement (yes, of course they can). And she used to constantly criticize me for keeping my kids "in arms". They are the way they are - too clingy and frightened of their own shadows - because of the attention they get.

I think now she sees my dds as being rude and thinks I should "make" them address whomever is speaking to them. Because some day not doing so will get them into trouble in school (for instance if they don't address the teacher or the principal if they ever got into trouble). And she thinks they are "at risk" for social problems and keeps harping on it because they refuse to speak to most adults. My sister said my dd2 was just being stubborn and rude for not speaking when spoken to, because it's obvious she does speak to my MIL and aunt in law, but not to anyone else.

I don't even know how to address it with the dds. I mean, I've been trying to tell them it's okay and important to talk with their grandparents and aunts, the principal at school, etc, without pressuring them to ignore their gut feeling if they don't feel comfortable talking. I don't want to extinguish that gut feeling, but they do need to try to be a little bit respectful too. And I absolutely refuse to continue making my dds uncomfortable by forcing them to speak if after the first one or two attempts to get them to say even a simple "hello or thank you" doesn't work. I try two times at most, then I say thank you for them. Part of me doesn't care if they think my kids are rude, but part of me wants to help them overcome some of their shyness.

And I do realize that they could be right by saying my dds are stubborn, but I think that will serve them well in the future if they don't buckle under pressure to do something they aren't comfortable with (I'm thinking of the teenage years when peer pressure is at the max). My mother said snottily when I said just as much, "don't be too certain of that, just wait until the teenage years and you'll see".

What do you all think of these two issues?

Close2MyHeart
09-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm just going to say what *I* do. I never know if what I do is "right" or "wrong" in the world of GBD/AP, but it works for our family.

Food issues: I don't make my kids eat. i figure they can listen to their bodies as to whether or not they are hungry or if they like what's put in front of them. :shrug Besides, how do you MAKE them eat anyway?? :shrug As far as dessert is concerned, they aren't allowed to have dessert if they leave the table w/ out eating dinner. If they aren't hungry for dinner, how can they be hungry for dessert? If they do eat at least 1/2 or more of their dinner we let them have dessert. We aren't daily dessert people either, so when we have it, it's a special thing.

On talking to adults/strangers... I don't force that either. If they aren't comfortable w/ it, I'm not going to make them do it. :shrug If it's w/ DH's parents (whom they rarely see and are shy around at first), I sit w/ them and encourage the small talk by engaging them in conversation with me that includes the grandparents as well. They warm up pretty quickly when I do that.

MarynMunchkins
09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
I don't see how you could force eating or talking. :scratch

If my kids don't eat dinner, they don't get dessert. If one isn't eating and the others are, I give a time when I'm going to serve dessert. Dinner has to be finished by that time in order to get any. :shrug

AFA talking to people, you could always role-play situations like that at home if they're feeling uncomfortable with them. :)

milkmommy
09-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I wont make it happen with eaither of those. For us.
1) I make healthy simple meals and most of the time just give DD smaller versions of what DH and I are having maybe keeping off sauces and such off of hers or dojng a simple subsution like I've give her a bannana if we are having pears (or a little of both) since I know she doesn't care for pears. We encouage her to try things and lately shes getting better but we can't force :shrug (and umm I've tried :shifty).
Dessert does have some requirmments she must eat a decent amount of her dinner to get dessert the reason is because of her blood sugar. My boundry prevents her from getting seriously sick... Right now shes an only child and DH and I just kinda wait and don't even make dessert an issue unless weve had a good day with food. Not sure how i'd handle it with multiple kids.

I'd alos not force a child to talk to adults (or other kds) I remember very much what its like to be little and shy. I never had this attitude of I refuse to talk I was actually jealous of those that could. It was just hard. I have no issues speaking on behalf of my child... Of course shes is sooooo not shy :giggle

Make it happen are things like.. We need to leave for XY she won't stop watching TV (and I've given her warnings and 5 stepped and such) and put her shoes on.. I make it happen I turn the TV off hand her a shoe and say put it on were leaving (and the degree of help varries on childs age).
Or my DD keeps grabbing toys and being yucky towards her friends if she wont listen to my telling her to stop (again GCD style) etc then I'll make it happen and put away the offending toy redirrecting to another activity or if needed sending others home and enforcing a nap.

Things like that

deanna

GrowingInGrace
09-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Make it happen are things like.. We need to leave for XY she won't stop watching TV (and I've given her warnings and 5 stepped and such) and put her shoes on.. I make it happen I turn the TV off hand her a shoe and say put it on were leaving (and the degree of help varries on childs age).
Or my DD keeps grabbing toys and being yucky towards her friends if she wont listen to my telling her to stop (again GCD style) etc then I'll make it happen and put away the offending toy redirrecting to another activity or if needed sending others home and enforcing a nap.

Things like that

deanna

That's kinda what I thought, and didn't think the food/talking issue was one of the make it happen kind of thing. Except of course, you are going to run into people and family members who think you can otherwise force a child to eat and be polite, but I found out with my extremely stubborn, strong-willed...um spirited dds, forcing those issues only make them dig in their heels more.

Sarai
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't see how you could force eating or talking. :scratch

If my kids don't eat dinner, they don't get dessert. If one isn't eating and the others are, I give a time when I'm going to serve dessert. Dinner has to be finished by that time in order to get any. :shrug

AFA talking to people, you could always role-play situations like that at home if they're feeling uncomfortable with them. :)

:yes Mary said exactly what I was going to.

OpalsMom
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
There are lots of things you can't and shouldn't make happen. Threatening (yelling, using a mean voice, punishing...) isn't making it happen (even if it usually works). If you have a compliant child, you may not notice the difference. If you have a less compliant child, you will find it out. Making it happen isn't "doing something that causes the child to do it" it's doing it yourself. You can't make a child eat, or pee, or sleep, or stop screaming, or speak. You can make them put their shoes on, go to their room, move away from the stove.

We have dessert when everybody's ready, although I do reserve the right to put a time limit on DD. Dessert is always available, but portions are limited and it's usually fruit, anyway. If you haven't eaten, you're clearly not hungry, which may further reduce the size of your dessert. Bribing and threatening about food is not a direction I'm willing to go in; it makes it about our relationship, instead of about DD's hunger. She knows what she is and isn't hungry for. Some days she's not hungry. She's not allowed to be rude about it, she doesn't get substitute foods, and she doesn't get to eat vast amounts of one preferred food (there is a limited amount of bread available to her, for instance). And then we're done. Eat it, don't eat it, not my problem.

As for talking to people, we model polite behavior, we role-play polite behavior, we talk about feeling shy and speaking anyway. DD's doing better. She rarely speaks to people she's just met, but it happens. There's definitely a difference in how she deals with people based on how they deal with her, but it's not usually about trying to draw her out, but about treating her respectfully. She also relies a good bit on my reaction to people. This is perfectly normal in small kids, and teachers and principals are used to it. The way your child is at 1.5 is not some sort of life sentence. (For instance, she's probably going to potty train, too; shyness is hardly the only handicap she'd have if she reached 8, much less 18, without picking up new skills.)

Your DDs sound very normal and lovely. I'm not bubbling over with enthusiasm to meet your mother.

JessicaTX
09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
issue #1 It's absolutely normal to hold dessert off til everyone wants some. When we have dessert, it's usually more as a snack an hour or two after dinner.
issue #2 Could you do role playing a bit? I can understand being too shy to say something, but that usually translates into fear of not knowing what to say. So if you role played with them at home perhaps they could manage. a "hi, I'm doing well" or something easy like that. If they know what to say in advance it could decrease the fearfulness, possibly :P

GrowingInGrace
09-10-2007, 11:02 AM
There are lots of things you can't and shouldn't make happen. Threatening (yelling, using a mean voice, punishing...) isn't making it happen (even if it usually works). If you have a compliant child, you may not notice the difference. If you have a less compliant child, you will find it out. Making it happen isn't "doing something that causes the child to do it" it's doing it yourself. You can't make a child eat, or pee, or sleep, or stop screaming, or speak. You can make them put their shoes on, go to their room, move away from the stove.

We have dessert when everybody's ready, although I do reserve the right to put a time limit on DD. Dessert is always available, but portions are limited and it's usually fruit, anyway. If you haven't eaten, you're clearly not hungry, which may further reduce the size of your dessert. Bribing and threatening about food is not a direction I'm willing to go in; it makes it about our relationship, instead of about DD's hunger. She knows what she is and isn't hungry for. Some days she's not hungry. She's not allowed to be rude about it, she doesn't get substitute foods, and she doesn't get to eat vast amounts of one preferred food (there is a limited amount of bread available to her, for instance). And then we're done. Eat it, don't eat it, not my problem.

As for talking to people, we model polite behavior, we role-play polite behavior, we talk about feeling shy and speaking anyway. DD's doing better. She rarely speaks to people she's just met, but it happens. There's definitely a difference in how she deals with people based on how they deal with her, but it's not usually about trying to draw her out, but about treating her respectfully. She also relies a good bit on my reaction to people. This is perfectly normal in small kids, and teachers and principals are used to it. The way your child is at 1.5 is not some sort of life sentence. (For instance, she's probably going to potty train, too; shyness is hardly the only handicap she'd have if she reached 8, much less 18, without picking up new skills.)

Your DDs sound very normal and lovely. I'm not bubbling over with enthusiasm to meet your mother.

Thank you. They are lovely. Dd1's kindergarten teacher has given me a compliment about Dd1 two days in a row now. Dd2, while quiet, participated very well in a sports camp over the summer. She didn't talk much, but eager to join in and have fun, even more so than other children who really wasn't interested in actually participating. I guess you could say she is a do-er, not a talk-er.

AFA my mother goes, any time I brought a friend over to home, they always felt an uncomfortable tension around her, so I learned not to bring my friends over so much. I guess I have to remember that my kids probably pick uo on that too.

RubySlippers
09-10-2007, 11:16 AM
What do you all think of these two issues?

I really don't think the problem is with either of these issues.
IMO the problem is with your mom and her invasive, critical presence. It sounds like you're caving to her demands that you parent a certain way instead of being confident in your own choices. :hugheart

BHope
09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Something else I always take into consideration is that birthday parties or days like that inevitably translate into "not so healthy" eating days. I try to accept it for what it is and keep healthy foods on hand as an option. She may not eat it at the party, but inevitably she will on the ride home.

I also know from experience that my DD1 will eat less of her meal because she's genuinely concerned she may not have room for cake. So, on rare occassions, I will allow her to eat desert first. She will inevidably eat a better rounded lunch if she's satisfied that she got to have her treat.

I think it would be one thing if this was an everyday occurance. But it isn't. We just don't do a lot of deserts in this house. So, I figure those rare days where we have cake or a party... well, on those days we're just going to enjoy ourselves and know that there are healthy alternatives available if we need them later.

BHope
09-10-2007, 11:32 AM
My mother said snottily when I said just as much, "don't be too certain of that, just wait until the teenage years and you'll see".

Sounds like time for some bean dip.

milkmommy
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Opps I'm such a dork :O

ArmsOfLove
09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
you're running into the point where "requiring behavior" comes up against "controlling the child" and you simply can't control hunger, tired, feeling feelings, or shyness. Even some of the most punitive speakers I've heard don't address shyness in children until age 10 :shrug

what you can do is set boundaries that put forth what you are willing to do. how much good food before sweets are allowed? what time does the day end in the home? etc.